Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

My 427 Boat Mot...*ahem* Engine

Very cool find. That's the first marine 427 I've seen with press in freeze plugs. All the marine 427's I've seen and had used screw in brass freeze plugs. What year boat is it in? The block was not cast as a sideoiler (but machined as a topoiler) as most were. Interesting.

It's in a '65 Century Coronado...

65CoronadoScooby.jpg

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Ok now what's the difference between the 427 CJ, the 427, and the cammer? I first read about the cammer in the Ford Performance Parts Interchange book.......that's a beast. Nice Coronado btw Brad.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Very cool find. That's the first marine 427 I've seen with press in freeze plugs. All the marine 427's I've seen and had used screw in brass freeze plugs. What year boat is it in? The block was not cast as a sideoiler (but machined as a topoiler) as most were. Interesting.

IIRC press-in freeze plugs were introduced in late 1965 and were used in both top & side oilers.

Greg, in my experience, marine engines were a year behind their automotive cousins. That's the reason my engine has the domed valve covers instead of the flat topped with PCV that were introduced in '65 vehicles. A '66 Interceptor powered boat had the latter.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Greg, in my experience, marine engines were a year behind their automotive cousins. That's the reason my engine has the domed valve covers instead of the flat topped with PCV that were introduced in '65 vehicles. A '66 Interceptor powered boat had the latter.

Brad,
If you pull the casting numbers off the block that would determine year, the date code is on the left hand side just below oil filter mounting point.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
The block was not cast as a sideoiler (but machined as a topoiler) as most were. Interesting.

Okay you lost me, what do you mean by "cast as a side-oiler but machined as a top-oiler"?

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Ok now what's the difference between the 427 CJ, the 427, and the cammer? I first read about the cammer in the Ford Performance Parts Interchange book.......that's a beast. Nice Coronado btw Brad.

First off there is no such thing as a "427 Cobra Jet". Carol Shelby installed 427 side oilers in some of his AC Cobra's but this did not make the engine a "Cobra Jet". The 428 Cobra jet was introduced by FMC as a cheaper production alternative to the 427. The 428 CJ was used in some mustangs after that engine was brought out.
I posted some links earlier to the 427 cammer (see post 27 on page 1), but the main difference between a 427 and 427 Cammer is the heads.

Last edited:

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
It says 330 on the valve covers :p silly ducky..

Mike,

That is Hp rating not cubic inches. Marine engines were advertised based on Hp ratings not cubic inches.

IIRC press-in freeze plugs were introduced in late 1965 and were used in both top & side oilers.

Actually press in freeze plugs were in the first 427 topoilers in 63.5. 64 is the latest I've personally seen them in 427's. But I'm certain there are exceptions as we see here. And some of the later 67 2 bolt main industrial 427's that had press in plugs.

Anyway very cool boat! Best of luck with it.

Okay you lost me, what do you mean by "cast as a side-oiler but machined as a top-oiler"?

Many of the 427 marine blocks (including the 4 I've had over the years) were cast as sideoilers but oil galleys were drilled as topoilers. The side oil galley passage is on the left side of the block above the crossbolts. But because some of the boat motor mounts would interfere, that area of the block had to be shaved to allow the motor mounts to be bolted to the block. Making those blocks having to be machined as topoilers. I'm talking about the larger yachts like the Hatteras, Trojan and some Chris Crafts that used 427 twin screw engines. Not the smaller speedboat runabouts. I'll see if I have a pic as that would show you exactly what I'm talking about.

I couldn't find a pic but Ebay auction # 230393438884 is a auction for a 427 marine block. Cast as a sideoiler and machined as a topoiler. The 2nd pic shows the left side with the shaved side oil galley. I forgot to mention on some applications this was done to clear the exhaust manifolds as well. Being some marine engine mounts are fore and aft and don't use the actual automotive bolt holes. Depends on the make and model. I have a sideoiler block here if you need comparison pics to see the difference. Just let me know.

427 marine engines

Back in the day I worked at Holman & Moody Racing in Miami Fl.. At that time most of the boat manufacturers were using Ford or Chrysler engines. The 427's sold by Ford were 300 hp with dished pistons, 330 hp with flat top pistons that had little "norbs" on top to bump the valves up in case of valve float (basically a '63/64 production engine) and the 400 hp that had the 12.5 to 1 domed pistons as used in the '65 and up production engines. Nearly all were center oilers but the '65 and newer 400 hp engines were side oilers. All production marine engines came with iron intake manifolds, and depending on the boat manufacturers requirements had Carter (Edelbrock), Holley or Ford/Autolite carbs. Many center oiler blocks were tapped for the screw in core plugs anb all side oilers had screw in core plugs.
Quite a few were converted to various other intake systems and aluminum intakes even though the sea water ate them up pretty quick. The best engines to find would be those from the larger yachts such as Chris-Craft as many of them used a fresh water cooling system. Ocean water boats that do not have the fresh water cooling system is not a good source for an engine as the salt eats one of the important minerals in the castings, Nickle, I think.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Actually press in freeze plugs were in the first 427 topoilers in 63.5. 64 is the latest I've personally seen them in 427's. But I'm certain there are exceptions as we see here. And some of the later 67 2 bolt main industrial 427's that had press in plugs.

Good info, as the casting data code sheets i have don't show press in freeze plugs until 1965. You wouldn't happen to have any casting codes off the earlier engines would you so that i could add it to my data sheets?

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Many of the 427 marine blocks (including the 4 I've had over the years) were cast as sideoilers but oil galleys were drilled as topoilers. The side oil galley passage is on the left side of the block above the crossbolts. But because some of the boat motor mounts would interfere, that area of the block had to be shaved to allow the motor mounts to be bolted to the block. Making those blocks having to be machined as topoilers. I'm talking about the larger yachts like the Hatteras, Trojan and some Chris Crafts that used 427 twin screw engines. Not the smaller speedboat runabouts. I'll see if I have a pic as that would show you exactly what I'm talking about.

I couldn't find a pic but Ebay auction # 230393438884 is a auction for a 427 marine block. Cast as a sideoiler and machined as a topoiler. The 2nd pic shows the left side with the shaved side oil galley. I forgot to mention on some applications this was done to clear the exhaust manifolds as well. Being some marine engine mounts are fore and aft and don't use the actual automotive bolt holes. Depends on the make and model. I have a sideoiler block here if you need comparison pics to see the difference. Just let me know.

Oh okay, gotta love the marine industry specific clearance requirements. I haven't messed with any of the marine blocks so i hadn't seen this configuration.

Back in the day I worked at Holman & Moody Racing in Miami Fl.. At that time most of the boat manufacturers were using Ford or Chrysler engines. The 427's sold by Ford were 300 hp with dished pistons, 330 hp with flat top pistons that had little "norbs" on top to bump the valves up in case of valve float (basically a '63/64 production engine) and the 400 hp that had the 12.5 to 1 domed pistons as used in the '65 and up production engines. Nearly all were center oilers but the '65 and newer 400 hp engines were side oilers. All production marine engines came with iron intake manifolds, and depending on the boat manufacturers requirements had Carter (Edelbrock), Holley or Ford/Autolite carbs. Many center oiler blocks were tapped for the screw in core plugs anb all side oilers had screw in core plugs.
Quite a few were converted to various other intake systems and aluminum intakes even though the sea water ate them up pretty quick. The best engines to find would be those from the larger yachts such as Chris-Craft as many of them used a fresh water cooling system. Ocean water boats that do not have the fresh water cooling system is not a good source for an engine as the salt eats one of the important minerals in the castings, Nickle, I think.

Sorry to go OT here but......

Mel, do you know anything about the 289's HM built for Donzi? I've been looking at a few mid 60's 16'-19' Donzi's and don't know squat about the 289's in them. Were they solid lifter hipo 271 hp engines? And did Holman Moody install the engines or just build them and ship them to Donzi? And last was there a HM number stamped into the block?

Thanks. G.

Last edited:
Good info, as the casting data code sheets i have don't show press in freeze plugs until 1965. You wouldn't happen to have any casting codes off the earlier engines would you so that i could add it to my data sheets?

These are automotive blocks and I'm not sure if they were used in marine apps but.....these are a few I've had or have seen in person. But all had the soft press in freeze plugs.

Listed by casting number....

C3AE-6015-AB
C3AE-6015-H
C4AE (no other numbers/letters on block.)
C4AE-6015-A This casting number can also be found on some 390 blocks. The C4AE-6015-A 427 version was also used as 64 406 service block (with a 4.13 bore).

I have seen mention of a C3AE-6015-M which I beleive to be actually the C3AE-6015- H block. And also a C3AE-6015-Z whcih I have no idea about.

These are all solid lifter blocks with the oil pressure relief valve above the rear cam plug.

This from memory and will check a few other lists I have tonight.

Ford Truck Articles