Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New build

Ha! Sorry about that. I live in southwestern Co, about 1 hour north of Cortez, 2 hours south of Grand Junction. We went to Navajo Lake, just east of Durango. Most of the lake is in New Mexico, little bit of it in Colorado. I work outside too, but never wear shorts. My legs are burnt to a crisp!

I work construction in a ski town (Telluride), heavy equipment. Pretty good work in the summer, not to bad in the winter. Lots of snow plowing, not much construction.

Finally got some time to work on the project. Got family plans for this afternoon/weekend, but pulled the 390 out of the donor truck this morning, then spent some time pressure washing Shorty which will make it easier to pull the engine and start detailing the engine compartment. Been so busy on other things lately just don't seem to have time to work on Shorty. Can't wait to get the new engine in it, once its fun to drive I'm sure I'll be more motivated to get after the paint job!

More work, making some progress now. Last night got the engine cleaned and painted, and sanded and painted the 2wd pan for it, ready to install. Next is pull the engine out of Shorty, detail the engine compartment, then install the new engine. Getting pretty stoked!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
You oughta be able to whip that rig around pretty well once the engine swap is done. I motion for a 0-60 video.

So tonight I pulled the engine out of Shorty, got it pushed out of the shop. Next I'll start cleaning and detailing the engine compartment, may have it all done by this weeked so I can stab the other engine back.

By the way Ben, nothing I love better than smoking some hides. Here's a video of my Mustang before I sold it, burning the hides in front of my house:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCdsW01CH3o

Pretty crappy video, taken with my digital camara on vidoe mode. Sure makes me miss my car, and really makes me want one of the new 5.0's. Someday... sooner than later I hope. But Shorty ought to cure my hotrod jonesing for awhile!

Got rained out at work today, yahoo! Got the engine bay power washed, cleaned up, and painted it flat black. Got a few photos, will get them up on photo bucket soon. Next is to swipe the 4bbl intake off the old motor, put it and a 2wd pan on the new motor, and stab it. Unless somthing comes up, I should be driving it Sunday. The donor truck had a dual exhaust, so I'm gonna put it on there at the same time, which is gonna take me a little longer. If all goes well I could actually be driving it on Saterday, but I'm gonna say Sunday just to cover my self.

On another note, the wife chimed in and changed my mind on colors, now it's gonna be cherry red. To late to change now, today I painted the firewall with Krylon while the engine is out. I've got a quart of Mineral Grey left from my mustang, I think I'm gonna do the top of the cab with it. I've still got the hood scoop from my 'Stang too, I think it'll look pretty cool in Mineral Grey on the Red hood, esp. with the grey cab top. Getting pretty excited to drive it, should be pretty fun!

So got it finished Saterday, spent Sunday tinkering on it. Got a slight miss, think it's the carb. Still, it runs strong. I just made a couple of runs on my G-tech, was pulling mid 16's with the best run of 16 flat, and that's at 7,000 ft above sea level. Not to mention a lot of extra weight in the bed I should have unloaded first!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
That's a respectable number for that truck.

Thanx Ben. Pretty excited about it, still not running quite right and still pulling that good. I've got a couple of Holley ProJection systems I've bought/traded for over the years, I think this may be one of the next things I do to it. I've heard a lot of bad things about them over the years, but I've got a brother-in-law who has one on his jeep that works great. If it don't work, all I've done is waste some time and a little money on hoses/screws/bolts etc... Otherwise, I'm gonna have to put a kit in the Edelbrock I've got on it right now. And still lots of sanding...

Another update, spent all day yesterday and 1/2 of today installing the Holley Pro-jection. When I got ready to start it, it fired right off, and ran pretty smooth. Then I get to looking and realize I had left all four of the spark plug wires off of the drivers side, and it was running that smooth, not to mention it started right up! I don't think the pro-jection is the best out there, but for what I gave for it ($125) and for what it's gonna be used for it's perfect. This truck will never be much of a daily driver, more of a toy for the weekends, and now it's even more reliable. I think once I get paint on it I'm gonna have a hard time getting it away from my 17 year old daughter! She's already in love with it, even as ugly as it is.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Any chance you could snap some pics of that projection set up on your rig. I've never seen one actually installed.

Sure enough, I'll get on it tomorrow (getting dark now). Not much to see, except some wiring looms and a throttle body setup. I've still got to get some work done on the return line to the tank, I don't care for hose all the way. I think I can be a little creative and make a hardline for it to run inside the frame. I've got it tuned up pretty good now, starts quick and runs smooth.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Well hot diggity...not bad, not bad at all. And for the price you got it for, very sweet.

Getting better all the time. I took off early today so I could get to the courthouse and get tags for it, the wife put insurance on it yesterday. Been raining all day, now I've got tags, but I haven't put the wipers back on it yet. I may have to brave the rain long enough to put them on just so I can drive it on the hiway (legally anyway!).

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Of course, even if I put them on, the blades are shot (of course)!

Of course...that's always how it goes. Ol' Murphy always has his hand in something.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts