Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

79 Bronco build discussion...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Alright fellas...at this point, it's all talk, and probably a long term project, but I'm sick of the Bronco nickel and diming me to death. So I'm just looking for thoughts and suggestions on what you, the FTF community, would do with my Bronco. Be that a resto-mod, seeing as it's really not in that bad of shape to full blown wheeler. I always planned on it being a trail/expedition rig, but other things happened and it turned more into a DD weekend warrior. Here are my plans...

-60/70 swap with 4.88's or 5.13's with selectables front and rear
-6" Deavers at all 4 corners, with something of the 38-40" tire flavor
-Potential doubler
-C6 currently needs a rebuild
-400 is solid for the time being, but I do feel a 460 swap is in the future
-Interior cage
-Air supply
-Even though it will primarily be off the streets, I would like to do a little body work and do a coat of fresh dk brown metallic, heavy on the metallic.

-Since I'm new to the whole expedition game, I'd assume provisions for storage of gear (tools/recovery), supplies (fluids, fuel, water, food), etc. will need to be included.

And of course the accompanying details with each mod, like things that either need to be lengthened or shortened or strengthened, etc.

Other thing I'd like, is to be able to drive to my destination, do what I have to, then drive home. I'd like the reliability to drive cross country if need be.

That all said, feel free to add to my list, create your own, tell me I'm stupid for thinking about this list, yadda yadda yadda. Lemme know what you would do.

Last edited:

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
When it comes to the engine, I would stick with the 400 over the 460. (just because you said its already good to go) If you decide to do a 460 build/swap, would go with a near stock rebuild, not a build for big power numbers. Fuel economy will be important, and remember that more power equals more stress on parts. Those are my thoughts if you want reliability.

FYI, I have both a 460 and a 300 I could put in my Bronco. I am going with the 300. I think our projects will fit into the same intended use, it will be neat to see how they play out.

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^Yeah...it should be interesting. I wasn't thinking big power, just something in the 3-400hp range. Only reason I would consider a 460 is if this 400 goes out on me...and because I tend to gravitate to the mud...so I was thinking about keeping the options open...but then it wouldn't really be an expedition rig. I'm thinking the toughest and most expensive part will be sourcing and building the axles. I haven't come across very many 70's and the 60's seem to be varying wildly in price lately. And I'm not comfortable installing gears, but I have a buddy that should be willing to install for some JD and a case of beer.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
See, and I hate "mud boggin" I don't need high RPMs for what I do. A nice 300 with its low end torque and 4 speed gearing will let me go where I need to go. I will only be running 37s with no lift and I have 4.56s front and rear along with a detroit for the rear. I am planning on welding the front, and leaving one hub unlocked until I really need all 4 wheels grabbing.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Big questions I have...suggestions on lockers?

And what about winches? Front AND rear? Rule of thumb is 2x's dead weight. Is warn the only way to go? I heard smittybilt is a good 'discount' winch.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
If it was solely for trails, I would do detroit lockers at both ends....as far as the winch goes I would put a 16.5k at either end. I'd also stick with the 400...lighter and lots of torque...I would also look at different axle shafts as well.
Edit...as far as a "budget" winch...you'll be pissed the first time you need to use it and it craps out...seen lots of guys with quads go that route and it bites them in the rear..I also think that will apply to anything that you consider doing to it...spend the extra the first time around.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^Yeah yeah...cry once. Thanks for the input.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Its a whole lot cheaper to just weld the front diff. If you then leave one hub unlocked, it works like an open dif.

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
Speaking of winches, just put a tow package on the front and get a receiver cradle for your winch, that way you can swap front/rear without having to buy 2. And yes Warn is pretty much the only way to go. (unless you wanna be a badass and setup a PTO :D )

One suggestion of a mod for any recovery / expedition rig that I did in my Ford and used the piss out of is hard wire an industrial inverter and mount it under the seat with a power strip accessible..i cant tell you how many times i had to run lights, air, etc. off that

As for the Dana 60/70 youd be better off doing a 60/10.25 seeing as how sterlings are a dime a dozen.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
The only downside to a PTO winch is that your truck has to be running.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
There was an article posted here about converting a the leaf sprung 60 to coil sprung, I can't find it. Does anybody know of the article I'm talking about, or have a link to it?

Axles 60/ 10.25 or 14b corporate shaved; ARB or one side unlocked like Josh said

Keep the 400 till it lets go, and have the 460 sitin on the side.

C6 with GV unit.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Outside of availability, what are pro's that the 10.25 has over a 70? And I thought the 10.25 had pinion issues as well as needed some housing webbing/bracing?

As for the inverter, that's an awesome idea, how big did you go? As I've mentioned before, wiring/electronics isn't my forte, so I have to ask about difficulty level.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

Possum

Georgia Chapter member
Talkin bout winches, Ramsey makes a good winch, but I think the price range is right there around a warn......................... sssooOooOoo................... from what I just read that I just wrote, this comment is useless

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hey Possum...Look at the upper right hand corner of my post, where it says posts...you see that number, I'd say the majority of that number is useless...so no worries bud.

Anyway...I think I've decided if I'm gonna do this, do it right. I still haven't decided on a sterling or 70 in the rear yet, but definitely a 60 up front outfitted appropriately. Stronger/bigger yokes and driveshafts. Ox u-joints where applicable. I think I'd like a fixed winch up front and winch fixed to a recpetical to be used in the rear and recepticals on each side. Again, the 400 is just fine. The trans is slated for a rebuild in the near future...the t-case could use a rebuild as well. Then finally some 6" Deavers and 38-40" Swampers would be nice. Then with some interior re-arranging I think it would be ready. I don't think it'll be difficult at all to get it to that point...but probably take 10k to morph it into that...and that'll be the limiting factor.

Hey Dennis...you can kiss one of those two mirrors as well...hahahaha.

For cargo, I've always liked the look of the cargo rack on the roof with an external roll cage tying it all together. After adding all that weight it would take a few guys to help take the top off. And a nice 8" rear tube bumper for an air tank.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts