Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

edelbrock manifold with holley carb. trans kickdown?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
AND pistons lol. but this motor needs some work, itd be easier to find a 400 already and clean it up, port the heads and rebuild it. i want to just use stock pistons, just new bearings, new cam, ported heads, headers, edelbrock manifold, the holley 670 carb, a double roller timing chain, and new oil pump and harmonic balancer.

The carb upgrade was amazing, can really feel some power. now to buy a cam hahahahah

Pistons don't need to be swapped to get you to a 400...same bore, longer stroke...and I was just being a smartazz about doing what I said..I'd pull it as well and go over eveything.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
ive found a 400 to replace the tired M for 150 w/ alum intake that im able to get because of the all wonderful scrap yard.

I'v never understood replacing a 351/400 with another 351/400 when 460's are a pretty much a direct drop in.. but that's just me. Seems like most people go that route though... (I have a 400, btw)

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
hey man i aint one to judge anybody. but i notice your sig says standin by my gun and bible since 86 but in your post you start off cussing. so that might give some people the wrong idea about christians. so if you could just lay off on the cussing or change your sig. once again not trying to upset anyone just a little curious.

To start things off...I'll let my Lord and Savior be the one to judge me. Secondly, we all sin, so if my cussing is a sin...what makes my sin any worse than anyone elses. Lastly, damn is in the Bible...so I figure I'm safe. That being said...no harm, no foul...so enjoy the site. Oh and I am from FSB

?????????????...because you are a Christian, you don't cuss?

:suspicious: The best kind of religous folk, the confrontational kind.:devil:
Nice hijack........newb.

You guys...are pit bulls.

now that we have all this straightened out lets get back on track... i must say that looks nice on top of that engine. i was thinking about getting a avenger system for my truck but didnt really want to get the truck avenger because it was only single inlet and didnt want to get the reg street avenger because it isnt set up for the steep angel needle and seat

I wouldn't worry about the Street Avenger...it's the only carb I use these days. I believe off camber ratings any way you can think is between 40-45*. However, if it's off camber wheeling you like, the stock Motorcraft 2150 is the best carb for the job.

Here's the carb I use:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-0-80783C/

Your best bet would be to give Tim a phone call....my understanding of the factory heads is that the combustion chamber doesn't lend itself well to much over about 9.5:1...I know Tim will be able to answer your questions and steer you in the right direction.

Sure enough...no head work on Red and that's definitely the weak spot.

so got the truck up and going. the carb someone jetted down to a 63. it was too lean, so i ended up taking apart the 600 holley i had and took the 66 jets out and put those in. works good. feels like it could go one step richer but it runs real nice.

MAN the power difference! before the stock 2bbl was OK, but man this thing moves and pulls all the way to about 5k rpm now!

next i need to take out the 351m and put in a 400 with a cam and headers!

Glad the ol' 335 is coming alive for you. And keep in mind, theoretically, you should increase mpg's as well...if you can keep your foot out of it.

I'v never understood replacing a 351/400 with another 351/400 when 460's are a pretty much a direct drop in.. but that's just me. Seems like most people go that route though... (I have a 400, btw)

For the same reason folks throw a SB in instead of a 460. It's just a matter of preference. And it's fun building a competitive engine that most folks consider a red headed step child. Without a doubt you're starting with a better platform with the 460 and if you take the same money upgrades and put them towards both, the 460 will come out on top. However, alot of folks have a majorly skewed view of what the 460 can do against the 400. Most folks compare the unsmogged pre-71 power demons to the 77-81 400 smogged dogs. Now if you go a few years later with a 460, you'll see when comparing a stock 460 to a 400 you'll see the 400 has 90% of the hp and produces a flatter curve over the same rpm range. You'll also see the 400 has nearly the same tq ratings at lower revs. Not to mention the fact, that a 400 is about 100lbs lighter when fully dressed. And as I've said before, if the 400 is good enough for MR. Kaase to win a couple Engine Master's competitions...it's good enough for me.

I dunno where I put it, but I've posted Bubba's M Block page several times and has great reading and just about anything you'd wanna know. The site is now archived and I'm at work, so I don't have the site saved, or I'd post it again.

Last edited:
ok so im having trouble!!!! so it ran great yesterday and today to work. drove it all day with the needle above E hahaha. ran fine! i was super happy.

Pulling into the driveway it died? hmm start it up, wont idle. get out take air cleaner off and mess with idle, doesnt want to run right. so i get it to idle at about 1000rpm odly and then put it into drive and it dies. now it runs sluggish in low rpm and mid throttle but wot and cruise above about 50 is just fine?

so why does it just not want to idle and run rough? it will rev up stablize then just fall out and die.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
For the same reason folks throw a SB in instead of a 460. It's just a matter of preference. And it's fun building a competitive engine that most folks consider a red headed step child. Without a doubt you're starting with a better platform with the 460 and if you take the same money upgrades and put them towards both, the 460 will come out on top. However, alot of folks have a majorly skewed view of what the 460 can do against the 400. Most folks compare the unsmogged pre-71 power demons to the 77-81 400 smogged dogs. Now if you go a few years later with a 460, you'll see when comparing a stock 460 to a 400 you'll see the 400 has 90% of the hp and produces a flatter curve over the same rpm range. You'll also see the 400 has nearly the same tq ratings at lower revs. Not to mention the fact, that a 400 is about 100lbs lighter when fully dressed. And as I've said before, if the 400 is good enough for MR. Kaase to win a couple Engine Master's competitions...it's good enough for me.

I dunno where I put it, but I've posted Bubba's M Block page several times and has great reading and just about anything you'd wanna know. The site is now archived and I'm at work, so I don't have the site saved, or I'd post it again.

Agreed on the 400 being a good motor, seems to get the job done very well even in stock form... but if I was pulling the motor for a rebuild, I would rather rebuild a 460, throw roughly the same amount of $$$ at it, and have a more powerful motor, and easier to get parts for.

If I had a older non-smogged 400 though, I would probably reealllyyyy consider it instead of a 460.

Like you said, just a matter of personal preference more than anything I guess... and thats what's nice. If everybody had the same thing, where's the fun in that? smilieFordlogo

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
so i should be alright with the street avenger. i dont plan on going over 670 with myplans for the motor. and i dont do very much rock crawling so i reckon i will be alright.

It'll be fine

ok so im having trouble!!!! so it ran great yesterday and today to work. drove it all day with the needle above E hahaha. ran fine! i was super happy.

Pulling into the driveway it died? hmm start it up, wont idle. get out take air cleaner off and mess with idle, doesnt want to run right. so i get it to idle at about 1000rpm odly and then put it into drive and it dies. now it runs sluggish in low rpm and mid throttle but wot and cruise above about 50 is just fine?

so why does it just not want to idle and run rough? it will rev up stablize then just fall out and die.

Running it above E like that, you didn't suck some crap up from the tank and clog the filter(s) or cause a blockage in a hose or get some debris in your carb, did you?

Agreed on the 400 being a good motor, seems to get the job done very well even in stock form... but if I was pulling the motor for a rebuild, I would rather rebuild a 460, throw roughly the same amount of $$$ at it, and have a more powerful motor, and easier to get parts for.

Very true...go with the biggest platform you can for the best numbers

If I had a older non-smogged 400 though, I would probably reealllyyyy consider it instead of a 460.

You know that's easily enough fixed, right?

Like you said, just a matter of personal preference more than anything I guess... and thats what's nice. If everybody had the same thing, where's the fun in that? smilieFordlogo

Exactly

preferences smefrences

460 pwns all you 400 nuthuggers all day long

:D

Don't you have a chicken to go bgawk

i got my kickdown working great!!

I got a question though. so i got it to idle smooth, and runs good while cruising and wot.....But when i drop it in gear it idles down a bit to much around 600-500rpm and when you first step on the pedal it kind of hesitates but when your going its just fine.

SOMEONE before me who had the carb jetted it down with 63 jets. but i put in some 66 jets and it helped out. im thinkin one step bigger to 68s would help. it for sure ran better with the 66s over the 63s.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I got a question though. so i got it to idle smooth, and runs good while cruising and wot.....But when i drop it in gear it idles down a bit to much around 600-500rpm and when you first step on the pedal it kind of hesitates but when your going its just fine.

Possible accelerator pump, not getting enough fuel or air (where are you mixture screws set)

well on my valve covers for my M it says idle should be 650 so thats about 550 in gear. about the hesitation i have no clue. i have a 2bbl and mine doesnt hesitate and in my street car it idles at 600 in gear and itll outrun any naturally aspirated engine in my area from idle to stomp.

Damn...really set that low, I had no clue. I always like mine at 800rpm in gear.

i think utfball is right. before i was experementing with jetting in the 2150 and it came factory with 57s and i had some 50s laying around from another motorcraft and stuck them in. without changing the economizer/ accelerator pump and right off a idle it had a dead spot and same thing when punch it so i would probably do a little tweaking with the amount of pump shot and see what happens

ok so tuned it up, got it to idle SMOOTH at 650 rpm and in gear it only drops to about 600 550 rpm. runs and drives freaking awesome. secondaries kick right in, and have smooth engagement and runs freaking good. ive been daily driving it and it does awesome.

im happy. seems to get way better mpg as well, and its pretty fast. and the 2nd gear freeway downshift at 70 to pass is insane. it does over 100mph. hahaha.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Sounds like it's running the way it should be!

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
your mad man... there is no way you could pay me to do 100 in the bronk.. shes all over the road at 90 dont know if i could hold on

I have to agree... I'v only had my Bronco to about 65mph, but I can tell you right now I don't believe I would wanna make it a habit to run 100+ in it.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts