Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

My 427 Boat Mot...*ahem* Engine

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Main reason FMC quit producing the 427 in favor of the 428 was cost. The 427 was designed and built to be a racing engine (mainly for Nascar &NHRA), not a production engine, and it used the 390 crank. The 4.23 bore of the 427 required careful manufacturing and exacting tolerances that took a lot of time. This was not feasible for a production motor. So with the popularity of the 427 taking off, FMC redesigned it to a 4.13 bore and used the 3.98 stroke crank to achieve approximately the same displacement (425.4 to 426.5).

Now if Nascar would not have ruled the 427 Cammer illegal, there probably would have been a lot of these engines built. The cammer was popular in drag racing for quite awhile, but began to fall out of favor when NHRA banned it from stock classes.

Banned because it was kicking azz.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Banned because it was kicking azz.

It never got a chance to run in Nascar, it was supposed to debut in the 1965 Daytona 500 against the 1964 426 Hemi, but Chrysler filed a protest and Nascar banned it before it was allowed to compete.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
btw is this the SOHC 427 ? thats all i can find on youtube about it

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
It never got a chance to run in Nascar, it was supposed to debut in the 1965 Daytona 500 against the 1964 426 Hemi, but Chrysler filed a protest and Nascar banned it before it was allowed to compete.

Was that not based on the preliminary runs though?...I have always had the understanding that was why they protested it.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona

No it is not a cammer. Do a Google search on Ford FE or 427 Cammer, this is a better source than utube. It should be a side oiler however. YelloThumbUp

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Was that not based on the preliminary runs though?...I have always had the understanding that was why they protested it.

Duncan,

Yes i believe that is correct. The dyno numbers were the largest to ever come out of a production motor, and i believe that still stands today (616 Hp@7000 and 515 Lb/Ft@3800) and i believe FMC tested it to 8000 RPM. They also ran test laps at Daytona with the motor in a Galaxy.

As in typical Nascar fashion that still exists to this day, if you have enough money & whine loud enough Nascar changes the rules on the fly. Look who was running Plymouth's with a Hemi at the time, none other than King Richard. Nascar has always been the worst about having a rule book that is out of date the same day it is printed. Nascar would sell there own mother for a nickel.

Here are a couple of good articles on the cammer
www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/hrdp_0908_ford_427_cammer_build/index.html

www.supermotors.net/articles/lfm-issue01-a2-1.php

cammer.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Wiki_11_sohc_options_racing.jpg

cammer2.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Wiki_66_SOHC_timing_chain_and_cam.jpg

Last edited:

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Got a link to a schematic or somethin similar? Id like to see what the internals look like.

Click on the article links i posted above. The short block has the same components, just switched the cam for an idler shaft that only drives distributor, oil pump, and add a timing gear to drive the cam chain.

They also added an oil drain back hole at the back of the block on each side. These are not needed if you run external oil lines.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Eaton, under the Interceptor marque, made the 427 in three versions. The 300 h.p. version with 9.0:1 compression, the 330 h.p. with 10.5:1, and the 425 h.p. version with 11.5:1 and dual quads.

Brad,

Jurgen is on to a good idea, the parts are readily available, it would be easy enough to convert your 427 to a 427 Cammer. You dont even have to pull the engine, it is just a top end swap.smiliestirthepot

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Yeah I clicked on em after I posted. That would be a great idea for ya goose then youd have a super quick boat. If only I had more money for all them parts.

Last edited:

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
What would happen if that chain broke?

Pretty much the same when any timing chain/belt fails, valves stop in the open position and the pistons slam into the valves.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
so what made the cammer such a bad mofo? and why cant you get awesome numbers like these out of a Mod engine? pretty much the same thing right?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
so what made the cammer such a bad mofo? and why cant you get awesome numbers like these out of a Mod engine? pretty much the same thing right?

I'm sure Greg will add to this but with the SOHC you have full hemi heads which give you great breathing and combustion...and then combine that with a high compression ratio and big cubic inch displacement you get a nice recipe for power and torque.
If you throw a Whipple/TVS/Kenne Bell blower on a 5.4 DOHC with the right other things you can get 1000+ HP at the crank.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona

Its basicly a Hemi head on steroids.

I'm sure Greg will add to this but with the SOHC you have full hemi heads which give you great breathing and combustion...and then combine that with a high compression ratio and big cubic inch displacement you get a nice recipe for power and torque.
If you throw a Whipple/TVS/Kenne Bell blower on a 5.4 DOHC with the right other things you can get 1000+ HP at the crank.

Mike,

Dan & Duncan have you covered. The Hemi heads were the secret, and the reason the engine outperformed the 426 Hemi, was the SOHC allowed for higher rpm's.

Click on the links in my post above that lead to the two articles for more info and pictures.

Ford Truck Articles