Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Official Project Bertha Thread

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Well after a long hiatus from working on trucks I want to try to get back into it. I helped my buddy Rick drop a motor back in his bronco last week and after talking shop about lifts and big tires I've got the bug again. Hoping an official build thread might motivate me a bit ;)

First thing I wanna do is the same thing I've wanted to do for years-- a ZF swap. In the past I was always apprehensive about this because of (1) money (2) no place to work on my truck and (3) Bertha was my daily driver. Well I've solved all three of those problems so I think the time has come. So I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a small block 4x4 ZF5; if anyone knows of one please gimme a shout!

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Some pics of what sparked this fire again :D

R3bg47F.jpg

c0O6r4U.jpg

XnRhrEA.jpg

z8Y5O3l.jpg

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
NICE!

Whenever I hit junkyards, there always seem to be plenty of manual transmissions laying around. I'm not an expert on the Mazda 5 speeds vs. the ZF's, but I imagine you shouldn't have to look too far to find one.

Ryan

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Well a few years ago when I was looking for a ZF it was tough. The exact criteria I need (small block 4x4) seems difficult to find for some reason. Most are either behind a 7.3/7.5 or if they've got a small block then they're a cheap 2wd work truck :/

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Oh good, at least there is a super-quick way to ID them.

Next time I go to the junkyard, I'll look. Maybe I've been seeing them behind 460's and didn't make the distinction.

Ryan

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Rick is going to be staying at our place for a few weeks because it's closer to his new job-- I told him instead of paying rent he can simply source a ZF for me :D

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Cool Chris, looking forward to seeing your progress.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I don't know all the exact details, I know it's not bored or stroked. I do know it has GT40 headers, a mild cam, and the edelbrock upper.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Ill give some advise! I got a ZF, sick of driving stick already!!!! Keep the auto hahaha Requires shifting way too much. My buddy picked a ZF up outta an F250 with an I6

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Looking forward to the progress. I had a guy that I do a lot of parts swapping with just pull a 4x4 zf5 from behind a 300 for another guy I swap parts with. Perhaps that's the magical combo??? If you're willing to have it shipped, I'll keep an ear/eye out.

Ill give some advise! I got a ZF, sick of driving stick already!!!! Keep the auto hahaha Requires shifting way too much. My buddy picked a ZF up outta an F250 with an I6

that's exactly what's making it hard for me to decide what I should do. I am really leaning towards getting an auto, the T-18 is getting tiresome, in all ways!

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
You are just going to end up spending so much time and money on it Chris... Should have just sold it to me. ;-)

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Well after a long hiatus from working on trucks I want to try to get back into it. I helped my buddy Rick drop a motor back in his bronco last week and after talking shop about lifts and big tires I've got the bug again. Hoping an official build thread might motivate me a bit ;)

First thing I wanna do is the same thing I've wanted to do for years-- a ZF swap. In the past I was always apprehensive about this because of (1) money (2) no place to work on my truck and (3) Bertha was my daily driver. Well I've solved all three of those problems so I think the time has come. So I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a small block 4x4 ZF5; if anyone knows of one please gimme a shout!
Theres 1 in local scrap yard . Come on over and I'll help .LOL Glad to see Bertha agian .

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA

But you plow with it . LOL

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Yea i think plowing made me hate it. This year killed me. Leg is way stronger now and doesnt hurt after plowing all day hahaha. Chris knows its going in my fleet, just save urself the trouble and let me have it finally.

Ford Truck Articles