Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Just got it and already broke it.

I agree Randy, but I don't know anywhere else to get the stuff. I got until spring to figure out though. The rest of the truck's paint is decent enough that it would be nice to just touch up my body work, and not have to repaint the whole truck which was my original idea. I go to tractor Supply store and get their restoration series paint. I could usually paint my Jeep for under 50 bucks. I'm always on a super tight budget and that's abuot my limit. I'm not any great painter but I do a fair enough job that I can live with. Jim

My paints the worst to find, trust me.. lukily i work where theres a body shop... soo yeh lol

Watchdog7

Guarding the Gates
300 is a good motor. That E4OD is a sloppy transmission and robs a lot of power - but with that said, it's a good transmission. Just keep an eye on it. If you tow, instal a transmission cooler and make sure to change the transmission fluid regularly.

Congrats on the Ford truck. The 300 is good motor. It's slow but pull down low like a diesel.

Thanks Watchdog7, I won't be trailering or towing, but I can feel the power the truck has compared to my old Jeep. After having the truck for about 3 weeks now I can say I like the smooth ride, and I swapped small tires for a set of 265/75-15 and that makes me like the looks of the truck more. What's funny too is now I notice all the other Fords out there on the road, and I don't pay attention to the Jeeps I see now.

The tranny shifts good and I hope it lasts. It just turned 174,000 miles so it's now about broke in, right?

Watchdog7

Guarding the Gates
Did your Jeep have the 4.0L? Good engine too, I'd like to have an F-100 with a hot rodded 4.0L just for kicks.

These F-150's ride good.

I'm like you, I prefer larger tires on these trucks. It just looks better.

I use a bottle of Conentrated Fuel System Cleaner from Gummout every once in a while (like when I change my oil). I like the stuff.

The main thing with these Fords, they rust. And rust. And rust. Keep an eye on all the important parts that could become lethal if rust eats at it enough.

The 300 is a die hard engine. Often time these engines will become "sick" or start "limping" for a loooong time before things really start to go. My particlar 300 has been making noises for what seems like a few years now. My truck lugs, lags and doesn't move like she used to - but it starts every time. Good trucks. Just keep an eye on the basics.

Glad to have you in this forum. When you get some pictures of your Jeep or Ford, please post them!

Did your Jeep have the 4.0L? Good engine too, I'd like to have an F-100 with a hot rodded 4.0L just for kicks.

These F-150's ride good.

I'm like you, I prefer larger tires on these trucks. It just looks better.

I use a bottle of Conentrated Fuel System Cleaner from Gummout every once in a while (like when I change my oil). I like the stuff.

The main thing with these Fords, they rust. And rust. And rust. Keep an eye on all the important parts that could become lethal if rust eats at it enough.

The 300 is a die hard engine. Often time these engines will become "sick" or start "limping" for a loooong time before things really start to go. My particlar 300 has been making noises for what seems like a few years now. My truck lugs, lags and doesn't move like she used to - but it starts every time. Good trucks. Just keep an eye on the basics.

Glad to have you in this forum. When you get some pictures of your Jeep or Ford, please post them!
I still love your truck, and your Flareside shouldn't rust like the steel bed ones.

Watchdog7

Guarding the Gates
I still love your truck, and your Flareside shouldn't rust like the steel bed ones.

Thanks a lot Mister. :wavey:

I don't know where he lives, I was just telling him to keep an eye on the important parts for rust. My truck was a southern truck all it's life but it has a lot of surface rust so I can only imagine how a northern truck does!'peace' :slap: :wavey: 'hah' chim chim pee pee

Thanks a lot Mister. :wavey:

I don't know where he lives, I was just telling him to keep an eye on the important parts for rust. My truck was a southern truck all it's life but it has a lot of surface rust so I can only imagine how a northern truck does!'peace' :slap: :wavey: 'hah' chim chim pee pee

Ugh, don't remind me! lol.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
i have very very very minimal surface frame rust and only one (large) spot of rust on the cab but its from where a window was missing for almost 6 months when the previous owner has it.

Congrats on the Ford truck. The 300 is good motor. It's slow but pull down low like a diesel.
]

has anyone ever built up a 300? Kind of pointless to do, but im wondering if someone has..

]

has anyone ever built up a 300? Kind of pointless to do, but im wondering if someone has..

There is an NHRA Comp Eliminator class where 300 I6's are used with a custom aluminum cylinder head. Times are in the low 8 second area if memory serves me correct... I can find you a link to the place that makes these heads if you'd like.

speaking of rust.... I'm in Pa. 40 miles north of Pgh. Lots of hills around here. Every single 9th generation truck I've laid eyes on around here has the rear wheel wells rusted out. My truck has the wheelwells eaten out (I fiberglassed halfassed for now). The bed is solid except one 4 inch rust hole on floor where the previous owner must have kept a bag of salt! LOL!

Frame is rusty but solid, and undercarriage is clean with minor bits of rust, floors are clean and not rusted out. cab is mostly good with minor rust in a few spots. Doors are rust free-even the bottoms. Tailgate is clean with only a few minor rust spots. Except for the rear wheelwells the truck looks in really nice shape, it's got metallic paint which is still really shiny and nice. It's a shame that these trucks rust out so bad around the wheels. You Southern guys are lucky! Jim

speaking of rust.... I'm in Pa. 40 miles north of Pgh. Lots of hills around here. Every single 9th generation truck I've laid eyes on around here has the rear wheel wells rusted out. My truck has the wheelwells eaten out (I fiberglassed halfassed for now). The bed is solid except one 4 inch rust hole on floor where the previous owner must have kept a bag of salt! LOL!

Frame is rusty but solid, and undercarriage is clean with minor bits of rust, floors are clean and not rusted out. cab is mostly good with minor rust in a few spots. Doors are rust free-even the bottoms. Tailgate is clean with only a few minor rust spots. Except for the rear wheelwells the truck looks in really nice shape, it's got metallic paint which is still really shiny and nice. It's a shame that these trucks rust out so bad around the wheels. You Southern guys are lucky! Jim
smiliewhathesaid smilieIagree

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
heck yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!! ahem!!!
girls also ann's truck!!
1003091337.jpg

downsized_1003091104.jpg

Last edited:

Watchdog7

Guarding the Gates
Sweet, nothing like a Lady driving a real Truck. Nice rig fordgirl. =)

Ok, Ok, sorry.....you Southern Gals and Guys are lucky. The only vehicles I can afford are older ones that are already mostly rusted out, so it's more body work than mechanical work for me. I wish I knew what it was like to own an older but rust free truck! Jim

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts