Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

78 bronco

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
122309162347_01.jpg

I want those Rims... How much do you want for them...

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I don't know how I missed this thread earlier. PPG still makes the glass, so any auto glass place can get it for you. They may have less mark up than LMC. I'd call around to several, if you go the new route. Oh, and BTW, I'm jealous. :D

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
I don't know how I missed this thread earlier. PPG still makes the glass, so any auto glass place can get it for you. They may have less mark up than LMC. I'd call around to several, if you go the new route. Oh, and BTW, I'm jealous. :D

Glad I can still get it. I'v been searching craigslist and everywhere I can think of to find it, with no luck. I'll call some glass places next week and see what they want for it.

Like I said, it's not a guaranteed thing that I'm getting it yet, we are gonna hear it run/drive it next week and go from there. I need something to drive around February, so I can't have something that needs alot of work done to it.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Called around and a glass place locally wants $300 installed... so that's the route we will go if we get it.

Went back up to look at it today... and it turns over great, but won't start and run. If you spray starting fluid in it, it will run, but as soon as you stop it dies. It has 1/8th tank of gas in it, but it's about 3ish year old, so it could possibly be bad. [confused]

We are gonna take a few gallons up there tommorrow and pour in it, and try it again. I hate to give up, but I don't really feel like draining the tank and everything since I don't own it... and don't wanna buy it if it needs more work than just new gas. I already have two vehicles up here that need alot of work, don't need three of them.

Opportunity came to us today, to buy a 94 Chevy 1500 4x4, so I'm seriusly considering that as of right now. smilieeatndrink

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Called around and a glass place locally wants $300 installed... so that's the route we will go if we get it.

Went back up to look at it today... and it turns over great, but won't start and run. If you spray starting fluid in it, it will run, but as soon as you stop it dies. It has 1/8th tank of gas in it, but it's about 3ish year old, so it could possibly be bad. [confused]

We are gonna take a few gallons up there tommorrow and pour in it, and try it again. I hate to give up, but I don't really feel like draining the tank and everything since I don't own it... and don't wanna buy it if it needs more work than just new gas. I already have two vehicles up here that need alot of work, don't need three of them.

Opportunity came to us today, to buy a 94 Chevy 1500 4x4, so I'm seriusly considering that as of right now. smilieeatndrink

BOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! QUITER!!!!!!!!!!!! just giving ya a hard time. it probably needs a complete tune up. and if there is no gas getting to the carb its either a dirty fuel filter not letting much get past or a bad fuel pump. possibly both. not a whole lot of money. just a lil bit of work for the fuel pump.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
BOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! QUITER!!!!!!!!!!!! just giving ya a hard time. it probably needs a complete tune up. and if there is no gas getting to the carb its either a dirty fuel filter not letting much get past or a bad fuel pump. possibly both. not a whole lot of money. just a lil bit of work for the fuel pump.

I know, I know... it ain't usually my style to quit. And I didn't even think about the fuel filter. :slap:

I just don't feel like replacing parts on a vehicle that doesn't belong to me, and spending hours working on it... only to decide it's not worth the trouble. We still don't know just how much fluid the trans is leaking... it may not even be drivable.

May make a run to the parts house tommorrow, and get a fuel filter. Anybody know how much trouble it is to drain the gas outta these things?

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
I know, I know... it ain't usually my style to quit. And I didn't even think about the fuel filter. :slap:

I just don't feel like replacing parts on a vehicle that doesn't belong to me, and spending hours working on it... only to decide it's not worth the trouble. We still don't know just how much fluid the trans is leaking... it may not even be drivable.

May make a run to the parts house tommorrow, and get a fuel filter. Anybody know how much trouble it is to drain the gas outta these things?

oh i didnt even know the tranny was leaking. any idea on where from?

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
oh i didnt even know the tranny was leaking. any idea on where from?

Yeah, it was leaking before dad sold it.. about a quart every week or two I think. Which I wouldn't mind... he said it's leaking worse now though.

He said it's leaking from the front seal, but I don't know. I haven't looked, and don't know a whole lot about transmissions to begin with...

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Yeah, it was leaking before dad sold it.. about a quart every week or two I think. Which I wouldn't mind... he said it's leaking worse now though.

He said it's leaking from the front seal, but I don't know. I haven't looked, and don't know a whole lot about transmissions to begin with...

if its leaking from the front seal worse than a quart or 2 a week thats not good. and its not very easy to replace. if im not mistaken on the older trannys you have to pull the motor to get to the seal.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
if its leaking from the front seal worse than a quart or 2 a week thats not good. and its not very easy to replace. if im not mistaken on the older trannys you have to pull the motor to get to the seal.

I'm not gonna work on it anyway... I ain't got the tools or know how to do it.

I assumed you probably just had to drop the trans though... I'm sure we are comparing apples to oranges here... but my uncle had a TH350? from a 80ish Chevy truck rebuilt for $800. Is that about average for a C6 as well?

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
if 1/8 of a tank of gas has sat for three years, it could be a whole lot more than a fuel filter. Lines and everything could be gummed up... just saying... Not trying to rain on your parade. But change the filter out and see where that gets you. Good luck!

I am in the same place when it comes to rear glass for my Bronco. I may get lucky, my brother in laws mom has a Bronco on her place that was tipped on its side, and he said all the glass is good, so I may get it cheap.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
if 1/8 of a tank of gas has sat for three years, it could be a whole lot more than a fuel filter. Lines and everything could be gummed up... just saying... Not trying to rain on your parade. But change the filter out and see where that gets you. Good luck!

I am in the same place when it comes to rear glass for my Bronco. I may get lucky, my brother in laws mom has a Bronco on her place that was tipped on its side, and he said all the glass is good, so I may get it cheap.

Yeah, thats why we had to run all new lines on my truck... it sat with a little gas in it for 12years though. :slap:

I'm hoping it's just a fuel filter... but who knows.

I'm not trying to piss in your Wheaties. I promise you that. It's just that you remind me of me when I was younger.

When I was 18 I loved old trucks. I owned a lot of them, they perpetually kept me broke. It was one thing after another.

At your age you need a car. Something less than 8 years old. Something that will get you around, be easy on fuel, cheap to insure, something reliable.

I went down a long and rocky road trying to keep crap built before I was born running. From what you're saying $300 worth of filters and miscellany is a stretch for you. If that's the case then this is not the vehicle for you. Trust me, I've been there.

What are you going to do when you're broke down on Saturday night and staring at a $250 wrecker bill to get you back to the house? Or when you need to sink a few thousand into the drivetrain?

See, I've made all these mistakes. Now that I own a successful business and have disposable income I can buy trucks like this. If I were to get this Bronco I can afford to take it to a professional mechanic and pay $5,000+ to have it rebuilt.

Are you in the position to do that?

I'm not trying to bring you down. Just telling you the reality of what you're getting into.

As a boss if you showed up to apply for a job driving that and later someone else with the same qualifications showed up in a 02 Honda Accord I'd hire the gu in the Honda Accord. Chances are better that I'm not going to get the "I can't come in because my rig broke" call. He's also not going to hit me for advances constantly to pay his NAPA bill.

Old trucks are fun. It's a great hobby. If you can afford it. Wait a few years, the trucks will still be out there. Once you're established, have some disposable income, then find a truck you really like and enjoy it.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
i was able to afford my 82 F100 that need filters and tuneups and lots of different things making only $6 an hour working only 10-15 hours a week. when gas was $4 a gallon. and this was driving nearly 75 miles a week. as long as he plans his money out very well and doesnt waste money he'll be able to afford it.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts