Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

how well do you stick to changing oil after 3 months

how often do you change your oil

• 3,000 miles, i drive often/far (5k if that's how you roll)

Votes: 21 61.8%
  • 3 months, on the dot

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • i just keep adding oil b/c it leaks so bad

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • 3+ months, when i get around to it

Votes: 7 20.6%

• Total voters

70blue

Georgia Chapter member
When I check my oil and it looks like its time. I used to change religiously at 3000 but oil is expensive and looks clean beyond 3000.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I'm fuzzy on the details, but a friend was telling me about an experiment he did on a fleet of vehicles and equipment he was responsible for maintaining, to see how long it was practical to run the oil, and whether it was worth replacing the filter more often than the oil when getting into the longer intervals.

My recollection is that his conclusion was to replace the filter fairly regularly (intervals don't carry over so well from construction equipment to cars) and that the oil would last a LONG time. However, I know he changes the oil (RotellaT) and filter in his Powerstroke every 5-6k miles. 340k+ miles says that's often enough...

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
I'm going to have to disagree with your friend, Ian.

People don't understsand that the oil breaks down. The viscosity indexers in oil are like little springs... The springs eventually wear out, break, etc., and the oil is no longer good.

If anything, change the oil and not the filter, never the other way around.

The filter becomes MORE EFFICIENT to a degree, because the junk in the filter makes the holes smaller, meaning it filters out more small particles now.

I just change both...

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I just don't track my miles. When the season changes, I change my oil.

Ryan

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I'm going to have to disagree with your friend, Ian.

People don't understsand that the oil breaks down. The viscosity indexers in oil are like little springs... The springs eventually wear out, break, etc., and the oil is no longer good.

He knew that, and was having used oil analyses run regularly. This wasn't some guy not changing the oil in his pickup to see what would happen...though I can't remember all the details of his experiment, I know him well enough to know that he would be methodical and make very certain nothing he did would compromise his equipment in any way.

But what he was finding was that quality dino oils don't break down significantly in 5 or even 10 thousand miles. Eventually, sure...but nowhere near as often as conventional wisdom says you need to change your oil.

Like I said, though...it's fairly telling that he does still change both oil and filter regularly in his personal pickup.

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
Scamsoil always makes a big hype out of UOA. Did you know that UOA will not tell you that your oil is sludging? This was from a guy at Blackstone Labs, who do UOA.

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
Going to try out the 15,000 mile synthetic, miles vs price it figures out less cost.

That sounds like Scamsoil's BS! Don't buy it! Since they are a MLM company (pyramid structure) they have to charge a highly inflated price for their products. The only way they can justify the prices is saying you can run it a long time! And on top of that, only one of their oils is API certified!

Psycho about it...not just in mine but in my families rides. I use Mobile 1 in mine and could let it go to 5k but don't. It's my Dr. appointments, moms also and she gets in and goes with no thought. She'd drive to Tampa on a whim...I think it's a Tony issue..if I didn't scream"Oil change"!!

Fellro

Staff member
That sounds like Scamsoil's BS! Don't buy it! Since they are a MLM company (pyramid structure) they have to charge a highly inflated price for their products. The only way they can justify the prices is saying you can run it a long time! And on top of that, only one of their oils is API certified!

Nope, extended life Mobil... 15,000 mile guarantee... I know all about Amsoil, not in any of my vehicles... my dad tried it years ago, made plenty of sludge.
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_Extended_Performance.aspx

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
He knew that, and was having used oil analyses run regularly. This wasn't some guy not changing the oil in his pickup to see what would happen...though I can't remember all the details of his experiment, I know him well enough to know that he would be methodical and make very certain nothing he did would compromise his equipment in any way.

But what he was finding was that quality dino oils don't break down significantly in 5 or even 10 thousand miles. Eventually, sure...but nowhere near as often as conventional wisdom says you need to change your oil.

Like I said, though...it's fairly telling that he does still change both oil and filter regularly in his personal pickup.

Interesting...

The truck is driven around 2-3000 miles a year and the oil is changed about every 3000. I use Castrol GTX 20W50 Dino.

nice truck! only thing better is if it were a creeper 1st trans. at least youve got a low range.

Are you talking to me?

If so, thanks. :D

Oh it creeps good enough with 4LO and the 300s low end torque. Its enough that I take off from stoplights in second gear. :p

Oh it creeps good enough with 4LO and the 300s low end torque. Its enough that I take off from stoplights in second gear. :p
really? mine feels like it lugs way too much starting in 2nd. that's my biggest complaint about this engine/tranny combo. 2nd is too low and 1st feels like it jumps way too much and it too quick/high of a gear.

if i'm rolling at all, 2nd is fine, but it's 1st 90% of the time

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Forgot about it until just now, but I'm also (along with my uncle) mostly in charge of maintaining my grandmother's car. She doesn't drive much, and never very far.

I try to change the oil annually-ish, which I think has worked out to about 3,000 miles. Since I never drive the car, it's very hard to keep track of mileage, and Grandma's not used to having to worry about that since Grandpa always did it. But I figure if I change it sometime every summer, that should be good enough. [confused]

really? mine feels like it lugs way too much starting in 2nd. that's my biggest complaint about this engine/tranny combo. 2nd is too low and 1st feels like it jumps way too much and it too quick/high of a gear.

if i'm rolling at all, 2nd is fine, but it's 1st 90% of the time

Well, whats your rear axle ratio? And what size tires are you running? I have 3.73 rear axle ratio, and 31" tires.

Well, whats your rear axle ratio? And what size tires are you running? I have 3.73 rear axle ratio, and 31" tires.
i have some really high ratio (like 3.05 or something, can't remember) and 29s.

i also question if the gears were swapped by the previous owner. they bought the truck solely to pull their camper. so...not sure

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
I change at like 2500ish on all my stuff, never drive enough in a year to change at 3K. I just like to keep it fresh. Truck gets Quaker State 4x4 10w30 syn, mus gets QS HorsePower 10w30 Syn, Bronco gets 10w30 normal, and the beater gets QS High Mileage 10w30. So all the same weights and whatere QS offers lol.

i have some really high ratio (like 3.05 or something, can't remember) and 29s.

i also question if the gears were swapped by the previous owner. they bought the truck solely to pull their camper. so...not sure

Yeah, well with 3.05 gearing the power isnt really accessible in 2nd gear to take off with it, but with the higher gearing it is. If yours was changed to anything it was probably 3.55 which would still be difficult to start off in second gear.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
No it aint I do it all the time in the 85 and that has 31s on it. I also had a 87 that had a six and four speed with the same gears and it would squeal the tires in 2nd no problem.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts