Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Help new to Trucks

I just picked up my 2001 F150 XTR last week. I have found few thing I have to figure out, here they are
1. Air Bag light is on - it flashes 2 then 7 until it stays on constant, the dash switch for the the passenger air bag is also not on either. What could this be?

2. The temp dial for hot and cold does not change unless you shut the unit off the change temp settings and turn back on.

I also do not have the owners manual, I have the case for it but it only has the original warranty stuff in there. Does anyone here have a 2001 F150 owners manual or at least can you post up what fuses do what forthe fuse panels.

I have also installed HID's to it but have found that this truck uses the low beams as the DRL's so it causes a problem with them. I would like to know where this unit is located and the wiring codes for it. Both my Taurus SHO and my Cougar used the high beams for the DRL's and no problems at all with the HID's.

I look forward to this great site and thanks in advance for all your help and advise.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Let me look, be back shortly.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Code 27....passenger airbag deactivation lamp inoperative.PINPOINT TEST L: LFC 27/DTC B1884 — PASSENGER AIR BAG DEACTIVATION (PAD) WARNING LAMP INOPERATIVE
NOTE: Most faults are due to connector and/or wiring concerns. Carry out a thorough Inspection and Verification before proceeding with the Pinpoint Test.

CONDITIONS DETAILS/RESULTS/ACTIONS
L1 CHECK FOR A HARD OR INTERMITTENT DTC
WARNING: Restraint system diagnostic tools are for service only. Tools must be removed prior to operating the vehicle over the road. Failure to remove restraint system diagnostic tools could result in injury and possible violation of vehicle safety standards.
WARNING: Never probe the connectors on the air bag module. Doing so can result in air bag deployment, which can result in personal injury.
WARNING: The safety belt pretensioner is a pyrotechnic device. Always wear safety glasses when repairing an air bag equipped vehicle and when handling a safety belt buckle pretensioner or safety belt retractor pretensioner. Never probe a pretensioner electrical connector. Doing so could result in pretensioner or air bag deployment and could result in personal injury.
NOTE: After diagnosing or repairing an SRS, the restraint system diagnostic tools must be removed before operating the vehicle over the road.
NOTE: The SRS must be fully operational and free of faults before releasing the vehicle to the customer.

Scan Tool

Retrieve/Clear Continuous DTCs
Retrieve and record any continuous DTCs for use later in this pinpoint test.

On-Demand Self Test

Was DTC B1884 retrieved during the on-demand self test?
Yes
This is a hard fault. The fault condition is still present. This fault cannot be cleared until it is corrected and the DTC is no longer retrieved during the on-demand self test. GO to L2.

No
This is an intermittent fault. The fault condition is not present at this time. GO to L5.
L2 CHECK THE PAD SWITCH WARNING LAMP VOLTAGE

Deactivate the system. Refer to Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) Deactivation and Reactivation in this section.

RCM C208

Measure the voltage between RCM C208 pin 9, circuit 629 (BN), harness side and ground.

Is the voltage between 9 and 16 volts?
Yes
INSTALL a new RCM. GO to L6.

No
GO to L3.
L3 CHECK CIRCUIT 629 (BN) FOR A SHORT TO GROUND

Measure the resistance between RCM C208 pin 9, circuit 629 (BN), harness side and ground.

Is the resistance less than 1000 ohms?
Yes
REPAIR the circuit. GO to L6.

No
GO to L4.
L4 CHECK CIRCUIT 629 (BN) FOR AN OPEN

PAD Switch C213

Measure the resistance between RCM C208 pin 9, circuit 629 (BN), harness side and PAD switch C213 pin 2, circuit 629 (BN), harness side.

Is the resistance less than 10 ohms?
Yes
INSTALL a new PAD switch. GO to L6.

No
REPAIR the circuit. GO to L6.
L5 CHECK FOR AN INTERMITTENT FAULT
Refer to the continuous DTCs recorded during Step L1.

Was the continuous DTC retrieved during Step L1 an intermittent fault?
Yes
CHECK for causes of intermittent faults on circuit 629 (BN). Attempt to recreate the hard fault by flexing the wire harness and cycling the ignition key frequently. REPAIR any intermittent concerns found. GO to L6.

No
GO to L6.
L6 CHECK FOR ADDITIONAL DTCs
Refer to the continuous DTCs recorded during Step L1.

Were any continuous DTCs retrieved during Step L1?
Yes
Do not clear any DTCs until all DTCs have been resolved. GO to the Restraints Control Module (RCM) Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Priority Table in this section for pinpoint test direction.

No
RECONNECT the system. If previously directed to deactivate the system, REACTIVATE the system. REFER to Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) Deactivation and Reactivation in this section. REPOWER the system. REFER to Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) Depowering and Repowering in this section. PROVE OUT the system. CLEAR all DTCs.

SRS

Thats alot of info....no real simple test is there? Also is this a dealer only scanner? Do you scan thru the OBD II port? I was hoping for a blown fuse....LOL
Is it saying that it may just be the light is burnt out?
I know alot of questions......tired and frusterated
Thanks for the qwik reply by the way....hope we can resolve this problem.
LMK what you think I should do/try first
Also how do we clear the DTC's for the SRS system?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Thats alot of info....no real simple test is there? Also is this a dealer only scanner? Do you scan thru the OBD II port? I was hoping for a blown fuse....LOL
Is it saying that it may just be the light is burnt out?
I know alot of questions......tired and frusterated
Thanks for the qwik reply by the way....hope we can resolve this problem.
LMK what you think I should do/try first
Also how do we clear the DTC's for the SRS system?
Unfortunately, the diagnostic tool to clear dtc's in the rcm is expensive. You might go by Autozone or another comparable part store and see if they can scan it for you. As the test shows, if the dtc returns, its a hard fault, and it'll have to be repaired before it will go away.

tkolasch

Certified Ford Tech
what I've found is the ind. light assy. and is a dealer only item. cant remember part # and has a weird name for the part. bulb is bad and causes the flashing light and codes.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
I just picked up my 2001 F150 XTR last week. I have found few thing I have to figure out, here they are
1. Air Bag light is on - it flashes 2 then 7 until it stays on constant, the dash switch for the the passenger air bag is also not on either. What could this be?

2. The temp dial for hot and cold does not change unless you shut the unit off the change temp settings and turn back on.

I also do not have the owners manual, I have the case for it but it only has the original warranty stuff in there. Does anyone here have a 2001 F150 owners manual or at least can you post up what fuses do what forthe fuse panels.

I have also installed HID's to it but have found that this truck uses the low beams as the DRL's so it causes a problem with them. I would like to know where this unit is located and the wiring codes for it. Both my Taurus SHO and my Cougar used the high beams for the DRL's and no problems at all with the HID's.

I look forward to this great site and thanks in advance for all your help and advise.

Seen many PAD bulbs bad causing this code, mostly super dutys, DRL's use 2 relays a a resistor to control them im unable to copy and past the wiring diagrams if any of the other guys can it's pages 97-1 and 97-2.

help

Cool Thanks Guys, also I got a 1996 Ford Service CD from the guys on the board when I was hard into my SHO's anyone on here have one for 2001 that I could get a copy of? I also got a copy of the fuse box ID's off All Data for inside and under hood. Any idea's on what to check for my temp dial not changing? It is always on the hot side. I will try and swap out the PAD switch to solve my air bag problems. Thanks again

Last edited:

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Cool Thanks Guys, also I got a 1996 Ford Service CD from the guys on the board when I was hard into my SHO's anyone on here have one for 2001 that I could get a copy of? I also got a copy of the fuse box ID's off All Data for inside and under hood. Any idea's on what to check for my temp dial not changing? It is always on the hot side. I will try and swap out the PAD switch to solve my air bag problems. Thanks again

Any updates?

help

Yep I replaced the air bag switch, all is good now. Still have to look into the temp dial on the heater controls, been to cold out to investigate that one.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts