Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Canopy project

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Ben....it is a good thing that you don't know where the 'cookie jar' of Ford parts are and you don't live close..:)....what are you needing? I have a good running 351/400 ???? not sure what is in there ...all I know is that it has about 40k on the rebuild...parts truck stored in the cookie jar...

Ehh...I don't really need anything, but it's becoming harder to find good parts because these trucks are still on the road. However, if that 351M/400 is up for parting, I could reeeeeeally use the thrust plate.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Put the glass and the back door on , and the front glass on.
0035.JPG

Played around with polishing the anodized aluminum trim around the rear glass
0023.JPG

What did you use to start polishing and is it ok to polish without stripping the anodized coating? I bought some Mibro to polish a little around my grill but haven't used it yet. I'm a little nervous and don't want to ruin it. I only have a few scratches on it and it's an original piece stamped from the factory. I may just take it in to a shop to have it redone if I can build up enough trust to do it.

What did you use to start polishing and is it ok to polish without stripping the anodized coating? I bought some Mibro to polish a little around my grill but haven't used it yet. I'm a little nervous and don't want to ruin it. I only have a few scratches on it and it's an original piece stamped from the factory. I may just take it in to a shop to have it redone if I can build up enough trust to do it.

The little bit that I did right there was done with #2 polishing compound and a Cotton wheel on a pneumatic die grinder, at a low speed.
I'm not sure but I think it took off the anodizing.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
The little bit that I did right there was done with #2 polishing compound and a Cotton wheel on a pneumatic die grinder, at a low speed.
I'm not sure but I think it took off the anodizing.

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of doing. The metal is so soft underneath, it would be a pain to try to maintain.

What exactly is the anodized parts of the trim?Is it like a clear or somethin?

"Anodizing, is an electrolytic passivation process used to increase the thickness of the natural oxide layer on the surface of metal parts. The process is called "anodizing" because the part to be treated forms the anode electrode of an electrical circuit."

[googled]

With reusing the old window seals , the corners were hard and the outside lip was folded under from age.
I cut out a piece of plywood the same shape as the window, heated up the rubber with a heat gun.
Then clamped the plywood under the lip to hold it up until it cooled.
It didn't take much heat to make it pliable , and it seamed to stay pliable after it cooled.

00110.JPG

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Cool project Mark.

Anodizing is pretty cheap and relatively foolproof (hard to screw up) Think more along the lines of industrial suppliers and platers than accessories vendors. There are all kinds of plating and anodizing applications. For the fellow that wants his grill redone, I would get it hard anodized, it will hold up much better to the abuse a grill takes. Colors for anodizing are pretty plentiful. Best of all its fairly cheap. (way cheaper than chrome)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts