Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

my new toy/project

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
'smiliedoh' Is the heat tube intact?...They are prone to cracking or can become plugged.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
It's been a long time since I've touched one of those, but I think there as also a vacuum connection that draws the heated air through it...I might be wrong on that though.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
got some more questions. Can't get a Chiltons/Haynes till payday, so I need some part id.

What are these boxes, why are they needed? My 75 monte has nothing like this, what makes the truck need them? What can you do to get rid of them? I want to make this engine bay as clean as possible.

pickup018.jpg

pickup017.jpg

Which vacuum lines are necessary and which can be gone? A couple are blocked off, so I can figure those out, but what other ones? I don't care about emissions crap right now.
pickup019.jpg

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
The first two, you can't live without. The first one is the voltage regulator and the second one is the control module for the electronic ignition - gotta have 'em! Put some 1/4" spacers between the module and the mounting point to allow air flow. Some of the newer modules already have the spacer built into the mounting block.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Im fairly sure ford wouldn't add in random vac lines and not use them for something, maybe finding where they should go and working from there eliminating what you do and dont want would be a good place to start....

As for the carb, cant help, sorry...

The thread jack was done by somebody with a total of 3 posts to this site, somebody likely unfamiliar with how things work, so lets cut them some slack...

That famous quote... That was me, and i believe its in tylers signature box quoted from me. :D
But it is true, subjects can jump around alot in a thread. Were a laid back bunch here, not as up tight as other forums are. ;)

What about swapping in an HEI dist, would that get rid of a box? As for vacuum lines, I'm very familiar with how removing the "extras" doesn't hurt anything. My DD is a 91 Galant VR4, and I've removed just about every vac line in there. I realize sometimes you have to upgrade a component to be able to do away with other stuff, and that's fine. My Monte ran great with very few vac lines, and very few wires actually, starter/dist/alt were really all it had. I like the KISS concept, and try to make things as simple as possible.

As for the thread-jacker, yeah, I know how noobs can be and I was just messin around. I'm not so anal as to get bent outta shape over it. :)

Thanks for the help so far though, and keep it coming. Any threads/sites/etc you can think of that would give me a little more understanding of those boxes? I'm not familiar at all with them. Is that voltage reg the same as what is usually in the alt?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
You could put a Davis Unified Ignition distributor on..but putting a GM part on a Ford is kinda sacrilege :D. If you really want to get rid of the Duraspark box, (module) an MSD would work.
Yes....VR is external, some are mounted within the alternator.

so is threadjacking common here? that's what messages are for aren't they??

I agree, if you want serious, topical discussion, that's where I come in ;)

there are no wires on this thing. ?

That slot is meant for a screwdriver to turn the choke coil one way or the other to either richen or lean the choke.
The housing is usually turned on most chokes and have a mark on them to line up with the assembly for their correct setting

Chokes can go from +3 rich to -3 Lean

I would have to check the specs for yours.

It's been a long time since I've touched one of those, but I think there as also a vacuum connection that draws the heated air through it...I might be wrong on that though.

Correct, and the piston's in them are known to seize up rendering them useless.

Minimum Vacuum Lineage

1)Distributor vacuum advance mechanism
2)Auto Trans
3)Brake Booster
4) Vacuum reservoir

Optional Vacuum lines if needed

1) Speed control
2) Air Conditioning
3) Emission Controls
4) Truck with closed evaporative emssions

Last edited:
cool, thanks. Will the 80's alt bolt right in? I know the pulley/plugs will probably be different.

Truck is a 4spd manual.

Btw, here is what I found:

413b8f01.jpg

b342ec01.jpg

Options? can you buy that part new?

here's a better pic of the choke:

17ecc907.jpg

Just like I stated.
The issue may be the choke cver my not be installed right on the housing thus affecting the choke coil

The choke requires HEATED vacuum and the coil need to not be fatigued/burned out
Choke tube is useless in that condition

Buy a new one at www.rockauto.com

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts