Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

and she is down once again

so the 77 ford 460 is now down again she started spitting and sputtering and wouldnt go over 20 i removed the valve covers and cranked her up and my #1 intake and #8 exhaust were not moving enough to open the valves at all two of my lifters are flat and it looks like the cam shaft is off cause it isnt lining up with the lifters and it warped the hell outta the lifter from #1 cylinder she is now being rebuilt

th_truck4.jpg

th_truck3.jpg

th_truck2.jpg

th_truck1.jpg

so the 77 ford 460 is now down again she started spitting and sputtering and wouldnt go over 20 i removed the valve covers and cranked her up and my #1 intake and #8 exhaust were not moving enough to open the valves at all two of my lifters are flat and it looks like the cam shaft is off cause it isnt lining up with the lifters and it warped the hell outta the lifter from #1 cylinder she is now being rebuilt

the cam doesn't line up, this is normal. Is this a new cam? Comp,maybe? I and a friend and many others have had the same problem. The cam manufacturer is going to blame it on brake in procedure. The motor does need to come apart and be thoroughly cleaned etc. Are you going to do the work yourself? Randy.

sounds to me like a stripped cam gear thus throwing every cylinder out of whack

yeah the guy i bought it from installed the comp cam and lifters and everyone kept thinking it was the timing till i found this stuff im gonna replace it all myself and from what i could see when i turned it over with the valve covers off those were the only two cylinders that werent working properly but thats what u get when u spend a grand on a truck ive anticipated problems but i was hoping to spend more money fixing her up rather than getting her running right

oh and the first thing im replacing is that 100 lbs of cast iron they call an intake manifold anyone have any idea of what brand i should go with and some help on a good cam would be nice to i dont wanna send mine in and wait around for them to say its not gonna be covered

oh and the first thing im replacing is that 100 lbs of cast iron they call an intake manifold anyone have any idea of what brand i should go with and some help on a good cam would be nice to i dont wanna send mine in and wait around for them to say its not gonna be covered

100 lbs is no joke, the stock intakes on these things are amazingly bulky lol. Most swear by Edelbrock on the aftermarkets, and I've used them on every truck but the one on my current truck is a Weiand Stealth and it's effing awesome :)

wiend or edelbrock performer

could my block be screwed as well since the cam is off that far i dont wanna tear it all down for nothing if i need to get a new engine anyways

so she is now torn down and my order has been placed with summit racing she is gonna get her a mild cam from lunati to get rid of that crazy cam from comp cams cam and the weiland stealth intake manifold all rew push rods and lifters and the heads are at the machine shop getting the exhaust ported as we speak im also thinking bout doing some work on the bottom end too im wondering what would be the standard bore fore some forged pistons or if i should just get the machine shop to measure it out and go from there will post more later on

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I'd actually let a machine shop check the block out. I went through 3 460 blocks in order to get a .030 over bore for my stroker pistons. Nothing appeared to be anything wrong with the other blocks, but when the machine shop started to bore down the cylinder walls they had to machine out more than I wanted unless I went with a 557 stroker which I would have but had the 521 kit already bought. Machine shops usually don't charge very much and and at least you will know what you have.

LEB Paul

I like Broncos

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts