Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

79 250 Upgrades

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
The Ford logo on the ends is a nice touch.

Sent from my not so smart phone.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I would take a look at the lower front portion of the engine, just above the oil pan. Leak could be the front main bearing seal, the oil pan, the spot where the dipstick tube fits into the oil pan(since that is a metal to metal seal), the fuel pump mounting, or a power steering pump leak. Those are hard to trace, since the fan tends to blow the oil backwards along the engine.

Looks like your retaining bracket for the dipstick tube is broken also. If you get a lot of movement on the dipstick tube, then you might be weeping oil out of the tube connection to the oil pan.

If it is that....does that need to be welded?

Will check more closely tomorrow. ... thanks.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Can probably be tack welded(I'm not a welder).

It is very hard to say where the leak is coming from, but there are areas that can be checked, like the dipstick tube connection, etc, etc.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I would take a look at the lower front portion of the engine, just above the oil pan. Leak could be the front main bearing seal, the oil pan, the spot where the dipstick tube fits into the oil pan(since that is a metal to metal seal), the fuel pump mounting, or a power steering pump leak. Those are hard to trace, since the fan tends to blow the oil backwards along the engine.

Pft....you guys are pretty darn good mechanics....Doug, your diagnosis was pretty much what the mechanic said this morning after crawling underneath it.....he said he'll know more when it's up on the lift.

I drove it to him early this morning to have him look at the rear leafs to see what he'll need to order to lift the back up....he said from the looks of it, we'll need to lift it a minimum of 2-3 inches. Pretty wild.

Anyways, he said some of the leakage was transfer case fluid so he'll check there and just like you said Doug, he said with the blow back, it's hard to tell, but there was definitely some oil coming from the oil filter itself.....what would cause that? Not tightened enough? Bad filter? Anyways, he's doing the fluid changes as well (the synthetic with a detergent run through first).

He checked the rear main seal and said it didn't look like it was coming from there and that it was too small a leak to really know for sure....he'll clean up that part of the underneath, change the fluids, reseal the transfer case, then run it for a little bit on the lift to see where anymore might come out if any.

HE DID SAY THAT THE GUY WHO RESTORED IT, RESTORED IT RIGHT AND DID A NICE JOB.....that made me happy! Especially coming from a guy who does restorations.

Can't wait to see the lifted bed when it's done....will post before and afters.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Good deal. I hope it's something simple. Sounds like you got a pretty good truck. Post pictures of the before and after leaf spring change.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Ken, about the oil filter, it just might be loose. BUT, 1/4 to 1/2 turn after contact with the seal should be more than adequate.

Might also be something on the face of the mounting surface for the filter. Something I found out a few years ago is that the Motorcraft filters seem to have a harder rubber seal on the filter, so they need to be turned a little tighter. Another 1/4 turn on the filter sealed the filter. I've been using Wix filters, since that is the only filter of substance that I can get locally.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Good deal. I hope it's something simple. Sounds like you got a pretty good truck. Post pictures of the before and after leaf spring change.

Will do.....looks like it's going in in 2 weeks. Man, did this thing get a ton of looks when I drove it through town....similar amount of attention my 77 got.

I had a lady scream out: "Hey, Nice truck, man!"

Ken, about the oil filter, it just might be loose. BUT, 1/4 to 1/2 turn after contact with the seal should be more than adequate.

Might also be something on the face of the mounting surface for the filter. Something I found out a few years ago is that the Motorcraft filters seem to have a harder rubber seal on the filter, so they need to be turned a little tighter. Another 1/4 turn on the filter sealed the filter. I've been using Wix filters, since that is the only filter of substance that I can get locally.

I'm using the Amsoil filter as well as the 0w30, which is exactly what I've used in my 77 the last 3+ years.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
^^^also, Synthetic I meant to say.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Hope it's ok to post these....if not, I can delete them, but I'm not marketing anything :):

But this is the oil I'm using:

g2880_Page_1.jpg

g2880_Page_2.jpg

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Here's the flush:

g2763_Page_1.jpg

g2763_Page_2.jpg

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Here's the filter:

g2192_Page_1.jpg

g2192_Page_2.jpg

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine

Since I have some time, I'll take some detailed pics of the rear leafs as well and then post some after pics underneath so you fellas can see exactly what he did.

But the money shot will be the side view before and after for sure. Cant' wait.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Since I have some time, I'll take some detailed pics of the rear leafs as well and then post some after pics underneath so you fellas can see exactly what he did.

But the money shot will be the side view before and after for sure. Cant' wait.

I can't either. :D'toetap'

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
It just dose'nt look like it needs much in the rear.

Let me try to get some pics tomorrow with no angles and a complete side view...these are a little deceiving....it needs lifting for sure.

Mechanic mentioned springs as an option and I crawled under and can't figure for the life of me how that would go on there.....anyone know if springs are an option on this rig?

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine

It actually doesn't look that bad.....just more in my head and would make me happier to lift it a little. :)

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
^^^ that's a bad picture because the pavement lines mess with whether the camera was level.....I'll try to take another somewhere else.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Here's what's under there now and I can't see where shocks would go...maybe someone here can or when I talk to my guy next :suspicious:

It's dirty from the long trip.....one of the things I want to do before it gets stored this winter is to pressure wash the underneath, spray some Eastwoods rust converter around the springs and what not and clean her up a little.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts