Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Chevy Question

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
I know, I know, but at least I trust you guys. If I go to the chevy forum I never know if those guys know why they are talking about or not.

My 98 Suburban was runnin pretty rough... Figured it needed cap/rotor/wires. This is a yearly thing, cause I always buy the cheapest ignition parts.

Went to use it one day and it wouldn't start. Figured my laziness had caught up with me so I replaced the cap rotor and wires. Started right up, but has a really awful miss... Plugs are all pretty recent platinum plugs. Checked them all, they're not fouled or anything. Thinking coil or the pickup coil in the distributor? Odd though there is no check engine light..

Ideas? Aside from buy an excursion instead, which is actually on the list. Been watching for 7.3 excursions for cheap....

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
You didn't get a couple of wires mixed up did you?

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Chris: cause it's a 2wd truck and I keep thinking I won't have it another year.

Duncan: double checked all the wires, they're all good.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Many cheaper wires have a tendency to "bleed" through. Nighttime, look at the engine running. You might see the shorting wires.

One of my Econolines developed a miss, soon after a tune up. Took it to my buddy to put it on a diagnostic computer.
He found a 3/8" x 5" carriage bolt jammed against the exhaust manifold and one of the plugs grounding it out. It had to have been thrown up there from one of the tires.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Seen a few V10s for under $5000, still looking for a Power Stroke.

There was one in Dickinson for $4500 but it had 235,000 on it... More than I want to get into.

Went out and looked at the wires, don't see any evidence of them leaking. Thinking maybe Randy's right, got a bad new part...

Any other ideas?

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
I've had many bad new parts, even the higher end parts.

A buddy bought an '01 F350 PSD that's just about to turn 300k. Paid $3000 and they have $1300 into a trans build...

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
IDK about the 7.3PSD but the guys dad has a '91 with the 7.3IDI that had a million five before the piston wore through. Was burning a quart of oil per 100mi.

And that '01 runs strong, starts without too much cranking and no odd noises was a former oil field truck too.

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
I ran into this on the HEI i installed on the 79 when i first fired it off....It was the magnetic pickup,took me a few days of beating my head on the wall for everything but the pickup/module was new..but it had a slight miss...Also if your runing a "Black" Rotor get rid of it...these are prone to fail...get a Delco "white" one...

Last edited:

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Hmm, maybe I shoulda went for that one...

When it comes to the 7.3 I'm not too scared of the beat up work trucks with high miles because those seem to have been taken care of better than the showroom queens...

Sorry for hijacking your thread btw...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts