Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Help. 2007 F150 5.4l

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Sounds like a Mac Truck, hehehe that's kinda funny, glad every thing is fix.
Did they give you any reason the pump failed?

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
well I'm not entirely sure if the pump failed all the way or had just "started" to fail. Because there was still some oil pressure, just not what it was supposed to be.

The oil pan had sludge and metal pieces in it. Not sure if that was a cause of the oil pump failure or the result of it...

Maybe someone more experienced could chime in with possibilities.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
well I'm not entirely sure if the pump failed all the way or had just "started" to fail. Because there was still some oil pressure, just not what it was supposed to be.

The oil pan had sludge and metal pieces in it. Not sure if that was a cause of the oil pump failure or the result of it...

Maybe someone more experienced could chime in with possibilities.

Sludge? seems kinda weird for a truck as new as yours and as well as you take care of her...
I know you say you take your truck to have the oil changed, I wonder if those goons had been doing the job 100%
When I was hauling used Oil there was some oil change shops that would cut their new oil with old oil, I knew this cuz I'd ever only pic up 25 gals out of a 300gal tank, and I cracked opened the fresh oil tank and it was black.

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
Yeah I'm not sure about what they were doing.

I did end up buying the extended 7/100,000 mile warranty to ease my fears about new and old parts mixing it up on the truck. I will probably also just take my truck into the dealership to have the oil changes done from now on. The prices are pretty reasonable and the peace of mind is worth it.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
I don't know how I missed this post but, we have changed multiple engines for excessive sludge build up and lack of oil pressure, each one was not serviced by a dealer, usually a wallmart or quicklube joint. Not sure what the deal is but these 5.4's don't like aftermarket oil changes.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Years ago, there was a big Q-state recall. It involved Wal-Mart, K-Mart,etc. More or less places that bought the oil in large volumes. I at times wonder about the quality of the oil at these outlets.

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
Well good bad or indifferent my truck will be going to the dealership for service from now on.

The price is negligible when I factor in the piece of mind it will give me knowing there will be no maintance questions. I think with a coupon i saw the oil change at the dealership to run about $25. Not to bad as far as I am concerned.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Well good bad or indifferent my truck will be going to the dealership for service from now on.

Isn't the dealership quite a ride from where you live? I know it's earlier in this thread, but I'm too lazy to look.

*Even if your dealership has an attached quick-lube place, you may do better taking it to the full garage. Dad always takes his car to our local dealer, and maybe 5-10 years ago they added a Quick-Lube joint across the street (their lot is also on both sides of the road). We've found, though, that the full-service side is the same price, often quicker (if they've got an open bay) and I've been...less impressed with the quality of service at the quick place. No point in getting into it...nothing too awful, but a few things I'm not happy about.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Aaron once again I ask... Why not achieve ULTIMATE piece of mind and change it yourself... I know for certain that you've got both the time and the expertise.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Ever occur to you, Chris, that botching your own oil change is a distinct possibility, too? :p

I change my own oil, and I don't intend to stop...but I'm not infallible. And DIY oil changes become a PITA when you're done and have five or six quarts of messy stuff that you have to dispose of in certain ways, too.

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
Because then I have to save receipts, document mileage etc. as well as have to explain my procedure, oil, filter etc

If I take it in then They handle all the paperwork and documentation. + From a warranty standpoint it just seems to make more sense.

Warranty aside, I agree with you Chris. I could do it and do it just fine.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
.................a PITA when you're done and have five or six quarts of messy stuff that you have to dispose of in certain ways, too.

Huh? I just crawl under and pull the drain plug on a section of rock/dirt driveway and use the stuff for dust control. Let it flow right onto the ground. It's also very useful for igniting slash plies in the winter months YelloThumbUp

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
That's what they did at my old, if some thing was wrong with the Oil they would dump it in to a ditch or on to dirt roads thousands of gallons, kick 55g drums in to gutter.

blacksnapon

Staff member
That's what they did at my old, if some thing was wrong with the Oil they would dump it in to a ditch or on to dirt roads thousands of gallons, kick 55g drums in to gutter.
Times are changing Tex! Our dealership was at one time the only dealership in the US that met ISO 140001 standards for environmental issues. We use the old oil for heating purposes. We're recycling paper, cardboard, metals of all sorts. The days of "just dump it in a ditch" are rapidly leaving.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I'd rather not say! but I dealt in hazmat clean up, what was really bad is what they would do with the oil drums of Perk and mercury.
I hated that job, but it paid really good.

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
***UPDATE***

So I'm at about 4000 miles since the new engine was put in and the last oil change so it was off to the dealership today for an oil change today.

Engine is running good and I have not noticed any problems since getting it put in. Tech said all appears to be well.

As some of you may remember I had to have a rental car for about 21 days during this entire ordeal to the tune of about $1000. I had asked for re-imbursement but had not heard anything and assumed it was a loss cause.

WELL apparently not entirely a lost cause. Service writer pulled me aside after finishing everything up and told me they were not able to get a complete refund but did get a partial. I thought maybe a $100 feel good money but instead she handed me a check for $644.

All in all I can say I was happy with the inital outcome and even happier now.

:) :) :) :) :) :)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts