Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Gauges

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I've been debating on and off the best way for me to mount gauges and have them look good and be functional. After seeing Ken's roll cage mounts, it gave me an idea...the pillar seems like a great place...so, I am thinking about having studs welded on to the pillar when it's in the body shop....thoughts????

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I've been debating on and off the best way for me to mount gauges and have them look good and be functional. After seeing Ken's roll cage mounts, it gave me an idea...the pillar seems like a great place...so, I am thinking about having studs welded on to the pillar when it's in the body shop....thoughts????

Hey Duncanmaster.....keep in mind that my build was for shows, not for functionality. Although they look great, they add a little bit of a blindspot to the left front views....but I think you'll be ok if you don't have the roll cage as far out from the cab as I do.

If you're rig is lifted, your blind spot is that much more! Let me know if you need pictures from different angles inside.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
No roll cage Ken...I'm talking about welding on mounting studs when the windshield is out to mount the gauges. I don't like the idea of them below the dash...it's too distracting to look down.
And...there is no planned lift.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Duncan, i'm assuming 6th gens don't have A pillar trim or is it bare cab? I like them when there's a pod for the gauge(s) that molds into the trim. Also helps hide the wires. If there's no trim, then I'm not so sure it would look "right" by my book.

I'd try and mock it up first to see if you would really be happy with it. I would hate for you to weld tabs onto your truck only to be unhappy with the way it looks.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Duncan, i'm assuming 6th gens don't have A pillar trim or is it bare cab? I like them when there's a pod for the gauge(s) that molds into the trim. Also helps hide the wires. If there's no trim, then I'm not so sure it would look "right" by my book.

I'd try and mock it up first to see if you would really be happy with it. I would hate for you to weld tabs onto your truck only to be unhappy with the way it looks.

Bare metal...that's why I was asking..it is a more or less permanent deal.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Shaun...he could route the wires into the pillar, if he was willing to drill.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Shaun...he could route the wires into the pillar, if he was willing to drill.

True. But I know it would be hard for me to drill a hole in such a pristine truck.

My truck is nowhere near pristine, but I still find it hard to take a drill to any part of the body. I think i'm done with the drill though.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
True. But I know it would be hard for me to drill a hole in such a pristine truck.

My truck is nowhere near pristine, but I still find it hard to take a drill to any part of the body. I think i'm done with the drill though.

Believe me I feel the same way, but I have to do something...and to compound the issue, Autometer makes Ford Racing gauges, but not voltage or transmission temp dammit.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
No roll cage Ken...I'm talking about welding on mounting studs when the windshield is out to mount the gauges. I don't like the idea of them below the dash...it's too distracting to look down.
And...there is no planned lift.

Ahhhh, then you should be fine.....I love the fact that I can always keep a constant eye on the guages and not have it affect my driving one bit....It's convenient for sure. Having them below the dash just seems like a pain to keep an eye on or even just the occasional glance. These things have a red tint glow to them at night and look super sweet when lit up.....nice soft red glow that doesn't affect your driving either.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Same way you conceal any hole. Fill it.

:)

Not if there's wires fed through it. I didn't know if he'd just let the gauges block the wires and holes...or what his plan was.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Aww geez...it did, I was in semi-tech mode.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Don't pervert my thread...:rofl: :rofl:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Thanks...and I'm open to suggestions if anyone has them!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts