Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

My progress page

primetime

sawmill slave
Don`t paint the grill. There are plenty of these trucks around that have painted grills. It`s a treat when you see one that has an aluminum grill. I get all slobbery.

And just to throw this out there, your grill is anodized. It`s a coating that maintains it`s shine without needing continual polishing like bare aluminum.

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
You can polish the grille but it will take time. Read this link and follow it. I did to polish my wheels. One thing I did do different I started off with 400 grit,then went to 800 grit, then 1500 grit, then 2000 grit and lastly mothers aluminum polish.
I used wet and dry sand paper from the local auto paint supply house and a bowl of water with a little dawn in it. Please don't buy the cheap sand paper from Wal Mart or other box stores they do not hold up.

http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exte...-heavily-oxidized-pitted-aluminum-wheels.html
Here is what my wheel looked like.
100_3438-500.jpg

Now they look like this.
100_3552-500.jpg

:drop: How'd I miss this!!!!!YelloThumbUp

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
I think you will be happy with the results and it will look great back on your truck.

Grill scrubbin

Gents, this grill is pitted something awful! But here is a before and after. I expect nothing less than brutal honesty. If you see no difference? Tell me so. I tried to picture the same time of day but the cloud cover is a bit different. The black spots were painted there by someone else. I don't know why they are there. I will get some acetone on them when I get a little spending cash. I think I helped it maybe just a little?

BEFORE
original1.jpg

AFTER
result11.jpg

Giggity

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
First impressions are that it looks much better.

All the bigger pic showed was more surroundings. I cropped it down to just the grill. If I tried to zoom in it just gets blurry. Ill see what I can do. I don't have much of a camera.

Sorry guys, I guess this is the best I can do. I have things in the background I had rather not show. When I get it back on the truck I'll post a comparison again. Hows that?

Giggity

Last edited:

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Don't worry about It. I looked real good if you work a little more you can get the paint off so far it looks Great.

Guys, I am looking for this POR15 paint. I want to paint the behind the grill before I put it back on. I can't find it. Our local Autozone and NAPA didn't even know what I was talking about. Do I have to order this stuff? The nearest true 'paint supply' is in Boise. About 50 miles for me. I have no way of getting there, probably for quite some time. I hate to subsitute onc3e I get my mind set on a particular thing it's hard to make a change. Other than rustolum? What else might I be looking for? Thanks

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Guys, I am looking for this POR15 paint. I want to paint the behind the grill before I put it back on. I can't find it. Our local Autozone and NAPA didn't even know what I was talking about. Do I have to order this stuff? The nearest true 'paint supply' is in Boise. About 50 miles for me. I have no way of getting there, probably for quite some time. I hate to subsitute onc3e I get my mind set on a particular thing it's hard to make a change. Other than rustolum? What else might I be looking for? Thanks

You can order it on line.

Evening folks, I went with another way than looking to get some POR15. Mostly because I can't get a ride to where it is sold and I'm also not real patient when ordering stuff. I used this for behind the grill area. http://tinyurl.com/87cyakk

I got me an attachment for my drill that is like a spool with wires and I went to town on it. There was NO rust when I got done. I sprayed a couple coats of primer and put this stuff on there and also did the same to my battery box and have it looking well also. No, I did not use this rubberized stuff on my radiator. I choose a very careful cleaning and sprayed some rustoleum primer. I let it dry and then a couple coats of high-gloss engine paint. It's rated like 1200 degrees. So I don't think it will be cooking off there.

The bumper? a few coats of rustoleum prime, sanding between coats. three coats of rustoleum gloss also sanding between coats. I am proud of my work today. Yes, I am.

If nothing else? Brutus is going to have a handsome face. I hope to have his face back on this weekend.

DSC00163.jpg

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles