Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

A rant....

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
Some people....

I have drivin older vehicles pretty much my whole driving life, except for a couple, they have all been older then 1983....

Why is it that people automaticaly assume two things....

1- You are broke/poor/jobless and thats all you can afford.

2- That any vehicle older then 1990 is an absolute POS and should be avoided at all costs?

I get so sick of people i work with (mainly) badmouthing my truck and the fact that i wanna DD my LTD. First thing out of *this persons* mouth is "Oh, havin money troubles?".

NO i am not having money troubles, i am sick of having lights on, a 200 dollar payment plus damn near that much for insurance for a pretty much useless truck that i cant even STAND driving.

Thats Rant #1.

Rant #2...

Im at the gas station in my 77 and a guy was asking me about it (alot of people do), and we were talking and i told him i use it to pull my 30' camper...the next thing from his mouth is "im suprised that 70's piece of $#!* Can pull that much".

Im thinking WTF....who are you to stand there and insult my truck. I get similar comments all the time from certain ignorant people. I understand my truck is not a 2012 Superduty Dually with a 6.4L Diesel, engine brake, and whatever else kinda crap they pile on them nowadays, but it is still a capable truck that will do 99% of what most average people do with their pickups, and is still as capable (except for maybe gas mileage) as a comparable 2012 truck.

BTW the guy who insulted my truck drove a tundra.

But anyways, thanks for listing to me complain.

I understand my truck is not a 2012 Superduty Dually with a 6.4L Diesel, engine brake, and whatever else kinda crap they pile on them nowadays, but it is still a capable truck that will do 99% of what most average people do with their pickups, and is still as capable (except for maybe gas mileage) as a comparable 2012 truck.

Yup... no problem.:)
Oh.... the total age of my fleet of two daily drivers and one toy that could be a daily driver is 110 years. Truck 76 F-250... 37 years,
1985 IROC-Z... 27 years, and 1967 Meyers Manx that has been in the family since built... 46 years. Sorry Workin' Rig to hear that you get insulted for also driving old
vehicles. In California I also have people try to insult me usually in the truck at stoplights. The other day on my way to work it was a red Raptor that was looking to do that. He took-off with tires smoking and he pis*ed me off so I nailed it and caught up to him rather quickly. I do not think he will try me again.

Last edited:

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
I know what you mean Workin...I have learned over the yrs just to tune them out...we all have to live within our means and utilize our own resources to the best that we can...there will always be ignorance in the world and people will always misjudge us..Anymore i really dont care how others percieve me..I live life on my terms and if they dont like it...to bad.......

My 350 looks like a heap, and people think I must be crazy/destitute, whatev.... People that know me know I'm tight with money, like old stuff, and don't like waste. Ask that Tundra dude what his payment, insurance, and registration cost him, lol, wanna talk about money problems.

BTW, lights on you say? Like daytime running lights? I actually turn mine on all the time now, heard a statistic, you are 25% less likely to be involved in a serious head on collision when your ligths are on during the day.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
I know the feeling, look at my sig...

People look at my truck and make comments until they see me with a large payload on a trailer or I fire it up and let that big block sing. I prefer function over looks always have, rather it run like a champ and look like hell than be drop dead gorgeous and parked getting fixed all the time...

The Vic gets the, "couldn't afford anything better?" or, "why did you buy a POS cop car?" I tell them yes I can afford something more expensive but I've always liked Crown Vics, that they've always been a classy no BS car; and, tell them to show me any other car that has over 200hp, gets 25-30mpg on the highway, and cost less than $2000... they tend to see why.

I'd also rather spend my money making my rigs look and perform to my liking, can't do that with a $200+/mo payment...

Shrug it off, I always tell people they're just jellous...

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
Thats the thing....lol...i coulda got a newer truck, i could afford a nice (newer) truck, but i PREFER the old ones....there just better IMO.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
There are couple things that contribute to the mentality of the majority of modern car buyers/owners. Cars are status symbols and throw aways. status symbol is pretty easy, the bigger/badder/more expensive/more in your face it is...the better they feel about themselves. Realistically, the majority of these folks are what I call 'trailer park rich'...they're mortgaged to their eyeballs and have acquired enough debt to be able to pass it on to their kids when they die. It's nothing shy of a superiority complex. The 'throw away' crowd, are folks that have no attachment to their vehicle and perpetually trade in and get new every few years.

If I can borrow 'that jeep thing'...most folks just don't understand the thrill and feel of driving the old steel.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
My old boss trades in his truck every year. He always makes fun of my old truck, but I pay him no mind. One year he told me I should just take over the payments on the one he was trading in.

I ask him how much are the payments, was told $500 per month for 4 more years!
I burst his bubble when I told him, "that's what I paid for this truck, $500, and it does everything your truck does"
Then added I've been driving that same truck for 11 years.

He never says anything about my truck anymore.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Had a few guys over the years say something about my old junk heaps.
When they broke down or were stuck who got the call to come help or pull them out in the old junk heap.
One guy always razed me about my 77 till he rode in it one day. Was taking him to the garage to get his new truck that had broken down. Garage was about to close and I ask him if he wanted to get there on time.
I floored it. He was amazed by the power the old iron had. I then invited him to a trail run and ended up pulling him almost the entire run on a tow strap. He never said a word about my old JUNK Heap after that.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Had a few guys over the years say something about my old junk heaps.
When they broke down or were stuck who got the call to come help or pull them out in the old junk heap.
One guy always razed me about my 77 till he rode in it one day. Was taking him to the garage to get his new truck that had broken down. Garage was about to close and I ask him if he wanted to get there on time.
I floored it. He was amazed by the power the old iron had. I then invited him to a trail run and ended up pulling him almost the entire run on a tow strap. He never said a word about my old JUNK Heap after that.

smilieFordlogo YelloThumbUp

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
Hi Work'in Rig, I had a post a while back on the sh_tty stares I would get on the farm with the people and there "toy's". I know exactly how you feel, look at my truck :) big, old and ORANGE!! I just rev it up when I get the "huggers" beside me, funny how "they" expect your truck to burn blue just because it's old,

What Ever, our trucks have proved themselves, enough said!!

BUCKEYE BOB

Florida Chapter member
I hava 51 F1 with a 302 & aod--I also have a 53 Merc convertible with a
5.0 & aod both have a/c people cant believe that i drive something that old &
they tell me that those things never had a/c in them i just laugh & tell them
that there is a lot of other goodies under the hood that it never came with either & not only that but that thing you drive just goes down in value & mine just goes up
goes up

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
There are couple things that contribute to the mentality of the majority of modern car buyers/owners. Cars are status symbols and throw aways. status symbol is pretty easy, the bigger/badder/more expensive/more in your face it is...the better they feel about themselves. Realistically, the majority of these folks are what I call 'trailer park rich'...they're mortgaged to their eyeballs and have acquired enough debt to be able to pass it on to their kids when they die. It's nothing shy of a superiority complex. The 'throw away' crowd, are folks that have no attachment to their vehicle and perpetually trade in and get new every few years.

If I can borrow 'that jeep thing'...most folks just don't understand the thrill and feel of driving the old steel.

Well said Ben.....For it is folks like us that keep the classics alive..."They" are trying to get them off the road....It is imperative that we preserve our dreams and history of the classics we love so well.......

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Ya know, more often if I have a low tire I'll swing into the tire shop and have them check it, then they air it up... if I have a low tire there's usually a reason...

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
Most of those people who make fun of us driving the old steel can't even air up their own tires and would pay someone just to hang up a picture.

Gave you reps for that one!

I would seriously be intrested to see if 30-40 yrs from now theres as many 2012-2013 Vehicles (lets say pickups from Ford and Chevy) as there is 60's-70's ones now....espically ones actually being used...

Gave you reps for that one!

I would seriously be intrested to see if 30-40 yrs from now theres as many 2012-2013 Vehicles (lets say pickups from Ford and Chevy) as there is 60's-70's ones now....espically ones actually being used...

There's no way , all the plastic will eventually disintegrate. Even the engines have a bunch of plastic in them. Just like trash bags are made biodegradable.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
I drive my 87 Suburban all the time... It keeps up with all the $500/mo new trucks everybody drives and doesn't cost me a thing... Luckily a lot of people actually appreciate what I've done to it...

X2 on people with new vehicles not even knowing how to air up their own tires... Pays to know a little about your vehicle, something us guys with older trucks are good with...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts