Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

opinions of a 5.0 and shortbox trucks?

I currently have a '94 single cab, 300, longbox, automatic.

I'm looking to sell this truck so I can get a '94 single cab, shortbed with a 5.0 and auto.

What's your opinion on a 5.0 engine, and what about a shortbed?

I've always liked the looks of a shortbed on any old Ford, plus I do very hauling of anything so I don't really need an 8 foot bed.

My current truck is in good shape and runs fine, but it has a cracked windshield and could use decent tires. The truck I'm looking at has new tires and good glass, and body appears a bit better condition.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
My opinion of the 5.0 in a truck is negative. A 302 has/had no business being in a full size rig (in stock configuration anyway). It's under powered and a 100% slug. People think smaller engine = less gas used...well that's not so factual when your foot is in the floor to try and maintain speed and your engine is working harder. After having/driving a half dozen or so trucks/Broncos with a 302 in it with various gears and transmissions, I have absolutely ZERO love for a 302 in a full size.

As for a short bed...I like them. I think it makes a vehicle look sportier for sure, and gives the rig a different style and character. Seem to be slightly more expensive though.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I have a 302 in mine. I agree with Ben to an extent, but I don't mind my 302 at all. I was only getting 10mpg with mine but my last trip I got 13.6mpg. Not sure how that happened since I haven't changed my driving habits. For what I use my truck for it is enough power for me. I like having a shortbed too since I hardly ever haul anything. The times I do haul things I wind up needing a trailer anyway.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Does it matter if it's a flareside....Ben, I disagree, you'd drive my truck and not hate it at all.

I really don't think I would man...unless of course your 302 isn't stock. I've driven 1 gen 7 Bronco with a 302 in it, 2 gen 8 Broncos with 302's in them, 2 gen 9 150's with 302's in them and a couple dentsides with 302's in them...and none of them IN STOCK FORM were worth a pinch of $hit. Hell, the 351M I had in my Bronco that was only running on 5 cylinders was more impressive than the 302's I've had.

I have a 302 in mine. I agree with Ben to an extent, but I don't mind my 302 at all. I was only getting 10mpg with mine but my last trip I got 13.6mpg. Not sure how that happened since I haven't changed my driving habits. For what I use my truck for it is enough power for me. I like having a shortbed too since I hardly ever haul anything. The times I do haul things I wind up needing a trailer anyway.

Yeah...I probably came on a little strong...they are decent for around town driving, flat driving or down hill driving. They will definitely get you from point A to point B...so reliability is second to none, but I find much to be desired from a stocker in a full size truck. As for mpg's, I'd like to point out my 400's will routinely get between 12 and 14 mpg's...and they're up past 300rwhp.

My uncle had a 89 Bronco with a 302 and 4.10s and he had no complaints about it. IIRC, a 351W with a C6 and a 302 with an AOD the RWHP is about the same.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
my dad has a 95 F150 ext cab long bed 302 and its burning oil and is still no slouch.. stock as hell, 3.55 gears... it surprises me but it is MAF also, sure that helps some

to me a 302 should be in only mustangs and reg cab short bed trucks, 2wd's....

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
IIRC, a 351W with a C6 and a 302 with an AOD the RWHP is about the same.

completely different power bands, and no, the 351W will make more power no matter what configuration, just depends on what gear the pull on the dyno is in.

both need to be 2nd gear pulls, cause 3rd on the C6 is cruising as compared to a AOD its still somewhat and acceleration gear... would show better...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
to me a 302 should be in only mustangs and reg cab short bed trucks, 2wd's....

Did they come in much else truck wise? I thought the extent of the 302 was the 150 and Bronco.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^Damn...really? I thought the 250 had the same engine line up as the 350.

BTW...good post on the dyno explanation...tried repping, but I gotta spread it.

completely different power bands, and no, the 351W will make more power no matter what configuration, just depends on what gear the pull on the dyno is in.

both need to be 2nd gear pulls, cause 3rd on the C6 is cruising as compared to a AOD its still somewhat and acceleration gear... would show better...

I was going on effenciancy off the transmision. To the original poster there are a couple mods you can do for little to no money like bumoing the timing and putting on a 460/300 snorkel that'll give them a little more oomph.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I'd like to point out my 400's will routinely get between 12 and 14 mpg's...and they're up past 300rwhp.

I wouldn't mind having that. I actually looked to swap in a 460 before I put the engine in my truck. I even won one on Ebay, but before I went and picked it up I just decided it wasn't worth the effort for me. If I get another truck I would probably look for one with a bigger engine, but wouldn't pass up another 302 depending on what I was going to use the truck for.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
well i love my 5.0 :)

picks up and go in the reg cab longbox pretty good!

its not stock tough

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
I currently have a '94 single cab, 300, longbox, automatic.

I'm looking to sell this truck so I can get a '94 single cab, shortbed with a 5.0 and auto.

What's your opinion on a 5.0 engine, and what about a shortbed?

I've always liked the looks of a shortbed on any old Ford, plus I do very hauling of anything so I don't really need an 8 foot bed.

My current truck is in good shape and runs fine, but it has a cracked windshield and could use decent tires. The truck I'm looking at has new tires and good glass, and body appears a bit better condition.

I'm on my second 5.0 F150 S/C 4X4 (see sig pics). Both Auto's with 3.55 axle ratios. Ben and I have disagreed on this before, but I've got nothing but good to say about the 5.0. Decent power, superior fuel mileage, and they last. First one went 232,000 miles on the original engine and still didn't use a quart between oil changes. Had good enough a luck with it that we specifically looked for a 5.0 in the current '95.

Ben has his opinion- I've got well over 300,000 miles experience with 5.0's in the pickups and and two T-Birds. I personally would take a 302 over a 351 unless trailering was a top priority. Then again, if trailering were the top priority, I doubt I'd be looking at a F150.

Last edited:

FTF'er

I think 5.0 is the most awesome forum member we have... oh wait, my opinion of the engine?

I love it. One of my favorite engines.

I've had 3 vehicles that had a 302 in them, I got great mileage from all 3 and incredible reliability, no problems at all ...

1997 Ranger with a '92 5.0 HO with mass air and an AOD. 3.73 gears and 255/60-15 tires. This thing would haul *** and got 22 mpg!

1997 Explorer 5.0 with all wheel drive. 200,000 miles and ZERO problems, still runs like new. 21.5 mpg. Hauls a trailer real well.

1978 F150, 302, 3 speed manual, 2.73 gears, 235/75-15 tires. Got between 18 and 19 mpg. It would haul anything I could put in the bed, but didn't do very well with a trailer because of the gears. One time I had a 360/C6/NP205 AND a 390/C6/NP205 BOTH complete in the bed and it hauled them just fine as far as power is concerned... but the handling sucked.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Ben there are ways to improve gas mileage on a 302, which is a lot easier than your Big Blocks and FE engines. And the 302 is versatile compared to other engines which gets better gas mileage than most 300 I6 (unless it's a EFI)

I went to look at the shortbed 5.0, it wasn't worth getting. The bed was rusted and bubbling. The frame and underbody were flaking rust like nobody's business, and the owner claimed it had some leaks, so I passed on getting it.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts