Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New guy needs vacuum routing for Ca. smog

VCVDescription.jpg

VCVFunctionTest.jpg

VDVDescription.jpg

VDVFunctionTest.jpg

Last edited:
003-1.jpg

Both you and BKW have me on the right track now. the left valve
9D473 that BKW wrote me about and again with the 12A091, the valve on the right are the valves I have. The info on the 4 port valve explaning that it is just two 2-2 ports stacked allowed me to do the cold tests outlined. I'll give them the operating temp test this evening.

I pulled it all apart,started over and rerouted everything to match the sticker pic below. All looks good and proper except the shown line coming over from Purge CV.

I have no line or DV-TW (two delay valve to run to the the 3rd port down on the 4 port switch. The only thing I have is the vapor recovery plastic jug under the battery. It has the big line to the Bowl vent and a smaller line teed down low. My plastic jug doesn't have multiple ports as the diagram pic attached below marked Purge CV shows. Would that be the black can that I see referred to in some emissions posts? Looks like I'm short according to the diagram. One interesting thing.....that shunt from the right hand valve over to the 4 port valve appears to be correct as per the diagram if placed in the 2nd port down. Thoughts?

Thanks to you and BKW for all the visual aids, part numbers and advice. I know how much time I have spent trying to get this right. In this day and age to know there are a couple of nice guys spending time trying to help
a stranger lost in the weeds is a nice feeling. I am grateful.

Dave

See if this helps

1980Emissionhoses.jpg

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Dennis, please scan and post the following: Illustration Section 96, Page 4.

This is the air cleaner and the OP needs to see it, cuz a corrogated paper hose (9D667) routes from the charcoal cannister to the air cleaner.

I'll explain how the hose attaches once the pic is shown.

scan0054.jpg

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
A corrogated paper hose (D4ZZ-9D667-A-not ID'd in pic) routes from the valve on the charcoal cannister to a plastic elbow (384411-S pictured below) that attaches to the ventilation filter (D1ZZ-9D695-A) that fits inside the air cleaner.

This filter has a nipple on it (on the side you cannot see). The nipple pokes thru the hole in the air cleaner, a clip (D1AZ-9D628-B) retains it in place.

This clip also retains the 90 degree plastic elbow that the corrogated hose attaches to.

The exact same hose, filter, clip and elbow were used on a gazillion I-6 & V8 1971/80's Passenger Cars, Trucks, Bronco's and Econolines, so should be EZ to find in wrecking yards.

Last edited:
002-3.jpg

001-2.jpg

Thanks for those parts break-out pics. All good stuff. I have everything routed correctly now as per the sticker. You to guys got me over that hump so I'm pretty happy and beholden to for your patience and help. I wanted to get it 'factory' and you got me there.

I'm finishing up today with the last bit, the choke. Above is a pic of the two pieces that were laying in a box in the truck bed. I have read a ton on the choke stove here and on the 'other' site. Some really good stuff. The first pic above shows the pipe coming up from the indented hole in the exhaust manifold. I cleaned out the hole and have the pipe end seated well with the ridge on the end of the pipe butting up snug. It will not fall out. It rises up and appears near the large nipple on top of the carb...it doesn't go to that does it? If not where...and if not...then what the heck is that nipple there for?

The other pipe is the one that goes to the fitting on the side of the choke assembly. I probably missed it.....but..where does that pipe go down to. I don't have the plate that some pics show both tubes decending through, nor the asbestos/? wrap on it that some pics show. I'm curious to learn where it goes. That line is under vacuum and sucks like mad. A built in vacuum leak if left open. I'm feeling dumb again because I read some of the well put together answers to these questions and the replies after being schooled by the expert are followed by forehead smacks and "oh know I see how it works" from the OP. But without an idea of where it goes without creating a vacuum leak I can't smack my forehead.

If some kind soul will set me straight on these last couple points.....I will be done and off to put a new exhaust and cats on the resurrected beast. Then I can go back to building VW engines, where I know what the heck I'm doing. Water in an engine? On purpose? Sounds crazy to me ;-)

Thanks,
Dave

The pipe from the choke goes to the exhaust manifold hole

That pipe is used to draw WARM/HOT air to the choke hosuing using Vacuum.

Thus a vacuum loop.

You need some vauum hose to connect that pipe to that open nipple. Once the Air Cleaner goes back on that nipple becomes part of the closed vacuum Loop

scan0055.jpg

Last edited:
Now I get it. It IS a loop. The exhaust manifold has a through hole in the out side exhaust manifold jacket. Find the upper hole for the choke assembly vacuum down pipe and I have a loop. Forehead slap ;-)

All the drawings you guys have posted have been a blessing. I learned something and avoided taking it to a test/repair shop. It is running cleaner now and with new cats I should be able to pass smog.

You are probably sick of hearing it, but again I have to tell you and BKW what a help all of your drawings and tips have been. You both have been very patient and I'm in your debt. If I ever break a hard to find part I would buy it from you no matter the cost just to try, in a small way, to repay you.

Regards,
Dave

Now I get it. It IS a loop. The exhaust manifold has a through hole in the out side exhaust manifold jacket. Find the upper hole for the choke assembly vacuum down pipe and I have a loop. Forehead slap ;-)

All the drawings you guys have posted have been a blessing. I learned something and avoided taking it to a test/repair shop. It is running cleaner now and with new cats I should be able to pass smog.

You are probably sick of hearing it, but again I have to tell you and BKW what a help all of your drawings and tips have been. You both have been very patient and I'm in your debt. If I ever break a hard to find part I would buy it from you no matter the cost just to try, in a small way, to repay you.

Regards,
Dave

It was probably Mil1ion that posted the pictures, and BKW with the numbers that helped

You can give us some rep points and spread the word that the Ultimate Ford Info Guys are on FTF

I do more than post pictures

Ca. Smog Test Update

For any of you Ca. early truck owners that followed this thread, and especially for the two gurus that showed me the how/what/why/ where of the complex Ca. emissions setup on my '80 F 100 4.9....Here are the results of the smog test.

I was not feeling real good about the truck passing so I had a pre-test done. I didn't want the test hooked into the state computer and maybe end up designated as a "Gross Polluter" if it failed. You could have knocked me over with a feather when it passed the pre-test with good numbers. They ran it through again hooked up to Gov. Brown's computer and it came out a winner again.

These old trucks are classified as having a High Emitter Profile and are noted as such as the reason for the test.

If you have a need for help in this or any area Mil1ion and BKW are the men to see. If they can school this dummy they have to be good ;-) Below is the test. Small print so i hope you can see it... Pretty darn impressive for a wrecking yard engine repaired by an ancient senior. Ya gotta gloat sometimes....

Dave,

004-3.jpg

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
They ran it through again hooked up to Gov. Moonbeam's computer and it came out a winner again.
Fixed it for ya. Another reference to Moonbeam when he ran for re-election a coupla decades ago: If it's brown, flush it!

This the third go-around for Moonbeam, it took him 20 years to win his 3rd term.

81 460 E-350 Camper vac diagrams

This diagram is helpful , but , the distributor cap is in the front of our setup . By any chance , do you have the '81 schematic for vac hoses with the cap in the front ? I am a real newby when I'm trying to figure it out for myself . All my experience has been helping others with rebuilds ... They had the knowledge Hahaha ! There is no decal scematic on our Camper that I can see :-(

I found my 81 book but again there are CC's from 1979 and 1981 in it with ther same thing as what you have except it comes with a parts lists
Can you get me a carburetor number ?
Vacuum schematic !
All greek to you.. can you not figure out the house routing from the schematic on the sticker if we help you get through it ?

I can provide you with a 1977 or 1978 ...300 hose routing diagram

and I can provide the Emissions system illustration for the 1980 4.9 L with whatever the parts book will show.

We can also help you identify what item is what and help you via the decal schematic

Let me know How I can help.

Do you have a basic understanding of how the vacuum system works with the, EGR and CC's ?

There are a series of Thermal switches and check valves that worl with the unburned fuel,etc

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles