Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Austin's 1990 F-Superduty Build Thread

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
You got the bed on the truck but managed not to get a pic????

Ryan

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
If the bed is on blocks how is it on the truck?

On blocks on the truck... I had a hell of a time getting guys to help put it on, but I still need some little things on the frame and around the fuel tanks. So I put it on blocks so I could work on it and pull them out myself.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
On blocks on the truck... I had a hell of a time getting guys to help put it on, but I still need some little things on the frame and around the fuel tanks. So I put it on blocks so I could work on it and pull them out myself.

Why did you Donk the BED?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I say you stop all work on the rig and sell it to that guy offering 5k your dad has lined up for you. Sure it's a cool truck, but you yourself have said it was impractical on a few occassions and have been willing to barter it out and looking for something that better suits your needs. Sell the sploder at the same time and get yourself a nice 7k rig.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
I say you stop all work on the rig and sell it to that guy offering 5k your dad has lined up for you. Sure it's a cool truck, but you yourself have said it was impractical on a few occassions and have been willing to barter it out and looking for something that better suits your needs. Sell the sploder at the same time and get yourself a nice 7k rig.

Ben No one has a Donk Dually Truck with massive 50 in wheels.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Ben No one has a Donk Dually Truck with massive 50 in wheels.

There's a reason for that...and if someone wants to give him 5k for it, eat while the eatin is good.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I must have missed something, but if someone is willing to give you $5k, why the heck do you still have it???? [confused]

Sell it!

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA

Dad told me to finish everything up, so all work done will be stuff that just needs finishing from hence forward. I have a lead on a family owned F-150 XLT en trade for the sloder... we'll see how that goes. If I take that and nix the F-SD, I'll either bank the 5K or throw some of it into the XLT.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^Year on the 150 XLT???? I'm not exactly sure trading one couple thousand dollar vehicle for another is the right move. IMO, you'd just be swapping potential headaches.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
^^^Year on the 150 XLT???? I'm not exactly sure trading one couple thousand dollar vehicle for another is the right move. IMO, you'd just be swapping potential headaches.

88, and I thought about the whole trading headache for headache... I'm going to look i tover and see if it is worth my time.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Now I hope this approach is considered tactful and it's not considered picking on you, but...I say wash your hands of it man. You keep buying stop gap vehicle after stop gap vehicle. You keep saying you're gonna hold on to XYZ until ABC comes along. Stop playing games, get the fundage you need and buy something that not only fulfills your needs and wants, which you should be able to do with your projected capital. Not to mention, I know what it's like being hours away from home, having a vehicle you're not sure if it'll make it or if this trip will be the trip your high mile engine decides to fail you...it ain't fun. And before you're in a scramble trying to find another stop gap vehicle and you're rendered a useless/worthless vehicle right before or while you're at school, have a little forethough and find something at a comfortable pace for you. Obviously, do what you want, these are just my experiences and opinions...but if it were me, I'd stop wasting time and find myself a rig I would think that could last the next few years. If that eats up all your fundage, so be it, if you can find a 3k rig, pocket the rest.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
^^^ very tactful; I like the input.

So grab a 5-7k rig and pocket the difference. Who knows, I might be able to get something through the dealer auctions...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^Don't let me convince you in to doing something you're not comfortable doing, but yeah, if the funds are there...that's the route I'd go. There were several times when the old 351M was giving me troubles in the Bronco where I tried picking up something else, but deals fell through and I made due with what I had. Trust me, if I didn't have to, I wouldn't have. Also keep in mind, this isn't the most financially prudent advice, but I've been there and done that, and know how I wished it would have been different.

Also keep in mind, I started going to UT with an 87 Bronco with less than 150k on it...I fried 2 AOD's. Then I brought thunder up there with just south of 200k on her, spun a bearing. Then I bounced through a couple other vehicles (94 tbird, 97 caddy, etc.) before I landed the Bronco...so it's not exactly like I was driving garbage vehicles.

Last edited:

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I just got used to having a dedicated toy that, at the end of the day, if it's not road worthy I just jump in the DD. That's the only thing that I'm uncomfortable with.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^Shoot you want a toy, by a civic as a commuter and buy one of those couple thousand dollar Florida mud trucks.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
^^^Shoot you want a toy, by a civic as a commuter and buy one of those couple thousand dollar Florida mud trucks.

Thought about something like that. Nice little civic that gets 30 mpgs and my big truck that I can park the car under!

I will say that my next truck will be a gasser, unless I can get into a PSD.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I dd'd Bailee's civic for a while when she was toying with a Yaris...and again when I was working in charlotte. It was a 97 4 banger 5 spd...I never saw worse that 36mpg's (except when I used Pilot gas).

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Can't say I'd go as far as a Yaris, but I could live with a Civic. Problem is, I'd be tempted to mod it as I go.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts