Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Mountaineer engine swap question.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Ryan, my next step if this became to tricky was to just carb the thing and be done with it. Like I said going into, I have no idea if it will work, just trying to figure things out. carb is simpler and more reliable too.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
If it's carbed then he shouldn't have a computer... Right? :confused:
The computer is still probably needed for electronics (dash stuff) is my guess

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Read through this, and tell me what you guys think. Shows you how to convert a distributor 5.8 to an electronic distributorless system (EDIS)

AEM - EDIS-8 install - Corral Forums

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
No stroker, keep it as low maintenance and reliable as possible, since this truck is getting built as an overland/expedition rig. We have plans (a little over a year out) to do Prudhoe bay. We plan on seeing many many miles with this thing, loaded down and pulling a trailer, so the 5.8 will be much better suited for the role.

No stroker, keep it as low maintenance and reliable as possible, since this truck is getting built as an overland/expedition rig. We have plans (a little over a year out) to do Prudhoe bay. We plan on seeing many many miles with this thing, loaded down and pulling a trailer, so the 5.8 will be much better suited for the role.

Understod,

How miny miles on the 5.8?? What about an HCI swap?

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
HCI?

I am sensing the redundancy... :D

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
far less work for what? what are you saying to do? end result?

Sorry, I am not following you.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
I say carb it, if you out some hundred miles from civilization and a sensor goes out, will you have enough power to get back out, alot of times when a sensor goes out it can send the computer to limp mode... Just sayin, for pure reliability and the ease of a trail fix, i say carb it.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
I am not ruling it out as an option, but there is something to be said about the potential mileage increases from EFI. And this is using all factory parts. I already carry spares of different parts, a few sensors are no big deal.

But then, there is also a lot to be said about the simplicity of a carb.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Yea, you goin to buy and carry a little brain to scan the comp when your chit breaks down.
Im not sayin EFI is a bad idea. But honestly i wouldn't want to mess with maf swaps and what not. Plus giving your self a time limit is goin to create a need to rush and rushing on the little things is not a good idea. Also i would be much happier to have some time to cruise the rig around awhile, beat it abuse it. See how it handles it. Before i get out in the middle of bear country and find out it cant take the abuse.

If i were in your shoes, i would go for the EFI all the way, its reliable, runs perfectly fine at off angles. Wont act up with big elevation changes. But i wouldn't set anything up. I wouldn't even set a goal. Small goals are good, but dont set a completion date, in doing that you can put your self in a rush and things dont come out well when your rushing with something like an EFI setup.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
The trip is not a completion date for an engine swap. As I said in the beginning, this thread is purely hypothetical, just trying to figure out if it can be done. The 5.0 in my Mountaineer runs strong and its not going anywhere until that changes.

I had a scanner/tuner that would work, but I sold it with my Mark VIII. That's not a big deal, and handy because it takes a lot of time out of diagnosing.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts