Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Had a good scare...

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Driving my truck a few days ago I noticed a metal-on-metal clangy sound coming from the rear end when I was going over bumps in the road... Had me worried sick. Got home and checked the whole undercarriage and didn't see anything that stuck out...

Took it back out tonight and it was still doing it :( I was actually headed back to Newcastle and decided to stay in Davis until I figured out what was going on... Was all the way at the other end of town (pretty far) before deciding not to make the journey. Got back to my place and got under with a flashlight (my super awesome $140 flashlight, I might add) and didn't give up til I found it.

One dirty white shirt and nasty burn on my arm from touching the exhaust pipe later, I found it!!

DSC01412Custom.jpg

The strap more near the camera snapped and took a hike somewhere on the road. The remaining one of the other side of the spring was still holding onto the top plate that goes over the leaf spring, so the top plate was flopping around making a HELL of a racket :headbang:

Anyways, do I need to replace this strap? What purpose does it serve? It seems my passenger side doesn't have a rear one at all... And the front driverside one is loosy goosy.

Last edited:

FordF350Baby

95 F350 w/ 460
Maine
lol nice find, that deff would make a racket, but glad you found it, I would replace just to stop all that noise so get that replaced

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Allot of these truck no longer have them .But they r cheap and help keep leafs allied , The replacement r just light metal straps that wrap around. But they help

Michigan
Ouchie. Glad u found it buddy!

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
u end up doing anything?
No. Brad saw that picture of the broken strap and said my springs didn't look right (big gap between the top two leaves). So he asked me to take some more pictures for him and sure enough my springs are messed up. The add-a-leaf's that were added did not get added correctly and now my main leaf is getting bent into an S-shape near the end where the add-a-leaf contacts it. See for yourself:

DSC01413Custom.jpg

DSC01414Custom.jpg

DSC01416Custom.jpg

DSC01417Custom.jpg

DSC01418Custom.jpg

DSC01419Custom.jpg

DSC01420Custom.jpg

So now I need to find a spring shop and see how to fix these damned things.

Michigan
Buy new ones lol!!

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I thought about getting lift springs but I'd have get a good set that won't compromise my payload/ride-comfort. I think I'll just have mine re-arched. Should be MUCH cheaper.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Looking at those pics explains everything. The added leaves should be tapered. Tapered ends do two things. They relieve stress from the leaf and they allow a softer contact point to the other leaves.

Where the added leaf hits the main spring it is bent from stress. If the added one had a tapered end, it would have probably worked fine. I wouldn't haul anything until you get those springs fixed. The main leaf is really stressed.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Personally, with the price of lift springs not being to high, I would just buy new. I'm not sure if they could be tapered now.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Mine are explorer pro comp. They ride nice and still seem to have the same load capacity. I have no problems pulling a trailer. If you do decide to go the new spring route, or even re arched springs, keep in mind that they will sag a little bit. After the first couple of months, my 6 inch springs sagged to 5 and stayed that way.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I was looking on Summit but none of the lift springs specify how much lift they've got! Ehh... Is it just me or is that one of the most important factors when buying LIFT springs.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Yeah it sucks the way they do it. You have to look at the springs then click on application to find out.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts