Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Official Project Bertha Thread

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Yea i think plowing made me hate it. This year killed me. Leg is way stronger now and doesnt hurt after plowing all day hahaha. Chris knows its going in my fleet, just save urself the trouble and let me have it finally.
Bertha's here to stay ;)

Fellro

Staff member
Once you have the main trans, the related parts aren't that hard to come by. I have a set of pedals in a 90. The clutch master and slave on this one are a bit different, as it is a diesel. You can buy that from most parts stores though. Flywheel can be bought easy enough as well.

Should something happen to my 88, I would then have a full setup.. It would need gone though though, as it is temperamental until the oil and components warm up.

Biggest problem for me with the manual is having to get through the snow drifts in my lane. If I start out in 2nd, I have a hard time getting going in time to start breaking through them. If I start in 1st, I get the rpms high and if I dare try to shift (not happening now with how the trans has gotten) I will be stuck in short order... Beyond that, I don't have a problem with keeping the manual. Since I tow heavy every so often, I prefer to have manuals.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Now this is a SB ZF5 4x4 trans and all linkages:

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291001

Man I don't even like manual trannies, but both of these just popped up today...where are you looking??? Or you don't like the prices you see??? Don't wanna ship? You can find anything you want...if you're willing to pay.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
2wd has a different output shaft. The entire trans has to be taken apart to change it. Not to mention needs a new tail housing too. Not worth it.

I can't click that FSB link cuz I don't have enough posts over there. Details?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Gotcha...I just figured if you snagged one as a core to rebuild it would be torn down anyway...

Details from FSB:

i have a small block 4x4 zf along with mostly everything else you'll need for the swap for a 87-91. later or earlier trucks will need the correct pedal assy and cluster.

trans
cross member
tcase from a truck
pedal assy
cluster
following items are brand new:
clutch
fly wheel
master cyl
slave cyl
line

might also have a manual column from a 87-91

looking for $1000 OBO for everything. could deliver if you are with in 75 miles for price of fuel. can also box it up and strap it to a pallet and ship at your expense. do not ask me for a shipping quote, the pallet would be leaving from 19734 or i can drop it off at the yellow freight terminal.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Found another one on a 73-79 FB page...newly rebuilt sb 4x4 ZF5...$700. He's in kansas. Again, don't know if you're interested in shipping or not, but if you are, I'll keep my eye out. Also don't know if one year is more preferable than another, but let me know. Price range???

Fellro

Staff member
If you go to car-part.com, I find 5 listed in Califonia. Price ranges from $450 to $1313.55.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Not interested in shipping unfortunately. I prices it out to a few hundred dollars.

Thanks Roger I'll have a look at that.

primetime

sawmill slave
I imagine you already know, but thought I`d mention it anyways, each generation (7,8,9), have their own unique bracket, pedal assembly.

Try these guys Chris as they have probably close to 4 acres of real interesting stuff going from the 40s up to the late 90s including several lines of ford trucks (Deal Auto Wrecking & Recycling
(510) 232-0197
400 W Gertrude Ave) ...... i found them to be real helpful when i was over there last year - pity i didn't know you were that close or i would have called to say gidday when i was looking at a truck in Dublin.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Well the ZF swap might be cancelled! Rick is having trouble getting his Bronco smogged since he swapped in the ZF... I don't want any of that noise! I've already got enough stress worrying about my truck passing smog.

Ford Truck Articles