Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Exhaust

Ok I now know where the exhaust smell is coming from.

Exhaust Check Valve.

It sits right against the firewall, and thats why the fumes are so strong. Apparently it rusted out and broke.

Part: $18 Labor: $144 + $4.85 shop supply charge = $166.85 at Midas.

I am so excited to finally no longer have this headache. When I have the money that is lol.

No clue what that is, but thats a lot of $$$ to replace an $18 part. I think I would check around elsewhere or get one of the guys (or gals ) up there to assist you. Too bad you are not local to one of us. You could save some bucks by baking some cookies or a pie. (we like bribes).

On a side note: Unlike everyone else around here (it seems), I do not drink.

So does anyone know the exact location of the exhaust check valve? I am having trouble finding information on it and it's not in the manual.

The only check valves behind the engine are part of the thermactor air injection system, this is plumbed one of several different ways depending upon the engine and year of vehicle. This system pumps air into the back of the heads and/or the exhaust manifolds and/or directly into the cats to help burn off excess hydrocarbons and improve emissions. Autozone has some info and diagrams on thier website under vehicle maintenance and repair.

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
I would think that'd be a bit of a PITA to get to and replace, maybe that's why the labour is so expensive?

I can touch my nose with my tongue :rofl:.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
There usually at the back of the heads. Thats where mine where when I removed them.

The only check valves behind the engine are part of the thermactor air injection system, this is plumbed one of several different ways depending upon the engine and year of vehicle. This system pumps air into the back of the heads and/or the exhaust manifolds and/or directly into the cats to help burn off excess hydrocarbons and improve emissions. Autozone has some info and diagrams on thier website under vehicle maintenance and repair.

Thank you! You explaining it that way makes what the guy said make since.

And another thank you for proving to a couple un-named that it does exist.

Ford is still using that? I had an 80 ford that had that stupid pump on it (for a while).

Question of the day:

There are two different valves, one with both sides push on, and one with one side push on the other side threaded.

Which is on my truck?

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Good question. Your going to have to go back there and see what ya got, If its all rotted out maybe someone with your year can help ya out.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Glad to hear you got it all worked out.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts