Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Converting to roller Lifters?

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Procomp or one of their spinoffs. If your truck starts running screwy pull the dizzy. They are well known to be massive POSs.

Screwy Eh?
Well if it does start getting alll funky on me what could be the cause of the issue?

Could I just swap out the guts? I really don't have the money to cough up for a new dizzy right now.

SC
What happened to all those cammers...

probably blown up on the drag strip.

I knew a guy who had 3 still in the crates at one time here pretty recently and another guy who had a blown 427 sohc that ran on nitro that made 2000hp sitting on a display stand. The company DOVE performance sells pretty much every component to build one as a repoduction copy for around 20k.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
regular production 429s used q-jets and spreadbore carbs. Nothing Ford performance has ever used one.

Dont take me as an a-hole. Contrary to popular belief thats not what I am. I just know an aweful lot about Ford motors.
No offense taken.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Hey Kris, you mentioned earlier that 460's don't like hydraulic roller cams. C an you elaborate on that a little? Just curious.

SC
Screwy Eh?
Well if it does start getting alll funky on me what could be the cause of the issue?

Could I just swap out the guts? I really don't have the money to cough up for a new dizzy right now.

The Ford Duraspark dizzy that are commonly found in junkyards for $20 is one of the best factory spark spitters there is. Im running mod'd one that has been recurved on my 521 and I know guys making 8-900hp doing the same thing as long as you keep RPMs under 6500 or so. The common problem with the Procomp HEIs is the spark scatter. The firing order gets thrown off and the motor runs like crap. I bought one just to try to see just how bad they were....I gave it to Paul (Captain p4). Hopefully he wont use it :rolling laugh:

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I have one on my 393. The housing is ok. The electronics, coil and cap had to be replaced within 8k miles. Lesson learned.

SC
Hey Kris, you mentioned earlier that 460's don't like hydraulic roller cams. C an you elaborate on that a little? Just curious.

Heres how my buddy Randy on 460ford explained it to me.

Basically the lifters are longer and that causes funky pushrod angles, the difference between these and the small block is the small block has in line valves and BBFs are canted which puts side load on the lifters and pushrods. This causes oiling issues to the valvetrain also.

IIRC he also said something about losing 10% of valve lift due to these problems.

I dont have any personal experience with hyd rollers in a BBF. My info is solely based on "what Ive read and what Ive been told" by guys who know what they are talking about. I generally dont make suggestions outside of my personal experience but I trust these guys 110%.

You can do some searching on 460ford.com for anything you want to know 460 related.

SC
Yes, but you shouldve got a duraspark dizzy from me that weekend.

Check your pile-o-crap and let me know if there is anything else missing before I send your flexplate.

SC
so basically you have invested the same amount of money as buying the MSD HEI?

More often than not people have issues with the Procomp (or their spinoff companies) parts. They take a good product like MSDs distributor, Aluminum cylinder heads or Danny Bees belt drive and find the cheapest group of Chinamen to build copies out of the cheapest components available so they can sell to unknowing people who are only looking at cost.

SC
Could you replace them with the MSD HEI parts?

Yes its a direct knockoff but by the time you buy the stuff to swap it over you have just as much $$ invested as buying the MSD to begin with.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
From what I've read, no. The MSD uses smaller screws than the proform is tapped for, and the msd can't be drilled out bigger.

SC
^^^Its either MSD or Mallory. I was most positive its MSD.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts