Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

also stiff brakes

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
This is another thing ive been wondering. if its been raining and kinda cool and my truck has been sitting during this when i go out and start driving if i barely even touch my brakes it seems like half the time they lock up on me. idk if its just the brand of brake pads that when they get damp and cold they get hard as a rock or what but its rediculous. my old truck didnt do this and nobody elses does this that i know of. whats the issue?

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Mine grab like all get out when they get wet, but the pedal isn't hard.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Mine grab like all get out when they get wet, but the pedal isn't hard.

ok so im glad it aint Just me. i wonder why they do that. like in the mornings we have to play musical cars in my driveway for my parents to get out and ive left skid marks where the brakes grab so hard when i just slightly touch the brakes. and my pedal aint hard either.

oh no, others do it.. mine do it too.. almost put myself through the windshield the other morning.. once you drive for a mile it stops right?

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
With the torrential rains we get down here in the summer, it's common for roads to flood. Alot of times I'll drive through water and then have to ride the brakes for 50 to 100 ft to get them warm enough to work again. Probably not the best thing to do, but it's better than continuing with virtually no brakes.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
For safety purposes, when you have to move your truck in the morning for your parents, maybe you should do a nice long burnout first. :D

( Do not try this! :p)

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
You've got build up brake shoe dust in your rear (drum) brakes. Take the drums off and blow them out with compressed air. What happens is, the air gets moist and the dust gets saturated and clumps up-- this makes it grab until you drive it for a little bit and the clumps are able to dry up and break apart.

This was the case with our Econoline at work. Symptoms just like yours.

dontt do a buurnout.. burs the rear pads right of.... trust me... that was a baddd night,, heated up soo much they started to stick and wouldnt let go

You've got build up brake shoe dust in your rear (drum) brakes. Take the drums off and blow them out with compressed air. What happens is, the air gets moist and the dust gets saturated and clumps up-- this makes it grab until you drive it for a little bit and the clumps are able to dry up and break apart.

This was the case with our Econoline at work. Symptoms just like yours.

i did pull my drums off, clean as clean can be

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
UHHHHHHHHHHHHH.......... i might be needing to check my rear shoes then. cause when i had my old tires on i would sit and do burnouts all day. in the school parking lot which made it even funner.

I'll come out of lurk status and post my .02 for this. I had this same problem on my truck and my aerostar. For some reason the linings on cheaper brake shoes absorb moisture in the air (rain, really high humidity, etc.,.) and that causes the shoes to grab like there's no tomorrow until they get heated and dry up. After I switched to Wagner Thermoquiet brake shoes this problem has never come back. It's worth the extra few bucks to get them to eliminate this problem.

Watchdog7

Guarding the Gates
Mine does it too. =)

Watchdog7

Guarding the Gates
It's normal. Actually, your truck is supposed to do that.

Watchdog7

Guarding the Gates
Some kind of safety system. I don't know exactly. Like I said, it's supposed to do that. And yes Sir, it is very annoying. It can also be embarassing when it catches you off guard. =)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts