Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

My new van v3

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
You did say you'd be out of that van a year or so back too

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Looking like next week delivery.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
First impressions? Since I've been living in the dark ages, what is the "M" for on the shift lever?

It won't fit in the garage, but I bet you already know that. :D

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
First impressions? Since I've been living in the dark ages, what is the "M" for on the shift lever?

It won't fit in the garage, but I bet you already know that. :D

First impressions are great.

Acceleration is a none issue, it will roast the tires on demand. I went to the dump yesterday and with all the shelving etc in (no tools/material), full fuel and my fat ass...6600#....gvw is 9500#...so lots of margin.

Figure there will around 6-800# of crap in it before material, so again, lots of margin for loading.

M puts the transmission (6 spd) in manual mode, there is an up/down where your thumb would naturally sit on the left side of the shifter.

This is nothing like the Econoline, I'm beyond floored....quiet, stable, handles very well...very comfortable to sit in, I'm 6', 225#...pretty sure Frank would be alright in it.

It does fit in the other garage...that one has 10' doors :D

Garage fitment was a priority after the big truck!

Edit....LED interior lighting got screwed up on the order, got incandescents...grrrr..will need to be fixed.

Last edited:
Looks great Duncan ...... she's a bit like the tardis with those cargo doors open :)

dustybumpers

don't play well w others

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Nice- really like the color.

I'm curious about the pic of the door opened all the way- doesn't look like it hugs the body very tightly? Better than the "straight-out" doors that you used to find, but seems like they could've done better. Am I missing something not shown in that pic?

M puts the transmission (6 spd) in manual mode, there is an up/down where your thumb would naturally sit on the left side of the shifter.
Can you also lock it out of the top gear or couple gears without putting it in manual mode, the way the newer F-150s do? (In other words, leave it to shift itself through gears 1-4, but not into 5-6, or whatever? For most uses, I find that a lot more helpful than the manual mode.)

*Without really trying to pay attention, I keep finding stories about damaged Transits as a surf the net. Sounds like Ford needs to step up their delivery game- doesn't matter how good the van is if they can't get it to the customer intact and on a reasonable timeframe. Especially a vehicle that many customers are using to earn their livings with.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Thanks Guys....and it might not be tall enough for a couple of them Charlie :p

The doors have a buffer with a piece of steel and a magnet on the body, I suppose they could have made them open a bit more, but I'm damn happy that they go that far and lock!

I'm not sure about the transmission, as far as I know it is the same as in the 150, but I see nothing obvious to do that. As it sits right now, I don't see a need for it as the shifting and gear selection seems perfect.

The rollout of these van's (IMO) has been a disaster in every aspect.

20160215_140139.jpg

Last edited:

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I'm not sure about the transmission, as far as I know it is the same as in the 150, but I see nothing obvious to do that. As it sits right now, I don't see a need for it as the shifting and gear selection seems perfect.

When it's in Drive, just hit the (-) button a couple times...see what changes on your fancy digital dashboard display.

I've only driven the newer F-150s empty, so it's a feature I've only used in mountainous terrain to hold a lower gear on long downgrades, but I expect it might come in handy to avoid hunting gears when you're loaded heavy, too.

(I'm a manual trans guy, so I'm probably quicker than many to try and start telling an automatic what to do. That said, I've got next to no use for the "manual" mode on automatic gearboxes. Never used one I didn't hate.)

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I will give it a whirl....thx!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts