Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Just got it and already broke it.

I got a '94 longbed, 300, automatic (I assume C6 since it's a 3 speed) on Friday. First Ford and I'm loving it so far. It definitely needs some TLC on the body.

Tailgate is excellent, interior is like new, everything works, not alot of rust underneath, runs great, tracks nicely.

Now the bad news, as I was checking it out _the deal was already a given Unless something MAJOR was wrong with it, I tried to shift the transfer case into 4wd. I was reefin' on it something fierce to get the shifter to budge (I used to have a tight shifter on my Jeep) and it broke freeand then the shifter kinda went really loose....but it was in 4wd. We drove it outta the guys muddy yard and then I tried to get it to shift back into 2wd, and of course it wouldn't.

We got underneath and we could see a brand spankin' new fresh break in the cast metal piece that goes from the transfer case shifter lever down to the rod lever on the transfer case. I don't know if they can weld cast at my workplace (I know I can't) or if someone here can tell me the name of the piece I'm talking about.

Or my onlyother option is I may try to fab a piece myself for the time being til I can get the correct piece.

The truck is making me happy otherwise, I'd post pictures but I'm toatally computer illiterate, plus I don't have a camera. Jim

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
its common on truck that 4x4 wasn'y used . for these to break . I lube everything I can like this as it happened to me in past .

Go to the wreckers or look for a truck being parted out as they r cheaper there.

They go nuts !!! on ebay . Like $50 bucks here at the u pullit .

Good luck on parts search

thanks Lost, at least you know what part I'm looking for. I'm gonna try to get it off and take it to work tomorrow. I know the fab shop guys there can weld cast metal but I don't know if they can weld this piece strong enough to take the pressure it needs. I'll be spraying and lubing all the parts today.

When this setup is working properly should I just be able to pull the shift lever straight back on the fly, or do I need to do anything else to shift into 4H? Thanks. Jim

thanks Chris, I actually broke it before I even bought it. We went for a test drive and I broke it in the guy's yard before we took off.

Background on getting it.....I called a number on Craigslist and was talking to this guy 60 miles away about the truck. He told me it was his Uncle's truck and that he had worked for the R.R. so I told him that my Son works for the R.R., and when I told him my Son's name he told me that he had worked with my boy before my son transferred to a different location! So I felt a bit more at ease and believed what he told me about the truck before I drove 60 miles to check it out.

I was getting frustrated with all the wild goose chases and missed deals, so I took a shot on this one and it turned out good. I offered another guy 1200 bucks for a truck in lesser shape than this one and he flat out wouldn't budge from his asking price of 1500. This truck, I told the guy I could only go $1200 before I even drove to see it and he told me that his Aunt would accept it. It needs a new windshield and tires but I have tires and I can get a windshield when it runs out inspection time.

It's Tourmaline Green - which looks blue to me until it's in really bright light. I am planning to paint it in the spring but it'll probably get I.H. Red. Jim

Hey Robert, thanks for asking for pics, but I don't have a camera. Wish I did, and I wish I knew how to send pictures. I just sold my Jeep for $1600 and took that money and bought the Truck for $1200 plus $200 for registration and transfer, and the remaining $200 I gave to my wife. I told her to please spend it on herself for her enjoyment....she's almost thru nursing school, plus she works as a Nurse aide at a nursing home. She's had a rough past 2 years and she never spends a penny on herself, so I wanted her to at the very least buy herself some clothes. I definitely coula used the money on the truck but she deserves it. I gotta count my blessings, I have a great family, a wonderful wife, a job that gets the bills paid (barely!) and now a Ford truck....what else could a man ask for? Jim

Thanks Junior. If you knew my wife you'd see what I mean. She never buys anything for herself, she would give anyone her last dollar if they needed it, and she literally has. She works really hard at a nursing home and has alot of compassion for "her" residents. She's almost completed a two year degree to be an LPN, and has perfect attendance and has to study all the time, in between working and putting up with me! LOL! Don't get me wrong she's no saint either, she was highly pissed at me selling my Jeep so I could get a Ford truck, and I spent some time in the doghouse over it.

But I decided that whatever money was left over from me buying the truck I was gonna give her to spend on herself, but I still don't think she's gonna do it and will probably end up paying bills or getting groceries or whatever.

I believe I got a reasonable deal on the truck, about the best I was gonna get for the money I had. Around here they are all rust buckets but this one was a little bit less on the rust than most I've seen. It'll give me a project and something to occupy my time, and being in the garage is my favorite place on earth. Jim

KdPate

After Hours Garage
Keep an eye at the local Pull-a-Parts and other salvage yards. Parts can be found fairly reasonable. Good part is upgrades are easy and cheap todo on these trucks.YelloThumbUp

Old_Paint

Old guy with old cars
Alabama
How many miles on that 300? Those are tough engines. Loads of bottom end grunt. They ain't so fast, but they'll pull the gates off Hell. Kind of odd to see a '94 with an auto that doesn't have E4OD, but hey, count your blessings. Hard to go wrong with a C6. Those are tough trannies. Not so great for fuel mileage, but you're already going to be a few coins up by losing the Jeep and moving into the truck. I think your wife will come to appreciate the truck more than the Jeep too. Probably just the "what we have is paid for and running" jitters on her part.

Great woman from all accounts, and great truck too. If you work in a fab shop, you should be able to get something fabbed up even if the original piece can't be welded. Get all the pieces, and just superglue them together to last long enough to get accurate measurements, then fab up a whole new piece.

Someone that knows what they're doing with a MIG or TIG welder can fix ya right up, though. The one problem with welding a cast piece is that it typically makes the casting weak somewhere else. The weld will be the strongest part of the piece. I'd get under there and dismantle all the auxiliary linkages, and clean / lube them. ANY 4WD that's ever been off road at all is going to have mud/crud under there. If you're in the salt belt, even worse.

Sounds like you've got a lotta good truck to work with. Good luck with it, and get a digital camera. They're not that expensive. Hey, might be a good thing to ask Santa for this year. Could get a really nice one that the both of you could enjoy. OR, get wifey one that you can borrow frequently, hehehehehe.

Tim, thanks for the nice comments, the truck's got 173,200 miles on it. I work at a Graphite Mill, but one of the guys who works maintenance said he can either weld it or like you said fab a new piece up.

My wife took $100 of the $200 I gave her and went and bought Christmas toys for needy kids at one of her co-worker's church today. She told me that she knows what it's like to go without toys for Christmas and she doesn't want to see other kids go through it. I told herto spend the money any way she wants just so she gets enjoyment out of it, and so that's her way of getting enjoyment. That's why I count my blessings to have a wife like her. Jim

You sure thats a C6?... C6's were phased out by 94, most likely to see a
E4OD, AOD or AODE

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
I have seen several 95 with c6 over the years most special orders or fleet /municipal truck . But the c6 is tough ..

Update on the truck..... being a newby with Fords and auto transmissions, I mistakenly called it a C6-- but I now believe it to be a E4OD. I'm not sure but it definitely has overdrive. Sorry for the confusion.

I got a guy at work to weld up the shift linkage for the 4wd. Everything in the linkage was siezed and gaulded so we anti siezed everything when reassembling.

The truck runs great and shifts smoothly. And it's the nicest interior I've ever had on a vehicle. It's got the XLT package which I'm guessing has all the fancy doodads- I've never had A/C on a vehicle either.

And of course it comes with the patented Ford rusted out rear wheelwells, which I did a halfass fiberglass fix job just to get through til spring. I went to all the autoparts stores and they don't sell Tourmaline Green touchup paint anymore- to do around the wheelwells.

In the spring I'm gonna glue on some new wheelwell patch panels, and either touch up or repaint the whole truck. I'd post pictures but no camera, and no knowledge how to post them. Jim

Dupli-Color usually has a wide selection of paint that match the color code.. or go to a body shop and see if they can mix you up some paint..

Darker green right? Not like mine?

NeXtras, I like your truck....the Autozone tried to look it up and told me it's unavailable, and said that Duplicolor does that alot with colors (discontinue) so I called the local autobody products place and they told me that they can mix an 11oz. spray can for 25 bucks. The color looks like a dark blue, then in bright sunlight looks green, it's a really nice color and it sucks I can't get cheap touchup. Jim

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts