Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Door shutting hard...is new latch the answer?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
You're gonna dick around with some aftermarket POS on that beautiful truck?

:headbang:

Get a pair of NOS ones for $40 from Fleabay.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Your latch is fine, but both your stricker bolts plastic sleeve (that's what I call it) that goes around the stricker that makes the door latch nice and tight are worn down to the point of not working, hence the tape trying to build it up so the door latches properly. You can see what a new one looks like in the Napa link. I think new stricker bolts will solve your problem.

Here is my new ones on my 75

First thing I noticed was how clean those jams are....man.

Guess I'm gonna have to post a picture how to on a 30 second door alignment!

PLEASE DO!

:wasntme:

Yikes....I didn't know something like this was available on eprey!

I'll have to look today.

The strikers are adjustable also, when I replaced mine I thought they just threaded into a fixed hole, but you can move it up or down so it's just right when the latch engages.

THIS, I DIDN'T KNOW.........:suspicious: I'm going to have to take one off to look, but I'm a little concerned because when I move the tape, the plastic part on it looks fine....I'll have to take some pictures with the tape removed, but if these things can adjust, that would be awesome.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine

Is there a part #?

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again

The ones in the top link just don't look NOS, but the other ones do.

Here's the other thing you can do. Go to NAPA or wherever and get a stricker bolt and see how it works. If it works great and solves the problem than if you want to go the NOS route than take it back and buy the NOS. I should check fleabay more often for NOS parts like that. Granted I have 6 years on my NAPA ones without any signs of wear, but for a little more than $20 difference, I could have NOS.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
ALLRIGHT....THOROUGHLY CONFUSED NOW!

Drivers side:
I pulled off the electrical tape and the bushing that rotates looks brand new without any wear and tear on it, probably because it had a little bit of electrical tape on it. I pulled the tape off and cleaned it up put it back on and the freakin door shuts perfect, quietly, nice and tight and I had to do it about 6 times to make sure I wasn't dreaming!

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
The ones in the top link just don't look NOS, but the other ones do.

Here's the other thing you can do. Go to NAPA or wherever and get a stricker bolt and see how it works. If it works great and solves the problem than if you want to go the NOS route than take it back and buy the NOS. I should check fleabay more often for NOS parts like that. Granted I have 6 years on my NAPA ones without any signs of wear, but for a little more than $20 difference, I could have NOS.

Thanks.....I think I'm going to try that.....so I don't have to buy NOS if I don't need them.

On to the passenger side....pulled off the electrical tape and there was NO BUSHING!

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
The driver's side is clearly new and the passenger side is clearly old.

And btw, I don't see how these things are adjustable at all!

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
The one stricker that has the bushing looks good and if it works, the run with it. They are adjustable. Sometimes the nut inside the jamb gets stuck with rust and corrosion. I've just hit mine with a screwdriver or screwed in a bolt and hit it a bit and the nut breaks loose and will move around.

Last edited:

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
The strikers are adjustable also, when I replaced mine I thought they just threaded into a fixed hole, but you can move it up or down so it's just right when the latch engages.

Hey Roy, sorry I doubted you....so brings up another question, they only adjust up or down, not side to side?

Cause I think they are in the perfect placement vertically....I was wondering if moving them side to side might make a difference, meaning, move them out to the road more.

Ken , when you loosen the striker bolt ( after marking its original position) You'll see that it has about 1/2" play in a circular direction.
The hole in the jamb is bigger then the stud , but the stud nut has a big washer than the hole. If that makes sense.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Ken, you should be using a torx bit for that striker. A hex key will wallow it out so it is no longer useable. I think the proper torx size is 45, 50, or 55. :)

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts