Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Mountaineer engine swap question.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Thanks! I am a member, but havent really posted a lot there.

Sorry for arriving late to this discussion, but my thoughts are;
Have you looked into the later 351 powered vans? They are electronic controlled and of course F.I., I've seen a few at the bone yard I go to but never really looked at them.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Hmmm... I never thought about the vans. I will check that out. Thanks.

Sorry for arriving late to this discussion, but my thoughts are;
Have you looked into the later 351 powered vans? They are electronic controlled and of course F.I., I've seen a few at the bone yard I go to but never really looked at them.

Just another thought; Aren't the 351 and 302 distributors the same overall length and cam gears? If they are you could use the cam sensor from your 5.0 and the coil pacs with your ECM as well as using your MAF and other accessories. I am primarily a FE fanatic but I've done a little with the small blocks when I was at Holman-Moody a lot of years ago. There may be a firing order difference though that will need to be compensated for. If I remember there was no difference in the engine except Ford decided to change the plug wires around. Just another better idea from Ford.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
I had hoped it would be that easy, but there are differences in the dimensions of the cam sensor and the distributor. What I have found is that you can take a 3.8L cam sensor and have a bushing machined for it to mate up to the 351 block.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts