Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

79 Bronco build discussion...

Ben I haven't looked in a mirror in at least 2 weeks let along kiss one.

Since I last shaved...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
For cargo, I've always liked the look of the cargo rack on the roof with an external roll cage tying it all together. After adding all that weight it would take a few guys to help take the top off. And a nice 8" rear tube bumper for an air tank.

The issue with the roof/cargo racks for Broncos is the amount of weight on the fiberglass topper. I've read you should probably top out at 250lbs. So figure weight of the rack and whatever gear you pile on, you could easily exceed that limit...then factor in any flex in the while offroad and the affects of the added weight and stress. But I agree, a roof rack would be nice and is darn near essential for expedition rigs.

As for the exo-cage, if it was a dedicated wheeler, I'd agree. While my plans are to maximize offroad usage with the rig, I'd still like dd functionality. JBG has a cage that I think I'll use as a template and just exploit my buddy's talents as a welder.

While I'm not a fan of tube bumpers...I was wondering why I don't see the typical 'plate' style bumpers plumbed to hold air? Sure you sacrifice some air space, but something is better than nothing, and there is still alot of air capacity to use there.

What about a internal cage in the top that ties into the cargo rack to support the weight. I agree on the rear bumper as well, for me the tube would be easy to make so that's why I would compromise. How much air pressure would be ideal?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
All good questions and statements...to which I do not have an answer to. I'd imagine ideal psi would be south of 150 though.

Ben, as far as lockers go, ARB is by far the most popular, and for a reason. The ability to unlock them is great. You have to have an air source to run them, but an expedition rig needs air anyway. Another option is the OxLocker. Same idea as ARB but activated by a cable that you pull in the cab. The downside to me is they don't make one for the Ford 9", which shouldn't matter for what your doing. Google them, I'm not sure what they do make them for. I keep pointing to selectable if you want to drive it on the highway at all, fully locked is hard on tires and drivability sucks on pavement, really bad on slick roads (but not impossible).

A good option for a winch is Warns newest, it has an air comp. built into it, which kills two birds with one stone. The reciever hitch is a killer idea, only needing one winch saves some money in the build.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
10.25 is pretty bullet proof i would need to do some looking but i know it has a weakness that wouldnt be to hard to over come. My mind has been focused on the car alot lately so i gotta dig deep to bring back the 4x4 info...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Thanks for the info fellas.

10.25 is pretty bullet proof i would need to do some looking but i know it has a weakness that wouldnt be to hard to over come. My mind has been focused on the car alot lately so i gotta dig deep to bring back the 4x4 info...

IIRC its just the axle tubes need to be welded..

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Next issue I've been toiling with are e-fans. I know I haven't been a supporter in the past, and I know I'm running around shroudless, but the few times I've romped through the sand or mud or even a trail ride, the heat gets excessive, and I just don't think a shroud will eliminate as much as I'm seeing. I know there have been some heated debates on this topic in the passed, but I figure a trip to the junkyard and $100 it's worth trying at least, and if I don't like it...I can always go back. From my understanding the Mark VIII setup is the crown jewel, while the Taurus fans come in a solid second, and if space is an issue, Countour fans fit the bill nicely as well.

If you have the room set up Duel Taurus fans, on high thats close to 20k cfm; Just have to have an alt and battery that it won't kill on start up...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I was plotting a 3g upgrade...and I figure my MC 880cca would be enough. As for 20kcfm...seriously????? I was think it would be more around the 12-15k cfm range...which I would have been ecstatic with.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yeah...I had though I had seen numbers that stated 3400-4000cfm per fan on low and high could potentially be double.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Yes, thats what it was axle tubes need to be welded, and i think there could be a potential problem with the yoke, but i could be thinking of something else. Seems like it either wasnt a big deal for what i wanted to do with it. Cause i have no notations of it anywhere. Axle tubes being welded made the pages of my notebook...

Ben, Go efan. If your goin through high water or deep mud, you can simply shut em off so you dont sling mud or water up into the top of the engine for your intake to suck in...

That is honestly the only real reason i would suggest the swap.

The debate about cooling vs mechanical fans can go on for ages.
Oh and you will be freeing up just a tiny bit of power too...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Just curious as to whether you guys would suggest a York set up or separate unit for OBA. I think I'm leaning towards a separate unit at this time, only drawback is potential space restrictions.

I'm also curious as to whether you guys think a solar panel would be enough to charge/maintain the powersource for a stand alone OBA setup. If so, dimensions? What I need to know for selection? Or solar panel is a bad idea for a trail rig? Only reason I ask about a solar panel is because I've had a small one as a trickle charge for Red, that I was given, for about a year that I've been please with.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
To run a compressor from a solar panel is not really practical...however a few panels connected to a charge controller and then to an AGM would work...but you are into big bucks. You would be better of IMO to pick up a 1KW inverter generator (very small, very quiet, very efficient) with a 12V charge output.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Im not up to snuff on oba systems, but ive seen a few that seemed pretty legit.

I can dig up some info if you would like, i think there in some old petersons mags somewhere...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Thanks for the info Duncan.

Don...I won't turn any knowledge away. I've done some decent research on OBA setups, but the appeal of the york being underhood keeps drawing me in...and best part about it, I have most the parts for it already. However, things like the vehicle having to run to use it, parasitic loss, etc. I think I was more or less fishing for a confirmation not to go with a york set up.

Ford Truck Articles