Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

My new Project

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
thanks guys. Its far from perfect, but so much better than before when I first got it. I wasn't sure about the colors but they have grown on me. I think they still give the truck a classic 70s look.

I think it will be cool pulling my 77 with it down the road if i need too. Next up though will be a pickup box trailer than I'm gonna fix up with a same era bed to match.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I had to fix a bad hinge on my toolbox door. A simple hardware store hinge seemed to work just fine.

Also, does anyone know if the door hinges can be powercoated? I have mine all sandblasted and the hinge pins are tight so I don't have to replace those, but wondering if there is anything that would be damaged by the heat.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
The powdercoat will seize and bind the hinge...look into dryfilm.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
That's a cool idea...very functional!

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Yeah but. ;)

Over on FSB those old zinc "head knockers" are the ones we try to get
rid of for the more head-friendly ('97 and newer) plastic dome light.

The one out of my '91 U150 is in the zinc bucket. And good riddance. ;)

Buck, live with it for a while and then -you- decide. xD

Alvin in AZ

It'll be easy enough to change out if I ever need too :)

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Hey guys, just wondering if an older fiberglass topper that was on a 78 GMC with an 8 foot bed would work on a Ford 8 foot bed.

Last edited:

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
It should.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
If I were that Ford, I'd be ashamed to wear that topper.

Also the forward lean of the rear of the cab probably won't match the topper.

Its an older winnebago topper. I will find the link. I didn't think it was specific to chevy or no I wouldn't be placing on it. I might have a lead to another one already on a 77 ford.

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
If I were that Ford, I'd be ashamed to wear that topper.

Also the forward lean of the rear of the cab probably won't match the topper.

I didnt think of that. But if its a square aluminum one itll still look ok

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I've got it all done (body work that is). I'll get some pics of the tail gate, but for now here is the front. I had a different grill surround that was a little better and also the grill inserts. I had to redrill the holes for the XLT emblem on the grill.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I think I found a topper. This one is at a salvage yard and looks to be in good shape. The door handle is froze. It's gonna storm here soon so I didn't want to be out there.

$100 cash doesn't seem too bad for it and it's even on an 80s ford.

I also may get a seat out of 96 extended cap. It's in good shape except someone tried before to get it out and stripped the hell out of a bolt and I couldn't get it with a vice grip. May need to get some of those "grab sockets". I like the idea of having head rests for the DVD players for the kids, but a part of me just wants to get the original one recovered, but for $40 for the newer seat isn't bad. Only thing is, it's a light blue.

I was actually looking for another a/c evaporator, but no luck. Only reason I wanted one was to replace the heater core and blower motor while it's out than swap it into mine. Someone had replaced the heater core in my current one but must have cut and taken it out from under the hood because there is silicon all over where it looked like a square was cut. Plus my blower motor squeels at times and I'm sure it's going to go out. I do think I have another one, but it's in Nebraska in storage. Is there really anything that can go wrong with the evaporator itself?

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles