Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Ford Manuals Posted Here are being referenced elsewhere

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
That's good...glad it's linked instead of the photo just being copied and posted.

Fellro

Staff member
Agreed, sharing the link is the same as sharing your citation on a paper. Otherwise it is plagiarism. They go one step farther I see, and call us out by name and credit us as having useful info. At least as far as the manuals go... ;)

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
Nice Job!! Thank you Fatherdoug, shouldsmilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo be rather helpful to all of us that own these 78 and 79 Fords, like myself who has a 78 Ford, as well as many of the other people out there that have these trucks either as summer time cruisers, or daily drivers in warm climates.smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Great that the info is useful and that they had the decency to name the site!

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

Fellro

Staff member
I can see doing a little watermark off in a corner or something like "courtesy of Ford Truck Fanatics. Not obnoxious right across the center...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I want no part of watermarking.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Nice Job!! Thank you Fatherdoug, shouldsmilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo be rather helpful to all of us that own these 78 and 79 Fords, like myself who has a 78 Ford, as well as many of the other people out there that have these trucks either as summer time cruisers, or daily drivers in warm climates.smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo

You're Welcome.

Great that the info is useful and that they had the decency to name the site!

I didn't have a problem with the way it was presented.

I want no part of watermarking.

YelloThumbUp

Fellro

Staff member
Well ok then... :)

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
The only thing that could possibly make it worse would be to watermark it and call it your own.

Ryan

The facebook groups are terrible with this...not so much watermarking stuff...but snagging pics or brochures and posting it as their own. My personal favorite is when someone tries posting the fordification brochures, and doesn't realize it has a small 'ghost' watermark in the right hand corner.

I like my watermarking when i scan literature that i bought.

I had 100's of images a few people led people to believe they were theirs.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Here is my issues with watermarking...

First...technically this information is Ford copyright....so posting it really isn't 100% Kosher...but I suspect given that the parts and vehicles are not made anymore etc. that Ford doesn't really get too bent over it...but putting a name on copyright material??...that is just asking for it IMO.

Second....smearing a watermark over the whole damn page is just plain annoying on a couple of levels...half the time information is covered over, just like when a watermark comes on the TV when you are watching something and it obscures the image on the TV....and just how desperate is a person for recognition that they scanned something??.

It's the internet....people are going to do what they are going to do....on the plus side, when people do something that isn't above board...such as "stealing" images and saying they are their own, they normally get busted as there are enough honest guys that will call them out....I could name one that I'm sure is still getting razzed about it today.

Speaking for myself, I'm more happy getting correct information out than worrying about somebody reposting what I've posted....if someone does it...oh well...when I started doing this, I knew that it might happen...and so what?...if people's lives are that pathetic that they need to do that, then they have way bigger problems. It's a round world and we all know what does eventually happen.

Last edited:

mm_0_mm

Kansas Chapter member

First...technically this information is Ford copyright....

Second....smearing a watermark over the whole damn page is just plain annoying on a couple of levels...

...if people's lives are that pathetic that they need to do that, then they have way bigger problems. It's a round world and we all know what does eventually happen.

well said.

My watermark says COURTESY OF mil1ion

Trying not to cover important info in the process.
It simply means who took the time to scan it and haveit available.
I only did this after the culprits were caught using my obsolete illustrations and taking credit for them.
That's what I resented.
I haven't added a watermark in years.
It was a reactionary thing at the time.
Duncan always gets the credit from me when i suggest his stuff.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
That's actually a damn good point Duncan...hadn't thought about it that way before. Ford published it...so it's not really 'yours' anyway. And you'd be surprised the number of guys looking for recognition. I came across one the other day where I snapped a pic of one of my shop manuals on my bed showing rear axle detail. Had to chuckle.

First...technically this information is Ford copyright....so posting it really isn't 100% Kosher...but I suspect given that the parts and vehicles are not made anymore etc. that Ford doesn't really get too bent over it...but putting a name on copyright material??...that is just asking for it IMO.

Second....smearing a watermark over the whole damn page is just plain annoying on a couple of levels...half the time information is covered over, just like when a watermark comes on the TV when you are watching something and it obscures the image on the TV....and just how desperate is a person for recognition that they scanned something??.

It's the internet....people are going to do what they are going to do....on the plus side, when people do something that isn't above board...such as "stealing" images and saying they are their own, they normally get busted as there are enough honest guys that will call them out....I could name one that I'm sure is still getting razzed about it today.

Speaking for myself, I'm more happy getting correct information out than worrying about somebody reposting what I've posted....if someone does it...oh well...when I started doing this, I knew that it might happen...and so what?...if people's lives are that pathetic that they need to do that, then they have way bigger problems. It's a round world and we all know what does eventually happen.

Completely agree Duncan - just look what happened to all the great info that was assembled over at oldfordfuelinjection ...... that was a great resource that unfortunately got just too popular and attracted the wrong kind of attention from Fords legal sharks.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts