Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New chapter to my driveline vibrations

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
Forget that, paint the whole rear diff with it! :rofl:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Getting back on topic --- had to do a dump run so I got to drive the truck a little. There's definitely an improvement after getting my driveshaft balanced. But now I'm noticing that the vibrations are only at specific points, not ALL THE WAY from 30 mph up through 90mph. Seems like anything up to about 40mph is smooth sailing, then 40-60 range I've got a good vib goin, then like 60-65ish it's fairly smooth and starts vibrating real bad around 70 again... I'm thinking it might be my tires. I'm on the path to victory!! :D

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
Nah there's no reason to do a body off. I'm just gonna dissolve all the rust and paint the exposed parts with chassis black... In a place where rust isn't a serious threat, theres really no reason to take the body off and get EVERY nook and cranny.

well the rust and exposed metal on top, the part you cant get to will eat through your paint on the side.

dont even put any effort into something your gonna half ass.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
well the rust and exposed metal on top, the part you cant get to will eat through your paint on the side.

dont even put any effort into something your gonna half ass.
I don't have any rust up that high. The rust is mostly concentrated on my rear axle and brake calipers, the rest is really just surface rust... I'll do it however I want ;)

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I don't have any rust up that high. The rust is mostly concentrated on my rear axle and brake calipers, the rest is really just surface rust... I'll do it however I want ;)

Now I realize that we're in distinctly different parts of the country (thank god, too...smilietease ), but lemme tell ya'- surface rust turns into deep rust that turns into rot. It's evil, and it gets everywhere.

Do whatever you want. But as a New England boy, I'd be gettin' my butt in gear on the little rust spots you've got on the welds up where they extended your roof, yesterday. (Maybe you've touched 'em up, I just remember noticing them back when you posted the pics of how they'd made your truck.)

Remember- it's evil, it goes anywhere it damn well pleases, and it's tougher and faster than you are. (Can you tell I hate rust?)

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
Now I realize that we're in distinctly different parts of the country (thank god, too...smilietease ), but lemme tell ya'- surface rust turns into deep rust that turns into rot. It's evil, and it gets everywhere.

Do whatever you want. But as a New England boy, I'd be gettin' my butt in gear on the little rust spots you've got on the welds up where they extended your roof, yesterday. (Maybe you've touched 'em up, I just remember noticing them back when you posted the pics of how they'd made your truck.)

Remember- it's evil, it goes anywhere it damn well pleases, and it's tougher and faster than you are. (Can you tell I hate rust?)

smilieIagree smilieIagree smilieIagree smiliewhathesaid smiliewhathesaid smiliewhathesaid smiliewhathesaid smiliewhathesaid smiliewhathesaid

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok

well when you spend time, effort, and money on painting, or "touching up" your frame. And it rusts through your "touch ups" your going to look like a idiot.

i can just see it now. You spend the time to scuff the metal and remove the rust. Then gloss black paint. and then oh no. The part you left unpainted, the surface rust spreads and causes your paint to bubble and chip. Then whats under that rusts.

have you ever driven in the rain? What about the PO (previous owner) did he drive it in the rain. Or snow. Ope well theres surface rust there. Did he ever go through a puddle. There surface rust there to. Surface rust, Deep rust, Car cancer, Ventilation. Its all varying degrees of rust, and its not like species. They are all the same thing just in different stages.

But hey do w/e the hell you want, you paints going to chip, bubble...etc.

Half ass-ing something, is never the way to look pretty. And it looks like your trying to make a mall crawler out of truck. If you wanted something that road good, and looked pretty, Go get a honda ridgeline.

Last edited:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Anthony you are getting WAY too upset about this. I haven't even decided IF I'm going to paint it yet, let alone which parts I'm going to paint. I might just end up painting the rear axle and calipers (the really bad parts). And no I'm not trying to make a mall crawler, I just dont want my truck to look like a rotted piece of garbage. I don't mind a bit of rust or chipped paint here and there under the truck, but I DO mind when the rust is deep and nasty like it is on my rear diff and calipers. Just chill brother, there's no reason to get so riled up.

Last edited:

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
dont even say im heated boy....youll know it when im mad

Michigan
He has a point. Only way to do it is to sandblast, primer and paint... Lots of time, and errr maby not worth it... I know my truck is going to rust, i paint to make it look a little bit better not to (stop) the rust. I plan on taking the powerwasher and knocking everything off, and with my washer i can take it right down to metal. So thats my project as soon as it gets above 50 degrees or so.

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
dont even say im heated boy....youll know it when im mad

I don't understand why you're insulting him. He idly mentions painting some stuff and you go off on him, I don't get it. Obviously he's not doing it the complete way, but not everyone has a second vehicle to drive while they're doing a body off? Lol. Are you forgetting he lives in California? Not everything underdeath the truck is in-accessable to paint the whole part..

No one needs to be upset in this thread. A lot of people think I am foolish for not doing a complete "frame off" restoration on mine. It is a driver..not a show truck. It will get beat and banged just like any real truck should. Sure..it will eventually rust, but I will be long gone by that time. It has lasted 50+ years this way so far.

Since Chris drives his (and I presume uses it as a truck), it will be worn out long before rust becomes the main issue (living in CA). Now...if either of us were in the "rust belt" that might be a different issue with both of us.

Most of plan on keeping our trucks forever...that does not generally happen. When they are worn out..we go get another one. I kept my ranger for 16 years. I intended to keep it forever, but I moved on. That happens in real life.

A worn out (non-rusty) truck still is not worth a lot to trade off. Not really worth the effort and expense if you don't keep them forever. I didn't trade (or sell) my ranger, but with nearly 200,000 miles on it...it was not worth much at all. No..it was not undercoated and no it did not rust out. One fender had a bad spot though.

I have seen some from up north that were rusted so bad it was scary...still going down the road.

cmon people, we dont want another me! LOL

have you taken any thought to my brake drum theory?

OR, would the driveshaft being bent have caused any damage?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I did give thought to the brake drum theory and I don't think it's the problem. I got a few second opinions and was told that, in relation to the size and weight of my 33" tires and wheels, the brake drums would not be able to cause vibrations because there is just not enough mass to be thrown around. The guy I talked to had really badly warped brake drums, almost EGG shaped and even his didn't cause a vibration. For not I'm going to pursue my tires being out-of-balance or out-of-round, then I'll start looking into more things after that.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
No one needs to be upset in this thread. A lot of people think I am foolish for not doing a complete "frame off" restoration on mine. It is a driver..not a show truck. It will get beat and banged just like any real truck should. Sure..it will eventually rust, but I will be long gone by that time. It has lasted 50+ years this way so far.

Since Chris drives his (and I presume uses it as a truck), it will be worn out long before rust becomes the main issue (living in CA). Now...if either of us were in the "rust belt" that might be a different issue with both of us.

Most of plan on keeping our trucks forever...that does not generally happen. When they are worn out..we go get another one. I kept my ranger for 16 years. I intended to keep it forever, but I moved on. That happens in real life.

A worn out (non-rusty) truck still is not worth a lot to trade off. Not really worth the effort and expense if you don't keep them forever. I didn't trade (or sell) my ranger, but with nearly 200,000 miles on it...it was not worth much at all. No..it was not undercoated and no it did not rust out. One fender had a bad spot though.

I have seen some from up north that were rusted so bad it was scary...still going down the road.
Well put Brian. That's precisely why I'm not doing a body-off resto.

Well put Brian. That's precisely why I'm not doing a body-off resto.

...........here ! . . . . . here! . . . . . . well stated for the person's & their purpose of, Brian . . . .YelloThumbUp BRAVOoooo ..... as well as for in Chris's case, 2 . . . . :acclaim: . . . .now, let's all " LET Him & His TRUCK . . . Be ! ! ! " :suspicious: ... :paranoid: ... :guns::flames:... smilieeatndrink ............{ & jst 4 Chris } = 'peace' . . . . LOLOLOLOL .........

mr. Charles

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
With regard to the wheels/tires...

Have you tried rotating your tires, to see if that changes the vibration any?

Obviously not a solution, but it may help narrow down the problem somewhat, and if not- hey, you've got your tires rotated.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts