Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

My first engine pull/rebuild - 1994 351w

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I couldn't resist turning the key last night even though the exhaust hadn't been hooked up yet.

It stumbled, bumbled, but it ran for about 20 seconds before dying.

The good news? It has air, fire, and fuel. The bad news? It didn't stay running.

It's probably a timing issue. I'll have to teach myself to use a timing light I suppose. I have a busy today, despite it being a vacation day. Too bad, I'm dying to work on this thing!

It sounded like 1000 Spartan Alpha Males roaring. It reminded me of the sound of thunder while the hooves of 5,000 wild broncos beat on the fruited plain.

Ryan

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I couldn't resist turning the key last night even though the exhaust hadn't been hooked up yet.

The good news? It has air, fire, and fuel. The bad news? It didn't stay running.

It's probably a timing issue. I'll have to teach myself to use a timing light I suppose. I have a busy today, despite it being a vacation day. Too bad, I'm dying to work on this thing!

It sounded like 1000 Spartan Alpha Males roaring. It reminded me of the sound of thunder while the hooves of 5,000 wild broncos beat on the fruited plain.

Ryan

That simile and metaphor just came to life in my head! :)

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN

Ryan

no biggy. you'll have to tweak and fiddle with everything lil by little to get it right. I still am once in a while fiddling with mine to get the most out of it on speed density factory tune

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Added quote by FatherDoug: It sounded like 1000 Spartan Alpha Males roaring. It reminded me of the sound of thunder while the hooves of 5,000 wild broncos beat on the fruited plain.

If the plain is covered in fruit wouldn't the horses slip and fall?

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
quote by Chris: It sounded like 1000 Spartan Alpha Males roaring. It reminded me of the sound of thunder while the hooves of 5,000 wild broncos beat on the fruited plain.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
quote by Chris: It sounded like 1000 Spartan Alpha Males roaring. It reminded me of the sound of thunder while the hooves of 5,000 wild broncos beat on the fruited plain.

:rofl: :rofl:

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
She fired & idled like sh1t last night, but it didn't die! I was able to rev, and once I got past about 1,500 RPM's, she smoothed out. When I got it up past 3,000 rpm's she was purring like a kitten.

I need to teach myself to use a timing light once I get the timing close enough to idle completely on it's own indefinitely.

Ryan

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Dad is coming over in about an hour. We're going to learn to time a distributor properly together, and fill it up with some fresh gas.

I ended up getting a siphon. The cheap siphon I bought is sloooooooow, but I don't care. The rear tank is vacated and the front tank is my next victim. This gas should be fine to mix in the other cars a gallon or two at a time. It's old but it doesn't seem to be horrendously rancid.

Ryan

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Get a video of it you Samsquench

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I want to try to tune it first, then I'll video. Don't worry, I bought a high def (720p) camera about a year ago so it won't be trash. Even if I can't get it to do sh1t today, I'll still do a video.

Ryan

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Dad is coming over in about an hour. We're going to learn to time a distributor properly together, and fill it up with some fresh gas.

I ended up getting a siphon. The cheap siphon I bought is sloooooooow, but I don't care. The rear tank is vacated and the front tank is my next victim. This gas should be fine to mix in the other cars a gallon or two at a time. It's old but it doesn't seem to be horrendously rancid.

Ryan

Rotate engine in running rotation til #1 cylinder is on TDC compression (intake and exhaust valves both closed). Mark the outside of the distributor with a sharpie where #1 is with the cap on. Remove cap and stab distributor so the rotor lines up on the mark. It sounds like you are 1 tooth off right now.

Throw some blue (marine stabil) in it and it will be fine to mix 50/50 in the cars you drive regularly. I might throw some techron in it as well. 1 oz. per gallon.

Last edited:

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Well any updates yet?

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Hey man, I got it running. It idles okay now. Not smooth as butter, but it idles.

I got the transmission fluid in it, drove it around, and it was shifting really strangely. Most of the time it didn't want to shift, then when it did shift it was really late.

When I got home I pulled some codes, and it gave me 2 codes. The first code was 'TPS voltage lower than expected at idle.' The second code was "TPS voltage exceeding expected levels." So... it sounds like the TPS shot craps. That's an easy enough fix.

I took a video of it running while parked, it's on my camera. Now I'm trying to find where the wife hid the USB cable.

Ryan

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I found a cable on the entertainment center in the living room. It's uploading to youtube now!

PS, we still got almost all of the gas out of both tanks via siphon. They had a cheap $3 job at O'Reilly's, and it did the trick, albeit slowly. Dad and I splashed a few gallons into each of the vehicles in the driveway to spread around the old fuel.

Ryan

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts