Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

CB Radio Mounted and Wired!

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
1) Agreed
2) ok, could still use a cell phone...or watch the weather channel
3) Don't most folks already have cell phones?
4) been there done that, with an old unit my dad had...make sure you KNOW who you're talking to, or it can result in some hefty fines and tickets.
5) same can be said for a cell phone.

Like I said, I think they're cool, and not trying to burst a bubble...just didn't really know why/if it's really necessary.

I probably wouldn't warn a trucker anyway...if they're doing something wrong, I'd want them busted. I see the offroad reason...like I said, the only reeeeeeal reason I could come up with. Don't forget Ian...I hate cells as well.

You have a good point... smilieeatndrink

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Gotcha...I knew they were a life saver on the trail...used to have one in a '76 and in the 87 Bronk when I wheeled more...I just didn't know why else you may want one...or anybody for that matter.

As for Trista...now that's a GREAT gf...didn't even have to tell her or make a list or nothing, dunno if Bailee would be able to deduce what I wanted from overhearing just ONE conversation.

1. because their cool
2. because you can get traffic/weather
3. because they are cheaper than cell phones
4. you can hook up a PA
5. they are good for hours of entertainment if you find a couple of idiots goofin' off on them.

That enough? or you need more reasons.... :D

oh for sure man!!! But dont forget that your truck looks even better when it has whips on it!!! :D
me and my dad have almost matching trucks [[94 and 96]] and mine looks way cooler because of the whips! :D
And plus; truckers are the BEST to listen to when your bored! lol
:D

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
oh for sure man!!! But dont forget that your truck looks even better when it has whips on it!!! :D
me and my dad have almost matching trucks [[94 and 96]] and mine looks way cooler because of the whips! :D

I ain't got nothin fancy (as you can tell from my pics I posted earlier) but I have to say, I like how my truck looks with a CB antenna (even if it is a Chevy smiliepeelout)

and truckers are funny! to bad I live to far from the interstate to listen to them, but I can hear some of the coal trucks on the mountain and pick up some redencks from down the valley on base stations smiliegitrdone

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

Which brings up kinda an off topic question...never liked the look of having antennas protruding all over...all this technology and no one has figured out how to make a small compact antenna with good reception? If so...Chris, since I know you like clean/smooth exteriors, I want you to find it for me...haha. But yeah, those truckers definitely keep you entertained...for that reason alone, a CB would be useful to me over the next few months.

That is a good point.
I know its all in who you talk to on what you like. I know my dad doesnt like how they look but I love them.
I think maybe Four-Wheel parts has the smaller ones. Dont hold me to it but I think I remember seein them somewhere when I was looking for mine.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Which brings up kinda an off topic question...never liked the look of having antennas protruding all over...all this technology and no one has figured out how to make a small compact antenna with good reception? If so...Chris, since I know you like clean/smooth exteriors, I want you to find it for me...haha. But yeah, those truckers definitely keep you entertained...for that reason alone, a CB would be useful to me over the next few months.

pick up a smallish magnetic mount, and put it on there when running down the interstate...

Take it off when your not to keep the cleaness of the vehicle :D

Back in the day (hold your thoughts punks) when cell phones were mounted in my truck, they put the cell antenna on the back window. Radio Shack had a CB antenna that mounted the same way and that's what I had to balance out the cell. It wasn't a great antenna, but it was adequate.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
pick up a smallish magnetic mount, and put it on there when running down the interstate...

Take it off when your not to keep the cleaness of the vehicle :D

Good point

Back in the day (hold your thoughts punks) when cell phones were mounted in my truck, they put the cell antenna on the back window. Radio Shack had a CB antenna that mounted the same way and that's what I had to balance out the cell. It wasn't a great antenna, but it was adequate.

That's exactly what I was thinking about when I asked...I figured by now there would be something of that size that would be able to keep up with reception requirements.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I probably wouldn't warn a trucker anyway...if they're doing something wrong, I'd want them busted.

OK, Mr. Law-Abiding Citizen :p...here's another example (OK, two).

-Month or so ago, I was driving down the interstate and got caught in a NASTY snow squall. Poor traction, worse visibility. Used the CB to find out how many more miles before I got out of the snow to make my decision about whether to get off the road and wait it out or push on through.

-Few years back I was rolling home late one night. Hardly any traffic. Somebody headed the other way reported a bad wreck about a mile in front of me, and said only the left lane (I was in the right) was passable. The cops hadn't showed up yet when I got there (saw blue lights flying up the other side of the highway just when I got there, so they were on their way), and if I hadn't had any warning, it would have been a lot harder to get slowed down and around the wrecked vehicles.

As to the antennas...it has to do with the wavelength at which the antennas transmit/receive. Bigger ones work better, and making them smaller makes them cost more...a 102" whip would probably work better than my Wilson 1000, and they cost maybe a third as much. Easier to tune, too.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
OK, Mr. Law-Abiding Citizen :p...here's another example (OK, two)..

Well I do try to follow da rulez...doesn't always work though'peace'

-Month or so ago, I was driving down the interstate and got caught in a NASTY snow squall. Poor traction, worse visibility. Used the CB to find out how many more miles before I got out of the snow to make my decision about whether to get off the road and wait it out or push on through..

Point taken...but I always figured that's what the weather channel or radio were for...and if you're one of those folks who like cell phones...some of those have weather updates. But I understand, unexpected storms...word straight from the horse's mouth...I get it.

-Few years back I was rolling home late one night. Hardly any traffic. Somebody headed the other way reported a bad wreck about a mile in front of me, and said only the left lane (I was in the right) was passable. The cops hadn't showed up yet when I got there (saw blue lights flying up the other side of the highway just when I got there, so they were on their way), and if I hadn't had any warning, it would have been a lot harder to get slowed down and around the wrecked vehicles..

Another good point...but how often does that really happen. Usually in my area, within 3 minutes of a wreck, it's broadcasted on the radio.

As to the antennas...it has to do with the wavelength at which the antennas transmit/receive. Bigger ones work better, and making them smaller makes them cost more...a 102" whip would probably work better than my Wilson 1000, and they cost maybe a third as much. Easier to tune, too.

I figured they'd cost more...but for me, I don't like big antennas. So if I were ever to go back to CB's again, I'd want it as unnoticeable as possible.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Point taken...but I always figured that's what the weather channel or radio were for...and if you're one of those folks who like cell phones...some of those have weather updates. But I understand, unexpected storms...word straight from the horse's mouth...I get it.
Snow squalls can come up quick, move out fast, and don't cover a big area. Waiting on the radio/internet/phone updates is not really practical when you go from clear roads to blinding blizzard within a couple miles...and the other end is just as sudden. Nowhere I've ever seen (internet, TV, or otherwise) has the real-time info I wanted that night.

UTfball68 said:
Another good point...but how often does that really happen. Usually in my area, within 3 minutes of a wreck, it's broadcasted on the radio.
I was there probably within 3 minutes of the wreck, and it was in a rural area. Doubt that wreck ever made the radio, but no way it would have before I got there. Remember- I was passed it before the cops showed up. And hey- how many times does it HAVE to happen before it's worth it? Probably I would have been fine without the radio that night...but it would have been dangerously close, being as dark as it, and looking at the greasy side of a rolled over SUV in the middle of the road.

UTfball68 said:
I figured they'd cost more...but for me, I don't like big antennas. So if I were ever to go back to CB's again, I'd want it as unnoticeable as possible.
You'll notice I did pay the extra to not have the 102"...all a matter of what you want and what you're willing to pay for it. I think the 39" whip looks pretty good on my truck...but that's just me.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
CB looks great Chris.

You sure have grown up recently.
Went 4 wheeling
Drank beer
Installed a cb

Pretty soon, you'll be eating hot pockets and watching nascar, just like the rest of us. :D

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
CB looks great Chris.

You sure have grown up recently.
Went 4 wheeling
Drank beer
Installed a cb

Pretty soon, you'll be eating hot pockets and watching nascar, just like the rest of us. :D

Looks like I've become less of a man lately. Don't go wheeling hardly ever anymore, hardly ever drink, no more CB, eat hot pockets all the time though, and rarely watch NASCAR anymore. I think I'm going through MANopause.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Maybe so Ben, but you'd make one ugly woman. :p

Actually have pics on Halloween (alright you got me I do it all the time)...don't make me bust them out.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts