Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Finally got my crewcab!!

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Maybe you can get as much of the filler out as possible and knock them out most of the way with a dolly. If it's still not quite smooth, use just a small dab of filler. I don't consider it cheating but a lot of other guys do... It could be from wear/tear on the truck. My dents are along the bed rail and from transportation of the bed.

Ryan

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Looking good. AFA the bed, if there is no rust, thats a plus. It may take awhile to fix if it's just small dents, but worth it if there is no rust. From the looks of it, as small as those bondo sites are, I gotta believe it's just small dings and not rust. But you never know.

lookin good. Thanks for keeping us posted on the progress. I remember watching that truck on ebay. Never bid on it though.

Well I haven't gotten into the body of the truck any further than the last pictures. I've been concentrating on getting the back doors in shape. The rear passenger door is the only issue of rust I had to deal with. Here's how it looks after todays work.

It was pretty rusty on the inside and I wasn't going to chop that much out but now I'm glad I did. I ordered some replacement panels from LMC. Spent most of today welding them in place. Still have to finish the lower lip.

dsc03396.jpg

dsc03398.jpg

img00056200908271257.jpg

I still have to roll the bottom edge over. I drilled some holes in the edge to make it look like a spot weld once it is rolled over.
img00059200908271528.jpg

Here is what the outside used to look like. I was only going to take out at my black mark lines but also decided to get rid of all the rust so I ended up taking quite a bit more out.

dsc03394.jpg

If a mod reads this could ya add the "go" in got in the title of the thread please. With all my excitement of getting a crew I must of been in a hurry when I started this thread.

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Glad to see the progress Scott. Can't wait to see the final product.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
If a mod reads this could ya add the "go" in got in the title of the thread please. With all my excitement of getting a crew I must of been in a hurry when I started this thread.

Done.

(I think...)

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Looks great ya done a good job. As for the bed in the other pics the one on the 72 is pretty much all bondo along the bedside top bottom and in the middle. Kinda strange since its been a farm truck.

Thanks Dan.

I started today on the bed. Took most of the feather fill off and some previous body work. There is no rust thru, some minor dents from a previous accident I presume so it will need a little work. I also got the interior ready for primer.

img00083200909251338.jpg

One layer of primer and one layer of paint on the T-gate. It sanded down pretty easy.

img00085200909251339.jpg

Inside of the door is done, still have some detail work to do on the outside but it sure beats the rust it had.

img00086200909251340.jpg

img00087200909251340.jpg

I've also decided that I am going to use my NOS doors on the front of this build. The original doors have rust issues along the bottom seam and I'm not about to cut and weld patch panels in 2 more doors. The rear door was a pain in the ***.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Looking good man. You do some nice body work. If you are going to use your NOS doors for the front, you could always keep your rusty ones and just work on them after the crew is done just to give you another set. But, if they are too gone, than it might not be worth it. Damn, I can't wait to see the final product of this truck. Seeing these projects makes me want to get another one.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Lookin great Scott...so is it safe to say the majority of the body work is done? Also, I may have missed it, but was that truck a 400/435 combo? Is that what's gonna be refreshed next?

Buck you have no idea, well maybe you do, how hard it was to reskin the inner and outer panels on this door. Welding was a pain because that sheet metal is so thin. I was chasing holes quite a few times. I'll keep the original doors as a just in case set but probably won't do anything unless I need them. I'm also going to use the NOS set of fenders I have on it to. I really didn't want to use the NOS stuff but it will sure speed up the process to get it painted. Thanks

Ben the body work hasn't really started. Right now I am at the striping stages of getting all of the old paint off the box, still got most of the cab exterior to sand as well. I was only able to get the driver side partly complete, still more work on that and then I have to strighten some spots out. You can see just above the center of the wheel well it is pushed in a bit. I'll pull as much as I can so it is only a thin layer of bondo to straighten it out. I've got quite a bit to do yet for body work. There are still 2 holes in the roof I have to weld up.

Motor...... right now it is staying the way it is. Eventually I am hoping to do a 6.0 diesel conversion on it.

Last edited:

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I haven't tried to re skin a door, but I wouldn't want too. Just looking at your pics makes it look like a pain. But, it looks like you did a good job though. And you know, why is it hard to use NOS parts? I mean that' what they are for, using on nice projects. I remember when I bought NOS fenders, doors, and hood for my truck and was still looking for used stuff just so I wouldn't have to use the NOS. I guess when you have rare NOS parts you just hate to use them. But I agree. Use them and speed up the process and get the truck done. Something else will come up I'm sure to replenish your parts stock.

Looks good Hey I am looking for a 1965-1977 Ford F250 or F350 Crew Cab for under 3K anybody knows were there is one at? Also do you know of any problems with the 1974 Ford F250 Crew Cab with 360?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Looks good Hey I am looking for a 1965-1977 Ford F250 or F350 Crew Cab for under 3K anybody knows were there is one at? Also do you know of any problems with the 1974 Ford F250 Crew Cab with 360?

Nice thread jack...especially on a first post. Welcome aboard anyway, probably be best to start your own thread though.

If your looking for a crew try here: http://www.oldfordcrewcabs.com/phpBB3/ and also look on ebay. That is a pretty broad range on the year not to mention major body changes. Are you looking for a 2 or 4wd?

Any crew can have problems, all depends how it was treated but when you buy one you might as well suspect to start wrenching on them. 30-40 year old vehicles will have all sorts of previous owner gremlins to fix.

Hurry up and place your bid: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...kparms=algo=SI&its=I%2BC&itu=UCI&otn=10&ps=63

Last edited:
Curiosity got the best of me and I wanted to see what was hidden underneath that bondo. I was going to leave it but now I'm glad I didn't. It will require some work to get it straight but at least I'll have a piece of mind knowing what's underneath. I found some holes thru the metal, ended up welding them closed. Also the top of the bedside, above the dent, has some previous body work as well. I found some surface rust starting to form so I'm pretty happy that I took it all off. The wheel well is not rusted at all, just dented in.

img00091200909301123.jpg

img00090200909301123.jpg

How it sits now. Good thing for torches, all of the bed bolts including the 2 phillips head bolts came right out after a little heat on the nuts. Also had to unbolt the fifth wheel hitch.
img00101200910011100.jpg

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts