Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Help. 2007 F150 5.4l

blacksnapon

Staff member
This is rapidly turning from a problem to a nightmare
I think I would however diagnose the po340 first. Look at the sensor and wires on the passenger side, top front of the motor for damage or chafing of the wires.

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
Ok the dealership it will be going into, one I used several times when I had my 6.0 and could not get to San Diego, is where I will be taking it. Lake Elsinore Ford. They have treated me right in the past and when I called the service writer remembered me by name. Not just the info you can read in the computer but the personal info you talk about when your taking care of business, family kids etc...

Anyways she ran it by her mechanics and said they would start by looking at the solenoids? That the same as sensors Vince? Remember I am getting this second hand now...See if that stuff solves the problem before they send it in to be torn down for phasers or cams or other mechanical stuff.

It will go to them first thing Monday morning as they are booked Friday and while they have a few mechanincs on staff on the weekends, none that would do this type of work.

I'm gonna bottom line it for you guys and say while yes I am disapointed my truck is down I am more angry at how I feel I was treated at the other dealership. I don't feel this issue was given the proper time or concern. I feel they saw the TSB about aftermarket oil filters, said OH that's the problem and didn't do a complete diagnosis of it, for whatever the reasons are.

There are bad waiters, there are bad contractors there are bad cops and there are bad dealerships etc...I feel I got a bad dealership.

I am pissed at myself for not going with my gut and taking it somewhere else to begin with! DANG that pisses me off more then anything.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Anyways she ran it by her mechanics and said they would start by looking at the solenoids? That the same as sensors Vince?.

Aaron, the P0340 code can be a bad Cam Position Sensor, Crank Position Sensor, loose or broken wire. Vince can give you more detail.

I feel they saw the TSB about aftermarket oil filters, said OH that's the problem and didn't do a complete diagnosis of it, for whatever the reasons are.

Unfortunately they probably did little more than pull the codes, tell you that an oil change is needed. Clear codes and let you have your truck back. This all can be done by some $5 per hour kid they have working in their oil change bay. Sounds like they were not interested in really working on your truck. Hell if they are in bad financial shape there good techs may have quit or been laid off and they are down to the low wage earners in the shop.

I am pissed at myself for not going with my gut and taking it somewhere else to begin with! DANG that pisses me off more then anything.

Don't beat yourself up to much you tried to use someone who was geographically close to your house for very legitimate reasons and it did not work out. Lesson learned. Fortunately they did not tear your truck apart and keep it for 30-45 days waiting from some unheard of part.

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
They said when they drained the old oil it came out brown and gritty...

After having some time to reflect and talk to some folks this statement made to me by the service writer troubles me most mainly because it does not show up ANYWHERE in writing. It would seem to me that this would be a key diagnosis point. Where/how/when/what is the grittiness? Type/style/size/source of the grittiness.

I hope it dosen't mysteriously show up at a later time in the computer or something...

I don't like it more and more.

And also strange and irritating is the fact that even after a call to the service writer yesterday, the service manager and the general manager I have yet to get one phone call, asking me to bring it back in, telling me they are sorry for the inconvience or offering ANY sort of explanation.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
They said when they drained the old oil it came out brown and gritty....

Aaron,

I would not worry about this statement as it is pure BS. Like i said in a previous post, they had the $5/hour car wash & lube jocky change your oil. A tech never looked at it, and the lube boy is probably the one who pulled the codes as well.

Brown gritty oil is just pure BS, by them to help with the scam they were running on you. The only way the oil is going to be brown and gritty is if you dumped dirt in the oil fill port and/or ran with no air cleaner off road for a few years.

So how much did they charge you for this oil change and miracle dianosis & repair?

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
It was $30 out the door for "everything" they did.

Surprising enough at 4:40 this afternoon I got a call from the service manager telling me there are definitaly internal problems with the engine and they want to tear it down AND he needs to see all my maintance records for the truck. That is IF I want to them to fix it again.

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
So interesting phone call with the service manager.

Said he wanted my written permission for a complete engine tear down and rebuild. When I told him I did not have confidence in his shop after what they had done he told me I should take my business elsewhere.

And that I will.

Amazing lack of customer service. No sorry you feel that way, no we would like to try and make it better, no nothing just "you should take your business elsewhere.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Aaron,

That is because you didn't fall for the carte blanche engine tear down and rebuild scam. These guys are shisters from the word go.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
So interesting phone call with the service manager.

Said he wanted my written permission for a complete engine tear down and rebuild. When I told him I did not have confidence in his shop after what they had done he told me I should take my business elsewhere.

And that I will.

Amazing lack of customer service. No sorry you feel that way, no we would like to try and make it better, no nothing just "you should take your business elsewhere.
Wow.... It's pretty sad that there ARE people out there that fall for these scams :rotz:

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
Welp the truck went into a NEW dealership today. Has been my second choice behind DREW for some time laziness prevented me fromtaking it there in the first place.

Service adviser called me at noon today saying she and the service manager had taken it for a test drive to see if the problem could be duplicated and her response was "OH MY GOD I DIDN"T KNOW IF WE WOULD MAKE IT BACK TO THE DEALERSHIP"

They did some sort of "pinpoint" test she called it and determined there were no electrical issues. First thing in the morning they are going to pull the valve covers off and check a solenoid? to see if it is working. If that is the problem then a replacement and I'll be good to go. If not then appaerntly they tear the engine down enough to pull the cam phasers and cams?

Either way my truck has been there since about 10am and I have gotten 3 calls. One to let me know it got there ok, 1 to let me know the results of the test drive and 1 a few ago to let me know they finished the electrical testing and would be pulling the valves tomorrow. Total time on the phone with the service writer....About 3 minutes. Is that too much to ask?

Glad to see Customer service IS still alive.

I'll keep ya posted.

blacksnapon

Staff member
The teardown will be somewhat minimal. Both valve covers come off. There is a wedge that is driven down between the "up" and "down" portions of each chain. That keeps it in time while the phasers are removed. The camshafts can be removed as well without any other major compnent removal.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Punk!

Having not seen the truck Vince what would your first guess be for the actual cause?
Sounds like they are in the right area. Question will be how far they go for a precise diagnosis. They should be able to pinpoint to a specific cylinder (if a bad hla or camshaft lobe). If the issue is localized to one side, you go to a phaser or tensioner. Both sides, I would think oil pressure or bottom gear or crankshaft.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
Sounds like they are in the right area. Question will be how far they go for a precise diagnosis. They should be able to pinpoint to a specific cylinder (if a bad hla or camshaft lobe). If the issue is localized to one side, you go to a phaser or tensioner. Both sides, I would think oil pressure or bottom gear or crankshaft.

Well I quoted your post Vince because that is where they are headed.

So far they had it checked out electricaly on Monday and it checked OK. Tuesday they had a down day because of a prior, more pressing truck they had been waiting for parts to.

Today I guess they took the valve covers off.

Cam's look good, phasers look lined up. No scarring, chaffing or whatever on the heads. Said there is NO indication maintance or abuse is an issue. Service writer said "Heads don't lie"

They did find they have a loss of oil pressure somewhere, they are going to try and pinpoint tomorrow. Said the noise I heard was metal on metal from lack of lubrication due to a failure somewhere. Looking at the oil pump I guess tomorrow. Service writer said it could be it failed/failing causing the low oil pressure. Funny thing is I NEVER got an idiot light and it always checked "OK" when I ran the onboard status check thing.

Said worst case scenario is a new engine, that was what they had to do last time she saw a similar situation. Best case scenario is oil pump and replace any associated parts.

Either way it is me and the Chevy Impala for at least a few more days.

Said she had every indication based on what she saw and has been told that this will be a warranty issue.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts