Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

C6 rebuild

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Out of curiosity, why would you take a Haynes book over a Ford shop manual?

Because I don't have a Ford Shop Manual.

I needed a manual, the parts store had it in stock, and it worked.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Haynes makes a C4/C6/AOD Specific rebuild manual:

http://www.amazon.com/Ford-Automatic-Transmission-Overhaul-Manual/dp/1563924242

I picked up my copy at an Advance Auto.

Thanks man.

Hmmm...been a member over there since '07 and I don't think I've ever seen that thread. Again, thanks.

Out of curiosity, why would you take a Haynes book over a Ford shop manual?

If that was directed to me...I wouldn't. It was just that Justin had made mention of the Haynes manual, so when I popped mine open to have a looksee, I barely saw any transmission info.

This is why I had to rebuild my C4 (everything else actually looked fine, but I had it open so I went ahead and did the rebuild):

reverse-band.jpg

Once I removed the front pump bolts, I literally got to this point in 3-4 minutes...I think the most important part is keeping everything in order:

transmission.jpg

drums.jpg

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^You make it sound so simple.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Yeah seriously. I've only helped take apart one transmission on a Windstar and that did not look simple at all. But Maybe these transmissions are a lot easier.

I've been told by a bunch of old-timer trans guys that the C6 is one of the easiest transmissions to rebuild.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I bought my rebuilt C6 just under $600 from a place in Nebraska. Seems to work pretty well so far. The only mistake I made was I forgot to tell them I wanted a C6 with the NSS on it. Instead, I got one without.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
I bought my rebuilt C6 just under $600 from a place in Nebraska. Seems to work pretty well so far. The only mistake I made was I forgot to tell them I wanted a C6 with the NSS on it. Instead, I got one without.

That was rebuilt?

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
look what time I posted that (and this). I was out of it... that isn't a bad deal at all for a trans though.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Alright fellas...here's the deal:

Last week shifts were erratic and sluggish fro 1-2 and 2-3 and at WOT downshifts. And it got progressively worse the hotter the trans got.

This weekend I pulled the modulator line and there was tranny fluid backed up to the vacuum tree. I replaced the modulator. I had a purple band on there, so I replaced it with a purple band (although I heard black bands were 'better'...but that's relative). So the new modulator is in there, aloooot of my vacuum issues seemed to go away. Now I have zero issues 1-2...BUT, as the tranny gets hotter, the 2-3 shift goes from great to sluggish and having to let of the gas some to get the 2-3 shift and WOT downshift.

That said...this modulator seems to be shifting a little later than the old one, it is adjustable...so that may contribute to part of the problem. So if I want the tranny to shift a tad earlier, which way do I go with the adjusting screw?

Beyond that, modulator aside, can anyone think of anything else that would cause my tranny to act like this? I didn't notice any kinks in the cooler lines, seems to be decent flow coming from the cooler lines and the fluid level is now perfect and a good color.

I had a yellow striped modulator (C4) and mine was adjustable.

I'd also try and adjust the bands (if you haven't already done so).

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts