Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

One of those rare satisfying incidents

I just want to see the picture of the truck with a 3516 in it.
I imagine, since it's a pit hauler, he's talking about one of the Cat 793's with the 3516:
793D1024x768.jpg

And that would be why the "automatic" trannies they are using now are not such a good idea... too many monkeys out there behind the wheels any more, the professionalism that once existed in the driving profession is waning...
The automatics are WORSE than "not a good idea" !! They are CRAP. Little to no control for the driver, terrible lag times in manuevering, (fwd/rev) and worse than anything, they introduce an even weaker link to the industry; A guy behind the wheel who's too uncoordinated to even learn to SHIFT? So, how's THAT PERSON deemed to have their wits about them in an emergency situation? What makes them think that putting someone in a rig with an automatic tranny is going to help that poor soul learn to back up in the midst of all the grocery getters and sidewalk meat?
I had to use one more than once. ARC had two trucks with "Automatics". One was full auto, the other was a "Paddle" truck (it beeps, you have to still clutch for it) and I grew weary of both very quickly. I can shift faster, smoother, and get better mileage without them. I learned quite a few "tricks" to get them to do what I wanted sometimes, but when one of them got trashed by a driver in montana, I told my boss the best thing he could DO was convert that sucker back to a 13 or 18 speed. They went with a 15, (groan! a CONSTRUCTION TRANNY) but at least it's not auto anymore.

4,211 Cu. In. engine!!!!!! No wonder it takes 4 air filters to supply clean intake air!!! Geeze-O-Pete!!!
You know, they use those engines aboard SHIPS, too... I'm surprised, with that much airflow, they don't have to scrape seagulls off the intakes! :rofl:

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont

I'm curious, Tom- that's basically how I feel about pickup automatics (and cars). But if I'm remember correctly, you don't.

Are big automatics that much worse than pickups, or is it just that you really want that extra control when you get something that big?

I'm curious, Tom- that's basically how I feel about pickup automatics (and cars). But if I'm remember correctly, you don't.

Are big automatics that much worse than pickups, or is it just that you really want that extra control when you get something that big?

Admittedly, I own two pickups with automatics. In fact that would be three if you include the motorhome as well. That being said, my PREFERENCE is, and always will be, a manual. With Manual transmissions you as the driver are much more in control, even in a pickup or car. How many automatics out there can stop a car when the brakes fail? Yes, there are E-brakes, but those are questionable at best;. But I had to concede to automatics in the interest of marital bliss. My wife is one of those I would never put behind the wheel of a big truck, bless her heart.
And I do think an automatic is useful in LEARNING the mechanics of driving, but just like school, once you learn one subject, it's time to move on to the next, in this case, to a Manual Transmission. Not only is there less to wear down in a manual transmission, there's less wear and tear on the motor, since in traffic or at stoplights you don't have the torque converter tugging at it!
So, my answer is that I PREFER manual transmissionss, but agree that at times there are concessions to be made.

blacksnapon

Staff member
A lot of issues we have had with the new trucks, have been the comparisons of a/t and m/t transmissions. The turbocharged powerstrokes for instance, the a/t engine speed will rise faster, making the turbo provide the boost faster (less lag). Manual trans causes the engine speed to be more "locked together" with ground speed (more lag). Customer complaints of "My old truck didn't have that much lag!". There is a place for both, however.

Oh, I agree! My dually is MUCH faster and tows better than the one ARC has with the 6 speed. But that was the truck we turned to when we really loaded down the ol' gooseneck, lol. It's just that the E40D is an expensive tranny to chance burning it up. I think that's why many of the Tow trucks also remain true to the manual.

Admittedly, I own two pickups with automatics. In fact that would be three if you include the motorhome as well. That being said, my PREFERENCE is, and always will be, a manual. With Manual transmissions you as the driver are much more in control, even in a pickup or car. How many automatics out there can stop a car when the brakes fail? Yes, there are E-brakes, but those are questionable at best;. But I had to concede to automatics in the interest of marital bliss. My wife is one of those I would never put behind the wheel of a big truck, bless her heart.
And I do think an automatic is useful in LEARNING the mechanics of driving, but just like school, once you learn one subject, it's time to move on to the next, in this case, to a Manual Transmission. Not only is there less to wear down in a manual transmission, there's less wear and tear on the motor, since in traffic or at stoplights you don't have the torque converter tugging at it!
So, my answer is that I PREFER manual transmissionss, but agree that at times there are concessions to be made.
She walked up while you were typing this post, right??:rolling laugh:

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
I agree with Tom as well, but I prefer the auto anymore because it's easier to deal with in traffic. The bumper-to-bumper traffic with a manual tranny is just a pain in my leg I don't have to deal with. Also, I'd NEVER put my wife in anything with a manual! She scares me with an auto! Did I mention she's blind in one eye due to a soccer injury AND she's blonde!! Yeah Tom, I know, how else do you think I coulda landed her!! :rofl:

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
You know, they use those engines aboard SHIPS, too... I'm surprised, with that much airflow, they don't have to scrape seagulls off the intakes! :rofl:

They also use them for gas compression. The 3516 A3 and the 3606 A3 are our 2 most popular drivers. Cat seriously de-rates them in gas trim. 1340HP for the 3516 and 1775HP for the 3606.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
They also use them for gas compression. The 3516 A3 and the 3606 A3 are our 2 most popular drivers. Cat seriously de-rates them in gas trim. 1340HP for the 3516 and 1775HP for the 3606.
Is that all? Shoot! As soon as I figure out how to weld 4 6.0L's together, we'll top that no problem!:rofl:

When I was working on the 3516s they were dialed in at about 2400hp; I see they've derated the current versions of the 793s. When I was leaving they were just introducing the 797s which were running about 3400hp at that time (3524s in them). You'd have a big chain 6.0s to make that engine LOL

Just to comment on the transmission discussion, in this class of truck there are only three options: Cat's mechanical drive system (multispeed automatic) or electric dc or ac drives(they're really idiot proof, 2 position shifter, forward/reverse).... And let me assure you the operators are not the cream of the crop ;) I had to fix enough operator induced issues ("I have no idea why the mouldboard fell off my grader" "Because you hit a rock the size of a house while grading at 25 mph").... I would not want to give them full shifting control control.

At Mountain High Ski resort in California they were using about about a dozen of the 3516s in Van trailers. 6 ran generators and the other 6 were water pumps and compressors for their snowmaking rigs.

Ford Truck Articles