Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Door shutting hard...is new latch the answer?

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Ken, you should be using a torx bit for that striker. A hex key will wallow it out so it is no longer useable. I think the proper torx size is 45, 50, or 55. :)

Oh man......thanks a bunch....I have those in my little tool collection....never even dawned on me.

Sent from my not so smart phone using Forum Runner! :)

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Ken, did you get a chance to adjust the doors? My plastic bushing has worn off on the drivers side and just found a replacement. This is the second one, I swapped the passengers striker to the drivers side earlier.

Not yet....going to do what Buck suggested and buy a cheap one local to see if that's the problem, then spring for the NOS ones on eprey.

buy a cheap one local to see if that's the problem, then spring for the NOS ones on eprey.

Why? That cheap one is going to work and perform just as good as an NOS one. Nobody is going to know any different either. If you've got money to throw away that is the perfect way to do it.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Why? That cheap one is going to work and perform just as good as an NOS one. Nobody is going to know any different either. If you've got money to throw away that is the perfect way to do it.

I thought this too Scott, but Duncan will know!

There is something to say about having ALL original parts, but I can already tell this build wasn't like that to begin with.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I don't understand not putting a genuine part on a truck such as Ken's, I guess that is just me.
The amount of posts whining and $$$$$ing about inferior offshore parts prevails, but when the option of a NOS part is brought up, there is often as much whining and $$$$$ing about either what it costs or why spend the $$ on it.

I don't get it and I suppose I never will.

Yeah....likely at least that many sets Mark :D

Certain NOS parts yes, door strikers, I see no reason for NOS. An aftermarket Dorman brand will work just as good and probably last as long provided the door is aligned.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine

HAHAHA.....smilietease

Ok, so I put the Doorman striker on yesterday and was pleasantly surprised by the results. It didn't shut as perfectly as the driver's side did, but you didn't have to darn near slam the thing worrying about the window breaking to shut it. Now you just have to give it a little more than just a little push and it shuts perfectly......I was checking the lines and the door seems to line up perfectly (not talking about it hanging, although it seems perfect there too) with the bed and front qaurter panel, so I'm not sure if I want to attempt to pull the striker out just a hair and see how it lines up or just leave it and my passengers will just have to push or pull a tad harder. I'm leaning towards leaving it as it's very functional and am just SUPER HAPPY I don't have to mess with the door hinges or latches.

The old with new electrical tape and NO bushing and the new doorman I bought for $8!

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
BEFORE

AFTER

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
This is why I'm leary about messing with the striker, cause the panels match up darn near perfect....if I try to pull it out even 1/32 of an inch, there might be a lip.....it shuts good enough for me....not sure if anything can be changed in the latch, but I'm not even going to mess with it. I think it's good indefinitely now.

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
I'll have to check mine as well, but they're working alright on my truck, and the contour lines on the doors, front fenders, and cab all seem to line up perfectly on mine. Why all of this baloney about NOS versus aftermarket ones ? Shoot new ones right from Ford should work too, for they might come from the same factory in China, Taiwan, Thailand, or even India. Who knows.smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Highly doubt NOS ones come from overseas, most of the NOS parts I have bought have been from either here or the States.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Highly doubt NOS ones come from overseas, most of the NOS parts I have bought have been from either here or the States.

I actually have some NOS hardware...trans pan bolts, oil pan bolt and a few other little things that say 'Made in Japan' right on the Ford box. I think I posted them somewhere around here before, I'll have to see if I can find it. But I'm with you, even if a Ford part did come from 'overseas'...it'll always be a better fit and finish if it came out of a Ford box.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I actually have some NOS hardware...trans pan bolts, oil pan bolt and a few other little things that say 'Made in Japan' right on the Ford box. I think I posted them somewhere around here before, I'll have to see if I can find it. But I'm with you, even if a Ford part did come from 'overseas'...it'll always be a better fit and finish if it came out of a Ford box.

For Gen 6?...or are you talking about later trucks?....I'm not disagreeing, but I have seen nothing I've bought that wasn't made here, there or Mexico.

Japan used to copy designs and manufacture US made tools and parts to a T.
I've got tools that I bought from estates or auctions that were made in Japan.
The quality is excellent.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts