Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

opinions of a 5.0 and shortbox trucks?

FTF'er
Too bad it didn't work out, maybe you'll find something else. Don't be afraid of the 5.0 though, it's a fine engine.

Thanks. After an afternoon of reconsideration LOL! I may go back tomorrow and give the truck one more good going over. I really want a shortbed with a 302. And my truck ain't all that much better, so I may again check out how badly rusted the thing is and go from there.

In my area it's impossible to find a truck that's not suffering from rust damage, at least one in my price range. I can do body repair work, but I get leery of rust on the underframe.

I just gave the truck a quick look over since it appeared to have more bubbling rust under the paint than I was expecting. But after thinking about the truck the rest of this day I'm leaning towards getting it and knowing I got alot of body work to do.

The truck has 40,000 fewre miles than mine, mine has a windshield that needs replaced, and this other one has new tires, and a squealing air conditioner pump. It's a coin toss with what to do!

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Thanks. After an afternoon of reconsideration LOL! I may go back tomorrow and give the truck one more good going over. I really want a shortbed with a 302. And my truck ain't all that much better, so I may again check out how badly rusted the thing is and go from there.

In my area it's impossible to find a truck that's not suffering from rust damage, at least one in my price range. I can do body repair work, but I get leery of rust on the underframe.

I just gave the truck a quick look over since it appeared to have more bubbling rust under the paint than I was expecting. But after thinking about the truck the rest of this day I'm leaning towards getting it and knowing I got alot of body work to do.

The truck has 40,000 fewre miles than mine, mine has a windshield that needs replaced, and this other one has new tires, and a squealing air conditioner pump. It's a coin toss with what to do!

One advantage to living in the Pacific Nwst- finding a "rust free" example isn't that hard, as long as it wasn't an "import" from other parts.

Last edited:
I can't imagine what it would be like to live in an area where vehicles aren't rust buckets after 10 years or less! Around here there are 2 kinds of older Ford trucks........ ones that have repair panels on the wheelwells, and ones that are rusted out around the wheelwells but haven't been patched yet!

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
I can't imagine what it would be like to live in an area where vehicles aren't rust buckets after 10 years or less! Around here there are 2 kinds of older Ford trucks........ ones that have repair panels on the wheelwells, and ones that are rusted out around the wheelwells but haven't been patched yet!

Jeepdad where are you from?

small block shortbox.

Love shortbox anythings, thats why I own a Bronco, but not much use for small blocks, depends what makes you happy though, it's all personal choice . I always choose Big blocks, need power, but the gas attendants smile when I drive by because they will see me real soon.smilieFordlogo

To answer Cliff, I'm from Pennsylvania. And around my area they throw salt on the roads as soon as it flurries!

I went back and checked out the truck I looked at yesterday. It's got a rusty frame and the bed will need some major work. The frame, I can clean up and treat. The bed sides are gonna get a generous helping of fiberglass and bondo.

I took the truck for a test drive and it ran decent. I like it being a 302 (despite what Ben thinks! LOL!!!) The owner was straight forward with me on everything so I put money down on it and will pick it up after I get my truck sold.

so now I'm joining the V8 club! Yea! Jim

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
To answer Cliff, I'm from Pennsylvania. And around my area they throw salt on the roads as soon as it flurries!

I went back and checked out the truck I looked at yesterday. It's got a rusty frame and the bed will need some major work. The frame, I can clean up and treat. The bed sides are gonna get a generous helping of fiberglass and bondo.

I took the truck for a test drive and it ran decent. I like it being a 302 (despite what Ben thinks! LOL!!!) The owner was straight forward with me on everything so I put money down on it and will pick it up after I get my truck sold.

so now I'm joining the V8 club! Yea! Jim

That is great. If you are in NC near me I know of a good yard to get parts. and they have excellent frames.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
(despite what Ben thinks! LOL!!!)

Ehh...it's all about preference really. I'm not a huge small block fan anyway, and even less so in trucks. But I'm relatively demanding of my rigs. I did admit they were fine for tooling around town.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts