Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

looks like time for a new rear main seal...

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
well starting a couple days ago my truck started pissin oil everytime i would park it....... and it looks as though its coming from the rear main seal... fun.... not really. i dont really wanna change this...

and also dam thing all of a sudden today has been wanting to over heat, but i have been driving it since 5 AM with only bout 30 minutes of a break....

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Damn that sucks...you'll have to at least lift the engine, if not pull it to replace yours, won't you? And depending on how much oil is leaking, that could be the cause of the heat issue.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
idk... i know i also need a new radiator... somewhere along the line my truck is leaking coolant/using it... but very rarely do i see a puddle beneath the truck.. but i do know my radiator is leaking...

now the oil, it hasnt been leaking much, but i need an oil change bad...

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Can you physically see oil coming out of the rear main?

How many miles are on that motor again?

IIRC the mileage on your current motor, it probably is due for a rear main.

Good luck.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
230k... right around a quarter mil is when I start having issues with my Ford engines as well. Trannies usually crap out about the same time as well.

Have you thought about rebuilding it?

He had that carb'd motor he was gonna rebuild for it. So he's thought about rebuilding...but I dunno about rebuilding the stocker.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Have you thought about rebuilding it?

I don't think Ann would like two engines in the kitchen.

Chris you could try the Bar's Leak Rear Main Sealer. May or may not work, but worth a shot if you wanna try putting this off a bit.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
I don't think Ann would like two engines in the kitchen.

Chris you could try the Bar's Leak Rear Main Sealer. May or may not work, but worth a shot if you wanna try putting this off a bit.

That stuff is a waste of $$$$ good for clogging things up, like oil passages.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

Ehhh...I really think it depends on the engine. If it's on it's last legs like this one is...does it really matter? It'll be rebuilt or replaced soon anyway.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
230k... right around a quarter mil is when I start having issues with my Ford engines as well. Trannies usually crap out about the same time as well.

He had that carb'd motor he was gonna rebuild for it. So he's thought about rebuilding...but I dunno about rebuilding the stocker.

I need to find a good machine shop so I can rebuild my 460.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Ehhh...I really think it depends on the engine. If it's on it's last legs like this one is...does it really matter? It'll be rebuilt or replaced soon anyway.

I know I found the stop leak in my Rad that the PO put in almost lost my 300 because of it. took me 2 days to get it all out with rad flush and water.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I need to find a good machine shop so I can rebuild my 460.

Can't help you in your area...but John Betts, here in Salisbury, will be the only guy ever to do any machine work on my engines again. Relatively cheap and does more with less than anyone I've ever seen before.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ

I tried it in my Rebuilt AZ engine because the seal leaked. Didn't fix the leak, but hasn't caused any issues and I doubt it is going to hurt his engine with that mileage. Only costs like $12 anyway. I spent more on worse.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Can't help you in your area...but John Betts, here in Salisbury, will be the only guy ever to do any machine work on my engines again. Relatively cheap and does more with less than anyone I've ever seen before.

PM me his phone number I don't mind the drive.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
I tried it in my Rebuilt AZ engine because the seal leaked. Didn't fix the leak, but hasn't caused any issues and I doubt it is going to hurt his engine with that mileage. Only costs like $12 anyway. I spent more on worse.

Yeah your probably right. what can it hurt?

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
check the back of the intake, many oil seals get replaced, only to find the gasket under the intake gave out

It really isn't that bad of a job. A transmission jack makes it much easier. Drop the trans, pull the flexplate and replace the seal.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts