Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

C6 rebuild

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hey fellas...just trying to get a number on what a C6 rebuild will cost. I've had several AOD's rebuilt ranging from $1-1400 and a couple E4OD's rebuilt in the the $12-1400 range. I know the C6 is about as simple of a rebuild as can be done, so I'm thinking under a grand should be reasonable.

While it's getting done is there anything in particular I should have revised/upgraded/done to it?

Most shops around here won't open up a trans for much less than a grand. Where are you getting $1200-1400 E4OD rebuilds at?

You'd be better off doing it yourself. It really isn't that bad. I rebuilt my C4 using the Haynes book in a day.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Most shops around here won't open up a trans for much less than a grand. Where are you getting $1200-1400 E4OD rebuilds at?

You'd be better off doing it yourself. It really isn't that bad. I rebuilt my C4 using the Haynes book in a day.

Local tranny shops aren't that expensive around here...that being said I haven't felt a tranny I've gotten back has been quite 'right'.

Shops around here usually run less than 800 here for a C6 rebuild...times 2 on the easy aspect......I'd give it a shot Ben!

If I can find a junked C6 and crack it open to see what I'm dealing with...I might give it a shot.

Anyone have any suggestions on a parts supplier? For some reason, $400 in parts seems to be sticking in my mind.

I have a link at home I'll post. I did my C4 for about $250...included a new TC and the haynes book.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^Appreciate that man, that would be great.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Thanks for the links guys...I'll check them out tomorrow when I have a little more time.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I had mine done for $750, but it was along with an engine rebuild also. Two years on the rebuild with no issues, yet, knock on cellulite.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
got an estimate for mine the other day at a local shop (pretty big name... sponsors local dirt track and stuff like that) and they wanted $400 to put new seals in it, and roughly $1000 to rebuild it.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
The more I'm reading the more I'm thinking I might potentially have a blown modulator...because the only issue is at shift points, when it starts getting hot. So I'll pull the line tonight and see if there's any fluid...inspect the line to the manifold tree, and just replace the modulator. So for $20 and a half hour, I think it'll be worth it.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I would definitely try that first Ben. I would also try rebuilding the trans. yourself if it is simple like everyone is saying. (I never rebuilt one) Since it isn't your only vehicle I would try to save the money. Would be a good learning experience and you better do a writeup on this one!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
That could very well be your problem.

It would be nice. That being said...I just took a look in my Haynes manual, and the only thing it has on transmissions are band adjustments. Did you use the 73-79 manual or the tranny manual?

I would definitely try that first Ben. I would also try rebuilding the trans. yourself if it is simple like everyone is saying. (I never rebuilt one) Since it isn't your only vehicle I would try to save the money. Would be a good learning experience and you better do a writeup on this one!

Yeah...I might give it a shot, worst case scenario, I screw up and still bring it to a shop.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
73-79 Shop manual has the procedure in it Ben.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
73-79 Shop manual has the procedure in it Ben.

Where the hell at?????? I'm looking at section 7B and all it's showing is info on band adjustments. It's about 3 pages long and then goes to section 7C on tcase rebuilds...and that is pretty in depth. Regardless, I have the shop manuals, it was just Justin made mention of the Haynes.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Section 8...and Haynes manuals are good for such things as a door stop, fire starter, packing material after you have shredded it..:D..I could go on..:D

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts