Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

edelbrock manifold with holley carb. trans kickdown?

your mad man... there is no way you could pay me to do 100 in the bronk.. shes all over the road at 90 dont know if i could hold on

my truck has semi crappy tires, they are kinda bald but balanced. and it drives great on the freeway. i could cruise all day. but yeah it will peg the speedometer like its nothing. but its just a 2wd as well.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
my truck has semi crappy tires, they are kinda bald but balanced. and it drives great on the freeway. i could cruise all day. but yeah it will peg the speedometer like its nothing. but its just a 2wd as well.

My tires are pretty balanced, no crazy vibration or anything, and it tracks straight... but I just don't think I would feel comfortable doing 100mph in it.

Of course the Bronco has a higher center of gravity than your 2wd truck, so your truck is probably not as scary at those speeds

LEB Paul

I like Broncos
pussies

25534_513396909652_333100778_468413_3455111_n.jpg

in that bronco \/ and I was man enough to cell phone the speedo :D

(I like my new 460)

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I always wondered what some of these guys have as set ups...cuz I've had and owned over 25 of these dentsides in just about any configuration imagineable and I have yet to have one in stock form that could easily cruise 100mph...and that includes 460's. Most of the time, it seems like they start dying aaround 75-85mph and then takes another few miles to go that last 15-25 mph and they're none too happy staying there. Maybe I haven't found the right set up yet or the speedos are off and I'm actually doing more than I think...but I just can't believe how many folks say their trucks are so fast and can easily do 100+ in stock form...and I gotta do some major modding to be able to. Some guys have all the luck I guess.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
When I bought the 79 and took it for a test drive, it made it to about 85.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
When I bought the 79 and took it for a test drive, it made it to about 85.

Yeah and your rig was in great shape too. So i'd really like to know what tranny/engine/gearing combos yield the 100+ speeds. Only thing I could think is a 4 spd/460/with 2.75-3.08's.

dakonthemountain

California Chapter member
On flat land I have had Burt's speedo pegged and was still gaining speed pretty fast with his current 3:53s in the back (C6 auto, 460) but chickened out, and only did it once, but it sure was fun!. I've often had him at 80mph, but then my speedo is about 6-8mph over what I'm actually going since I have the larger tires than what came stock.
Dak

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Mild 460, c6, 4.10's, and 36" tires and it gets to gettin

You're right...Broncos came with mild 460's and 60/10.25's stock, not to mention are about 1000lbs lighter than trucks...dickcheese

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Not a 1000# lighter than a shortbox :D

my truck is 2wd and it has just a stock 351m with the edelbrock manifold and holley 670 street avenger carb and dual exhaust with cherry bombs. its quick, but needs a cam and some headers soon!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Stock form he meant.

Zactly...I know how to get to 3 digits, I was just wondering the combos guys had in stock form to do it.

I would imagine a 2wd half ton would be pretty quick with a stock 390 or 460.

That was my thought...and I figured gearing and tranny would play a big roll too...but Dak said he has C6/3.55 combo...but it's also a 2by and 460. I was always curious, is all.

dakonthemountain

California Chapter member
When I had the 4:10s I don't remember ever getting to 80 plus mpg as easy as I do now. I believe I have 3:53s also Ben. At least that is what I was told when it was put in and what is on my receipt?... Are you saying that's not possible and they would actually be 3:55 ratio?
Dak

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
When I had the 4:10s I don't remember ever getting to 80 plus mpg as easy as I do now. I believe I have 3:53s also Ben. At least that is what I was told when it was put in and what is on my receipt?... Are you saying that's not possible and they would actually be 3:55 ratio?
Dak

Yeah...I figured the lower numerical the gear, the easier it would be to get closer to 100...but they'd be a dawg off the line...but 3.5?'s ain't that bad. And to answer your question Dak...I really don't know what to call the gears. I've heard them called 3.50's, 3.53's, 3.54's and 3.55's. I know in my manuals I see 3.50's, 3.54's and 3.55's...I don't have a clue why Ford would do that though. I also know while talking to Bill one time he said even though they're called several different things, they're all technically 3.55's. He said the same thing about 4.09's, 4.10's and 4.11's. Yes, they're all listed differently, but technically, they're all just 4.10's. I dunno the rhyme or reason, and maybe I misunderstood something...but that's how I understood it.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts