Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

CB Radio Mounted and Wired!

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I make it just a hair under 5" in diameter. Looks closer to 4.5" in the pic, but when I was standing out there I thought 5...I'm gonna go remeasure. This antenna is a little under a year old.

The 62" whip is supposed to be easier to tune than the short load (39" I believe) that I've got...you probably know this, too, but you'll be better off buying an SWR meter (the Radio Shack model I have is supposed to be decent for a low-budget one- about $40 a couple years back, I think) than using the one built into the radio for tuning your antenna.
Yeah my brother had a radio shack SWR meter that he let me borrow. I'll probably tune it with the built-in controls then fine tune it with the SWR meter.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Hey Ian, on that note... I was thinking of going down and grabbing a cheap PA just so I could play with the radio until the antenna comes. If there is no antenna attached, in PA mode, and you key up... The signal goes straight to the speaker and doesn't get transmitted over the CB? As in-- no damage done if I key up the PA with no antenna attached?

That is my understanding, yes. Totally different output from the radio.

*I'm not sure, to be honest, that I've ever used my PA without the antenna on there to test that theory, though, and I'm sure not an electrical expert, so...take that with a grain of salt.

**When you're buying your PA, make sure the wire is long enough. The one I ended up with is a cheap truck stop model that is completely satisfactory except that the wire isn't quite long enough to go from the radio to where I wanted to put it. Works fine where it is, but I found a more out of the way place it would've fit if the wire was 2' longer.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Remeasure splits the difference- my final answer is 4.75"...

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Seriously? I bought mine at a truck stop for $18.

x2

My brother's all-weather PA from radio shack was around $20. That's what I was planning on buying.

Well....the ones i saw at Radio Shack and online where....and thats really the only place I'v looked. I may try to stop and get one at a truck stop (they probably sell SWR meters to) one day this week then if their that cheap.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
That's the one I have. Works fine for me.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Daggon this thread grew fast...Anyway, looks good Chris, one helluva gf you got there. Did she pick it out, or did you tell her which one to get?

I do have a question though...I realize you said you were gonna use the CB when offroad...but wouldn't a phone accomplish the same thing? Or do you go out too far for cell signal? Not trying to burst your bubble, but I always wondered why folks these days had an interest in CB's...and remote locations is the only reason I can come up with. Others?

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Last edited:

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
I always wondered why folks these days had an interest in CB's...and remote locations is the only reason I can come up with. Others?

1. because their cool
2. because you can get traffic/weather
3. because they are cheaper than cell phones
4. you can hook up a PA
5. they are good for hours of entertainment if you find a couple of idiots goofin' off on them.

That enough? or you need more reasons.... :D

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I do have a question though...I realize you said you were gonna use the CB when offroad...but wouldn't a phone accomplish the same thing? Or do you go out too far for cell signal? Not trying to burst your bubble, but I always wondered why folks these days had an interest in CB's...and remote locations is the only reason I can come up with. Others?

I don't offroad...but when was the last time you had the phone number of the semi rolling up the other side of the interstate to call and warn him DOT was sitting in the middle a couple miles back watching his side?

*Guessing, for off-road purposes...being able to talk to everybody, at the touch of a single button, is easier than calling people one by one.

Also, I HATE cell phones. CBs, not so much.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
My parents were like that too Tyler.

However, most places, if you talk to the right people, will accept money orders, so get yourself a book of stamps and $0.90 for the money order fee and go at it...

Worked for me...

EDIT: In keeping with the topic, here's my CB - http://cbradiomagazine.com/Radio%20Reviews/Radio%20Shack%20TRC-514/P1010012%20(Small).JPG

RadioShack TRC-514 CB Radio. Works pretty well...

That ain't a bad idea! I might do that... :D

And here's my radio... (Uniden PRO 520e)

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s71/countryboy13_2007/100_2951-1.jpg

antenna...(cheap $10 walmart antenna))

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s71/countryboy13_2007/100_2957.jpg

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
1. because their cool
2. because you can get traffic/weather
3. because they are cheaper than cell phones
4. you can hook up a PA
5. they are good for hours of entertainment if you find a couple of idiots goofin' off on them.

That enough? or you need more reasons.... :D

1) Agreed
2) ok, could still use a cell phone...or watch the weather channel
3) Don't most folks already have cell phones?
4) been there done that, with an old unit my dad had...make sure you KNOW who you're talking to, or it can result in some hefty fines and tickets.
5) same can be said for a cell phone.

Like I said, I think they're cool, and not trying to burst a bubble...just didn't really know why/if it's really necessary.

I don't offroad...but when was the last time you had the phone number of the semi rolling up the other side of the interstate to call and warn him DOT was sitting in the middle a couple miles back watching his side?

*Guessing, for off-road purposes...being able to talk to everybody, at the touch of a single button, is easier than calling people one by one.

Also, I HATE cell phones. CBs, not so much.

I probably wouldn't warn a trucker anyway...if they're doing something wrong, I'd want them busted. I see the offroad reason...like I said, the only reeeeeeal reason I could come up with. Don't forget Ian...I hate cells as well.

Last edited:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Ben when you're traveling in a pack of 8-10 trucks, using cell phones to communicate would be ridiculous. You'd have to dial 10 numbers every time you want to tell someone that you just got stuck (which happens quite often)... That means drilling through your phonebook to find the number, dialing, waiting for it to ring, greeting them, giving them the message, then saying "bye". Now repeat 9 more times.

Versus saying it ONCE for everyone to hear. Or say I just broke down at the rear of the pack and I need a flathead screwdrive... CB: "Does anyone have a flathead screwdriver?" Versus having to call several people before I find someone who has it. When you're off-road, there is NO replacement for a good CB. Other than that, I dunno if there's a REAL good reason to have one. Hence why I never really looked into it before I went on the snow trip. I would have been completely lost without one.

Oh and Trista did this whole thing on her own. I didn't even tell her I wanted one for my birthday-- she just overheard me talking about it I guess. She got in contact with a few of my friends so she knew which one was the right one.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts