Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

A rant....

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
Speaking of low tires...spent 32 bucks (after my discount mind you)on a valve stem,with a sensor mounted on the inside for the wifes Gran Cherokee..she comes home the other day from work and says "Honey the low tire indicator is on"..lol..Another 15 bucks to have it installed....hmmmm wonder why im old school...lol

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
m78 said:
There's no way , all the plastic will eventually disintegrate. Even the engines have a bunch of plastic in them. Just like trash bags are made biodegradable.

Yup, agree with this.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
I drive a '01 Grand Marquis that's pushing 200,000 miles on it. I don't get too many comments, because I keep the thing looking like new. I do get comments like "you're going to wash the paint off of that thing." I like it as much as the day I bought it (9 years ago), everything works, it's dead-to-nuts reliable, and as I tell friends of mine:

1. At my age, I'm not gonna get any from some young cutie, no what kind of car I drive. And Mrs. Bear might object even if I did get "winning the lottery odds" lucky.

2. I've owned nice cars for a good portion of my life. It just isn't a priority anymore.

3. You do reach a certain age where the only person left to impress is yourself.

On a side note, the '95 F150 just went through DEQ (smog test) and got new tags. We've owned the truck for about 2 1/2 years, and it now has 220,000 miles on it. Meaning we've put about 55,000 on it since we bought it. Total repairs? A TPS for $29, a alternator rebuild kit for $65, and a set of brake pads (??). Doesn't get the greatest gas mileage, but is a daily commuter, spends about 1/2 it's time off-road, and does duty as a Search & Rescue support vehicle. This is the second F150 4X4 we've taken past 200,000 miles with minimal issues. Evereything works- air blows cold, heat hot, power accessories all work. Both trucks even still have(had) the original, crappy 4EOD transmission that everyone rags on.

Another side note: I bet my typical neighbor up here is shelling out more in car payments than I do for the house. And I bet they'd be shocked to know that.

Last edited:
I couldn't agree more with you working rig - this has been my philosophy for a long time and one that i have even spouted off about here as well - as far as i'm concerned paying a car off is just dead money ..... actually worse than that because as you pay it off the asset (strictly speaking a car isn't really an asset anyway unless it's considered a classic) is decreasing in value as well.

Fact :1 Old cars/trucks are cool

Fact :2 Old cars/trucks are cool

I mean lets face it if you have a choice of looking at a late model Mercury Cougar or an 1969 XR7 Cougar what are you going to do?
The one major drawback to driving older cars/trucks especially out here is that parts supply is rather hard at times so it pays to have a couple of parts cars laying under a tree or behind the garage.
Most of the comments i get about my truck aren't about it's age - they normally want to know what it is then they give me grief about fuel usage but the way i look at it is;

1. It only cost me $7500
2. After two years of driving/ownership i still smile :) everytime i twist the key
3. It has air,steer,pwr windows and door locks
4. If i had a late model with sync i'd drive my kids nuts trying to make it work.
5. It burns lots of gas but i'm not doing huge mileage in it now so it does'nt matter that much now.
6. It is just so comfortable to drive and much roomier that any of the Jap utes we have here.

smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I couldn't agree more with you working rig - this has been my philosophy for a long time and one that i have even spouted off about here as well - as far as i'm concerned paying a car off is just dead money ..... actually worse than that because as you pay it off the asset (strictly speaking a car isn't really an asset anyway unless it's considered a classic) is decreasing in value as well.

Fact :1 Old cars/trucks are cool

Fact :2 Old cars/trucks are cool

I mean lets face it if you have a choice of looking at a late model Mercury Cougar or an 1969 XR7 Cougar what are you going to do?
The one major drawback to driving older cars/trucks especially out here is that parts supply is rather hard at times so it pays to have a couple of parts cars laying under a tree or behind the garage.
Most of the comments i get about my truck aren't about it's age - they normally want to know what it is then they give me grief about fuel usage but the way i look at it is;

1. It only cost me $7500
2. After two years of driving/ownership i still smile :) everytime i twist the key
3. It has air,steer,pwr windows and door locks
4. If i had a late model with sync i'd drive my kids nuts trying to make it work.
5. It burns lots of gas but i'm not doing huge mileage in it now so it does'nt matter that much now.
6. It is just so comfortable to drive and much roomier that any of the Jap utes we have here.

smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo

YelloThumbUp

Fact: 3 Old cars/trucks are cool.

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
I guess for me also they have alot more character and you can never lose them in a parking lot :)

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I guess for me also they have alot more character and you can never lose them in a parking lot :)

That sums up the empty feeling I still have with the new car purchases I've made and the test drives I've been on. I've tried different cars across several manufacturers and even thought a new truck would fill the void. The new vehicles do offer some things that the older cars don't (or I simply don't want to put the effort into making the old girls comparable). Plain and simple, I am happiest when driving my dents, but they're just not practical or economical or as comfortable for my situation. I hit the car lots every few weeks (literally) just to try to find something that I don't have to force myself to drive, I really don't think it's out there, so I'm relegated to reminding myself that the car is purely for DD use and to drive in to the ground. The new stuff just has no character.

I agree with pretty much everything said here, I just cannot comprehend why someone would even consider buying a newer car, when you look at the restored classics they could get for the same price, and like you said only go up in value, I just think they are nuts. about 199 out of 200 times I have the oldest vehicle in the parking lot wherever I go, my truck is actually the newest thing I have, I also have a 68 Oldsmobile Delta 88, a 71 Harley Sportster and a 73 Honda cl125. As far as comments go, I mostly get compliments, especially on my car everybody always stares at it, sure I only get 8mpg on high test but it's worth it to me. Everybody seems to like the bikes too, people always want to buy the Honda. As far as the truck which I drive the most, I do get the occasional " I can't believe that thing still runs" or "Aren't you afraid it is just going to die". I just look at them like they are crazy which they are in my mind. As far as gas mileage in the truck I always say it only cost me $600, and I can buy a heck of a lot of gas for the extra $20,000 or whatever to buy a new Honda or something.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
"say no" needs to be removed and reprogrammed :D

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Not sure Doug, I have only used it on my Wife...:D

The wife and I decided to make a amatuer home video.....

All was going well until I auditioned women for her part.

:rofl:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I stole it from a joke....made me laugh though :D

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts