Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

My first engine pull/rebuild - 1994 351w

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I did some reading over and over about how difficult programming OBD-I and speed density is. I came to a quick conclusion that it was something I couldn't do, and would need to trust some random professional to do. I'm open to other options but I'm skeptical.

Ryan

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
I'm gonna be doin some of this myself on my 92 when I get dun with the dudge...its only got 83,000 miles on it, I just wanna lil more out of it...it used to be able to scream when I was in hs....I know with my 92 its flat tappet, what for a cam should I get? I'm wanting something with alil lope....:)....

If you want it to lope get ready to do a mass air conversion lopey cams produce low vacuum which is what on SD tells the ecu what to do via the MAP(manifold absolute pressure)

I did some reading over and over about how difficult programming OBD-I and speed density is. I came to a quick conclusion that it was something I couldn't do, and would need to trust some random professional to do. I'm open to other options but I'm skeptical.

Ryan

And see I was thinking Just the opposite, not saying its stooped simple but that it is something Anybody with half a brain could reason out..

Two VERY good tuning resources...

http://eectuning.org/forums/ .. http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,31878.0.html

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I'll do some more reading when I get this block in the machine shop and have more time to dig in. If it's possible and if my little mind could figure it out, I'd be interested.

Ryan

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Looks like fun brother. I remember my first time....ahhh the memories...that was quite a few pulls/rebuilds ago LOL

I'll do some more reading when I get this block in the machine shop and have more time to dig in. If it's possible and if my little mind could figure it out, I'd be interested.

Ryan

No worries good luck..

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I got the motor out last night and it's been hanging on the hoist ever since. I just got back from the hardware store. My bellhousing bolts weren't long enough to go all the way through the engine stand bushings. I got some longer ones, should be ready to rock here shortly. I'll post pics today once I get it on the stand and then dig in.

Ryan

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Take your time and study the EFI setup enough to understand how it works. Everything can be reasoned out after that. That's what I did when I went with TBI on my Suburban... TBI never came on a 400 but I did it and it worked out well... It's pretty simple if you stop telling yourself it's mysterious.

Michigan
Very nice! Good luck with the build!!!

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Thanks everybody. I had plenty of room to leave the hood on as long as there wasn't much slack in the chain I used to hook the hoist with.

Photo updates!

Here it is without the intake

IMG_1777.jpg

An intake bolt broke off in the head - but it's okay. I'm not reusing these heads.
IMG_1776.jpg

This bank of push rods looked straight which is good
IMG_1779.jpg

Confirmed Roller Block!

IMG_1782.jpg

Everything looks really smooth and clean. Almost to the point where the piston rings polished the cylinder walls.

IMG_1780.jpg

IMG_1781.jpg

Ryan

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
There's no hatches... These have 236,000 miles on them. I think it's the blur from the circular surface you see.

They all look that good though. It's like they're polished it's so smooth. That beats the hell out of any scarring or grooves.

Ryan

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
There's no hatches... These have 236,000 miles on them. I think it's the blur from the circular surface you see.

They all look that good though. It's like they're polished it's so smooth. That beats the hell out of any scarring or grooves.

Ryan

Which begs the question...you just gonna hone...or go .020 over???

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts